Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racing nutrition

Old 06-17-19, 06:58 AM
jharpphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Racing nutrition

My 11 yr old is competing in a race soon and we are looking for ideas for pre race day/race day nutrition. What would be some good things for him to eat in the days leading up to his race so that he is able to ride at his maximum output?
Old 06-17-19, 07:23 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
What does he normally eat/drink?
Old 06-17-19, 07:27 AM
jharpphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He usually eats some pasta, chicken and fruit.
Old 06-17-19, 10:03 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by jharpphoto
He usually eats some pasta, chicken and fruit.
He should keep eating that.

Typically races at the 11 yr old junior level are pretty short and nutrition is not much of a factor. You could get a gel that he consumes 15-30 min before his race, and/or get some sports drink for his water bottle during the race.
Likes For cmh:
Old 06-17-19, 02:16 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
My 11 yr old is competing in a race soon and we are looking for ideas for pre race day/race day nutrition. What would be some good things for him to eat in the days leading up to his race so that he is able to ride at his maximum output?
Whatever he/she wants. If the race is vs other 11 year olds it should be some 20-30 min. If not - tell us.
A bit of a difference if a he or she. Even at 11 the boys sweat more.

During race, depends on the weather, but be aware of electrolytes if hot. Be aware of too much water (I typed too much). It is much more likely to over-hydrate, and more dangerous. Water in the bottle and some Gu is ideal. Water for the head and back if hot. Gu has the stuff needed.

Chocolate Milk if there is not milk reaction is about the perfect kid race food.

Short races kids can race on sugar. Longer, less sugar.

Edit Add:
If this is training for racing at age 14, 16, 19 etc, this is a good time to learn how to fuel. As others posted, not much matters at age 11, but teaching them the habits now, may matter for later.
So in that light...(IT DOES NOT MATTER FOR 11 YEAR OLD).
Eat less carbs the night before. I'd cut the fruits. Eat veggies and have the kid used to emptying the...well they should feel un-bloated.

4 hours before protein and fat. These do not fill and provide deeper energy levels.
1 hour before carbs and fat, wee protein. Toasted bagel, cream cheese.
Race time - sugar. But they must keep it up. Live by sugar, die by sugar. Esp kids. I sometimes favor taking sugar mid race. It is easy for a jacked up kid to go too hard too early and forget to eat.

I'd keep them off of any stimulants (caffeine) until much older. Sugar is magic. But if they run out, they explode off the back.

Last edited by Doge; 06-17-19 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 02:54 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I agree with CMH. It sounds like his diet is fine.
Old 06-17-19, 03:13 PM
Doge

You advisors are forgetting the veggies / clean the bowls stuff. Esp kids. Eat those greens. Broccoli.

... some pasta, chicken and fruit.

Should be

... (complex carb), (meat) and broccoli.

Cut the carbs and just do meat and broccoli.

Carbs are essential race power fuel - but go to sugar at race start. Night before won't matter. Empty bowls will.
Old 06-17-19, 03:43 PM
cmh

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Doge, you are probably right that more veggies would be good (and not mentioned in the OP's post), and that kids can overdo sugar and then crash later. But it sounds like this is the 11 year old's first race, and my point was to eat what you usually do and don't worry about it. Having the gu or race drink would help the kid feel like they are doing something special to help them go fast and might be a psychological boost.
Old 06-17-19, 03:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Whatever he/she wants. If the race is vs other 11 year olds it should be some 20-30 min. If not - tell us.
A bit of a difference if a he or she. Even at 11 the boys sweat more.

During race, depends on the weather, but be aware of electrolytes if hot. Be aware of too much water (I typed too much). It is much more likely to over-hydrate, and more dangerous. Water in the bottle and some Gu is ideal. Water for the head and back if hot. Gu has the stuff needed.

Chocolate Milk if there is not milk reaction is about the perfect kid race food.

Short races kids can race on sugar. Longer, less sugar.

Edit Add:
If this is training for racing at age 14, 16, 19 etc, this is a good time to learn how to fuel. As others posted, not much matters at age 11, but teaching them the habits now, may matter for later.
Eat less carbs the night before. I'd cut the fruits. Eat veggies and have the kid used to emptying the...well they should feel un-bloated.

4 hours before protein and fat. These do not fill and provide deeper energy levels.
1 hour before carbs and fat, wee protein. Toasted bagel, cream cheese.
Race time - sugar. But they must keep it up. Live by sugar, die by sugar. Esp kids. I sometimes favor taking sugar mid race. It is easy for a jacked up kid to go too hard too early and forget to eat.

I'd keep them off of any stimulants (caffeine) until much older. Sugar is magic. But if they run out, they explode off the back.
Umm, around here 11 year olds typically race at 0 Dark Thirty. I wouldn't recommend waking a kid up in the middle of the night to eat some steak.
Old 06-17-19, 03:47 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
holy fudge.

how long is the race? Chances are, if it's morning, they don't need anything.
Old 06-17-19, 04:31 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by gsteinb
...Chances are, if it's morning, they don't need anything.

Originally Posted by caloso
Umm, around here 11 year olds typically race at 0 Dark Thirty. I wouldn't recommend waking a kid up in the middle of the night to eat some steak.

What I posted:

The OP asked about eating. I answered and qualified. An 11 year old eating and races are different than adults. A kid racing an adult should fuel differently than the adult. They respond differently to sugar for example - it is closer to a drug. If the OP is looking beyond 11, then best start now. It took years for the kids I was with to get it right.
At 13-14 some are doing 60 mile RR in the hills. Some aren't but if you have that power and talent and don't know how to eat it is a rather large issue.

Doing it all over again, I'd make eating a bigger deal at age 11 so it was a non-issue at age 14.

But...for a race at age 11 - I agree with all the above posts. It does not matter.

Last edited by Doge; 06-17-19 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 11:05 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Ice cream.
Likes For UmneyDurak:
Old 06-18-19, 11:32 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Ice cream.
My daughter had issues with milk. My son had none, so raced about ages 10-12 on chocolate milk in one bottle and water in the other. One hot race he forgot which was which and used the chocolate milk to pour over his head. It was funny and the last time he used dairy.

But Ice Cream in the water bottle would be great stuff.
Old 06-24-19, 10:07 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
My daughter had issues with milk. My son had none, so raced about ages 10-12 on chocolate milk in one bottle and water in the other. One hot race he forgot which was which and used the chocolate milk to pour over his head. It was funny and the last time he used dairy.

But Ice Cream in the water bottle would be great stuff.
I love my post ride chocolate milk, but if you make me drink it during a race I'm going to throw up for sure.
Likes For Flatballer: