Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just venting about the state of local sales here lately

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Just venting about the state of local sales here lately

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 07:25 AM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
In that particular case, I was annoyed that someone would waste so much of my time, not to mention theirs. Since then I've accepted that there are *a lot* of people who seem to have no problem wasting everyone's time this way. It's frustrating, but I've come to accept it. I'm just a lot better now at shortcutting the timewasters.
But how much time does it take to read a few lines of BS and hit delete? About half a second for me. Life is too short to get upset about Craigslist bottom feeders. Most of them probably don't have what they're offering anyway.
Old 05-22-19, 07:51 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I can't tell, are you being serious? Because saying I haven't been ghosted by ******** from every generation would just be bull****.
Originally Posted by tashi
If an entire generation is being rude to you, it might not be them that's the problem.
You guys can try to make me out to be the bad guy all you want but it won't change the fact the it's pretty well documented the current generation interacts very differently than previous generations. We are all a product of our environments and the kids these days have never known life without the internet, phones, and computers. I actually have quite a few friends in this category and I've spoken to them about this very topic. So I'm not just being some "get off my lawn" guy, I actually interact with them and work with them, and ride bikes with them, and I like them a lot. I'm speaking from experience and real life conversation. And, no, I'm not saying everyone is this way, it's called a generalization. Anyhoo, carry on.
Old 05-22-19, 08:52 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by audiomagnate
But how much time does it take to read a few lines of BS and hit delete? About half a second for me. Life is too short to get upset about Craigslist bottom feeders. Most of them probably don't have what they're offering anyway.
Oh, it's a lot more than "reading a few lines of BS". Arrange to meet, very interested in the bike, load up the bike, meet the guy, chat about bikes, he takes it for a quick spin around the forecourt (I always meet people in a petrol station, there are CCTV cameras everywhere just in case they try to do a runner), he's super-happy with it and thinks it's fantastic...

... but then he asks if I think this bike might attract a lot of attention if he locks it up to a signpost outside his office in the city... (duh, yes, it would, and "unwanted" attention at that!), and then offers me roughly half the asking price (must've been watching too many Gas Monkey Garage TV shows) ... seriously, there's two hours of my time wasted.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 05-22-19, 09:29 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
In Tampa the vintage resale market died a quick death 4-5 years ago. It’s more dead than the Night King & White Walkers.
Old 05-22-19, 01:57 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
In Tampa the vintage resale market died a quick death 4-5 years ago. It’s more dead than the Night King & White Walkers.
Same in STP. IMHO

glad I cleared out most of the bikes......
Likes For gomango:
Old 05-23-19, 05:15 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Also, we don't allow external links in the for sale forum either.
https://www.bikeforums.net/13666780-post6.html
  1. We don't link to Ebay Auctions, although if you have a Craig's List Ad that meets our terms of clear price, etc, that is fine.
I am confused? Respectfully please educate me.

Old 05-23-19, 05:34 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by eom
  1. We don't link to Ebay Auctions, although if you have a Craig's List Ad that meets our terms of clear price, etc, that is fine.
You must state a price when you list a bike in the classifieds. With an eBay auction there is no price stated. It may be an outdated rule because it's rare to see an eBay listing that does not at least start with a Buy it Now.

Definitely a buyers market around here. No need to rush like 5 years ago to scoop up a great deal. Though I have still not bought a thrift store bike in at least 5 years. Sellers have gotten a lot more savvy with social media.
Old 05-23-19, 05:49 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe
You must state a price when you list a bike in the classifieds. With an eBay auction there is no price stated. It may be an outdated rule because it's rare to see an eBay listing that does not at least start with a Buy it Now.

Definitely a buyers market around here. No need to rush like 5 years ago to scoop up a great deal. Though I have still not bought a thrift store bike in at least 5 years. Sellers have gotten a lot more savvy with social media.
Originally Posted by eom
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Having lived in Utah for 6 years, I am a little surprised the OP ever finds buyers. But as far as driving them down to SLC, it's not uncommon for people outside of the SLC area to drive there fairly often, so I think maybe the people asking just assume that.

