Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which of these two tires is best for beach at low tide?

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-19, 06:19 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Left: wtb Horozion 650b x 47mm
Right: Clement X'plor mso 650b x 50mm
I will be covering 15-20 miles of beach sand at low tide and riding near the water where the sand will be firm.

Slicks or All Terrain?
Ideal Psi range?

Thanks!

Last edited by AllWeatherJeff; 06-23-19 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 07:24 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I'd vote for the knobby. But I doubt it'll actually make much difference.
Old 06-24-19, 08:34 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Another option is the Schwalbe G-One. That one was designed for Dutch and Belgian beach races and will work pretty well as a gravel tyre as well.

Old 06-24-19, 08:45 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
It really depends on the sand. The sand on Long Island's barrier island (Fire Island) where I've tried this, is simply too soft to ride a bike on. You can go a while, but when you hit a soft spot you sink immediately. No fun.

I hear down south they have better sand.

The knobs won't make any difference, I'd go with the smooth tread, and pressure can be very low. Let some air out when you get to the beach, pump up again when you get back on the road.
Likes For rhm:
Old 06-24-19, 09:07 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Another option is the Schwalbe G-One. That one was designed for Dutch and Belgian beach races and will work pretty well as a gravel tyre as well.

I've heard good things about the Shwalbes you recommend. However, I already own the two types of tires in th OP. So those are my only choices for this particular ride.

Odd that I lived near beaches in Cali for decades, and rode all over the place, but I've never ridden on a bike on the beach.
Old 06-24-19, 09:10 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Well, the Koga Beachracer comes fitted with Schwalbe Big Ones, so I don't think tread really matters. The widest slick you can fit seems to be the way to go.
Old 06-24-19, 09:16 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Psi: <20. Unless you're on a fat bike, I'd cram the widest possible tire into the frame. Tread in the corners can improve flotation on sand once you've maxed out the tire casing size.
Likes For OneIsAllYouNeed:
Old 06-24-19, 09:40 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
It really depends on the sand. The sand on Long Island's barrier island (Fire Island) where I've tried this, is simply too soft to ride a bike on. You can go a while, but when you hit a soft spot you sink immediately. No fun.

I hear down south they have better sand.

The knobs won't make any difference, I'd go with the smooth tread, and pressure can be very low. Let some air out when you get to the beach, pump up again when you get back on the road.
The sandy stretch will be the final leg of a 300k ride from Philly to Chincoteague, VA. The beach in question is Assateague Island (yes, that's the actual name) along the northern coastline of Virginia. I should be hitting the Assateague just as afternoon low tide is settling in. I've no idea what the sand is like on that beach though.
Old 06-24-19, 10:11 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Right, I think I've heard that that beach is good for riding. No first hand experience, but I think you'll be okay.

At any rate, choose the tire that's best for the majority of the ride. I assume that's the smooth one.

If the beach is bad for riding, it will slow you down occasionally, but you'll probably be able to ride most of the way. If you have to get off and walk two or three times, no big deal.

When's this ride? I hope you'll report back, I'd like to hear how it went.