As far as forum rules go, the OP is not an upgraded member, so he can't sell here (however, y'all are familiar with private messages or no?). Also, we don't allow external links in the for sale forum either. Not sure if those rules will ever be relaxed, it used to be allowed. I appreciate that he has not bowed to pressure and linked to his CL, because I really don't like being the bad guy and deleting things like that.
Restating my request.
Is this correct? Also, we don't allow external links in the for sale forum either.
Is this correct? https://www.bikeforums.net/13666780-post6.html
although if you have a Craig's List Ad that meets our terms of clear price, etc, that is fine.

Old 05-23-19, 05:50 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Most people reckon that the price on CL is just a starting price and you negotiate down. When I sell, I list the work that I've done and negotiate very little if at all.
^ I'm the same. I rarely come down from the posted price, but I list at the fair market value at the time in my area. Listing prices have come down ~30% from three years ago.
Old 05-23-19, 06:53 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Overinvesting in a hobby will inevitably result in a combination of buyers remorse and a stack of stuff that was once interesting and is now not so much.
Divesting the "collection" at anything resembling recovering the cost of acquiring it in a fad/fashion that has waned in niche/age-cadre interest is remotely possible, quickly far less so.

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 05-23-19, 08:13 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Overinvesting in a hobby will inevitably result in a combination of buyers remorse and a stack of stuff that was once interesting and is now not so much.
Divesting the "collection" at anything resembling recovering the cost of acquiring it in a fad/fashion that has waned in niche/age-cadre interest is remotely possible, quickly far less so.

-Bandera
Yep. Wisdom.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 05-23-19, 09:14 AM
jahue

Bikes: Centurion Le-Mans (Bought by my father in-law while in the NAVY in Japan in 1970s), Bianchi campione d'italia 78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
We have the opposite problem here (southern us), we have a lot of demand but very few quality bicycles. That is unless you order from eBay or the likes.
Old 05-23-19, 04:38 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts

-Bandera
Does anyone really expect to recover costs on these? I buy them to try and to enjoy and then if they don't strike that special chord in my heart I move them on to someone else. I see the "money lost" as the price for the fun so that's never an issue.

But rudeness, yeah that's an issue, LOL!
Old 05-23-19, 04:41 PM
turtledove

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Dolce Elite, 19?? Avitar Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Does anyone really expect to recover costs on these? I buy them to try and to enjoy and then if they don't strike that special chord in my heart I move them on to someone else. I see the "money lost" as the price for the fun so that's never an issue.

That's a great mentality to have! We all love our bikes too much and kind of blindsides ourselves to what a potential buyer would think, and get offended when they don't see it as the best thing ever.
Old 05-23-19, 05:04 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by turtledove
That's a great mentality to have! We all love our bikes too much and kind of blindsides ourselves to what a potential buyer would think, and get offended when they don't see it as the best thing ever.
LOL, I probably lose on each one I do sell. But I see the experience as a real value also. That and I try not to consider what I really put in them.

Prime example is one I've got listed at $350. I've got $395 in parts alone not considering tax or shipping costs. On top of that is a Tange Prestige Frame original bike with Dura Ace 7400 parts. I also paid the LBS to do a full teardown and rebuild of it when I got it. So, financially I'm throwing money away but the pleasure of owning, riding, and working on it are tangible factors to me so I don't care.

Helps being single with good income too, LOL!

Hence why I do get annoyed when someone two hours away asks for $150 off and oh can you drive two hours to deliver it to me. Really!!
Old 05-23-19, 05:38 PM
jamesdak 

I'll also say I really enjoy finding some nasty grubby crap of a bike and then as you clean and service finding the gem inside. Especially later when you move it on and you see the light in the buyer's eyes and know you've done something good.

Some good examples were the Club and Team Fuji's and the Trek 560 Pro. All surprisingly bought by younger people who instantly loved the bikes.

I bought the twin of this bike from this seller last summer. Mine looked just as bad as the one in the picture with components frozen up. At least the remaining one pictured here components actually shifted. This one just had a 1 inch scratch in the top tube I didn't want to deal with.

Otherwise mine looked just as bad as this, missing front wheel and all.

Got it home, cleaned it up, serviced the components. Bought a new chain, added a spare saddle, new bar tape, and some nice used wheels and I now have one of the fastest bikes in my stable that's also quite the looker. Pure joy!

This one falls into the "I will never sell" category.

I keep considering "rescuing" the other one from her and fixing it up to sell. Such a sweet bike should not lanquish in a storage unit.
Old 05-23-19, 05:46 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Not trying to be rude at all, just saying that's how it actually works when any hobby gets over-invested by an individual with slow/no "return" in a declining market.

-Bandera
Old 05-23-19, 05:54 PM
jamesdak 

Not trying to be rude at all, just saying that's how it actually works when any hobby gets over-invested by an individual with slow/no "return" in a declining market.

-Bandera
Oh, no, no ... That was not directed at you. It was directed at the people that inspired me to make this post. Sorry, sometimes I don't express my thoughts well in these posts.

I freely admit I'm a "collector" of cool bikes and Kaleidoscopes. But I never have any regrets about this so would never been offended by true comments like what you said. Heck I get half these bikes from people that "collected' them versus riding them. My favorite kind of people, LOL!
Old 05-23-19, 05:58 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-23-19, 06:10 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by hazetguy
I give up. You have these on craigslist? I've looked on every CL region in Utah, Wyoming, and Idaho using those two terms, I'm not seeing it.
I've never used craigslist
Old 05-23-19, 06:14 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by jahue
We have the opposite problem here (southern us), we have a lot of demand but very few quality bicycles. That is unless you order from eBay or the likes.
Where in the southern US? I have found deals in the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida. The market in these areas is soft.
Old 05-23-19, 06:22 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts

-Bandera
Very well put!

Yep, best to get the value out by enjoying the item. Cost recovery later? Less certain. Fads come and go. I do see people that are so attached to what they paid for the item, rather than what it is worth now.
Old 05-23-19, 07:31 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
If he's in Utah, there's a 90+% chance he's selling through the KSL classifieds. CL is basically dead in Utah. KSL is the local (SLC) news and has a basic monopoly on classified ads in the state.
Old 05-24-19, 11:57 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
As an elder "Millenial" (2-4 years just outside of X), this is true of those 10-15 years my junior or more. I don't understand the lack of remotely human interaction (aka, in person, looking at eyes, speaking more than minimally). So I know I'm getting old, but there are standards that must be upheld!
I'm starting to think that you and I must be long lost brothers. I'm in regular "contact" with a variety of younger millennials, and what you say is indeed largely true, and quite worrying. I generally ignore it, but when someone staring at their phone doesn't hold a door, or doesn't even acknowledge the person holding it for them, I usually say something.

Getting back on topic, I've purchased most of my bikes and quite a few parts through Craigslist, and I go out of my way to be as pleasant a buyer as possible, since I'm normally looking at what I consider to be reasonably priced stuff and assuming there is a lot of competition in a market like mine. There are all sorts of sellers out there, and I actually find it sort of fun and interesting to meet them. I generally try to negotiate, but a good bit of background on a bike will make me more likely to pay the full price, which is always in my wallet if I really want something.
Old 05-24-19, 01:42 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
If he's in Utah, there's a 90+% chance he's selling through the KSL classifieds. CL is basically dead in Utah. KSL is the local (SLC) news and has a basic monopoly on classified ads in the state.
I’ve never heard of KSL before, I’ll have to look it up.

One problem with localized sales sites is that it limits getting to people who use search engines for when they are going to be driving through an area or are willing to travel. When looking for something not so common I have used “site:craigslist.org (whatever I’m looking for entered here)” .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.