Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Sweat Smells like Ammonia

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 09:09 AM
FromBeyond

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Allez; 1995 Schwinn Frontier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've read online that sweat smelling like ammonia after a long workout comes from your muscles being in a highly catabolic state.
Obviously, this would be bad, especially if you don't want to lose muscle.
Does this happen to you after long rides?
Is the answer simply more carbs?
Old 07-01-18, 09:36 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by FromBeyond
I've read online that sweat smelling like ammonia after a long workout comes from your muscles being in a highly catabolic state.
It did, after my return to cycling after a long (too long) layoff. It lasted for a short while (I don't remember exactly; perhaps a month?) but as my fitness improved the smell disappeared. I think the answer isn't more carbs; I think the answer is improved fitness.
Old 07-01-18, 05:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If it persists and your diet is appropriate for your activity, get your kidneys checked out. The only time I've noticed an ammonia sort of body odor in people was in the patients with renal failure in our hemodialysis clinic. But that's an extreme and limited sampling group, not necessarily indicative of ammonia odor in otherwise fit and healthy people.

And keep a journal of your foods, prescription and non-prescription meds, supplements, etc. There might be something in there contributing to the odor. My urine reeks of coffee after drinking coffee, and some supplements, protein powders, etc., affect my body odor, etc. Recently I've noticed a metallic odor in my sweat. Probably due to increasing my iron and mineral supplements after I tested borderline anemic in May. Many folks report the same metallic odor in their sweat after workouts or working outdoors in heat, so it's fairly normal.
Old 07-01-18, 07:52 PM
FromBeyond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It only happens occasionally at the end of multi-hour cardio-type events, which I've not done much of for the last few years. I used to just ignore it as my peers all had similar experiences, I thought it was normal.

I started commuting 16 miles each way about 3 weeks ago, and I was also lifting weights the first week. I anticipated more ammonia odor, but it's been minimal. Did some research online, just wanted to hear if other cyclists had dealt with it. I believe more carbs is part of the answer, just curious if there's anything I hadn't heard of yet.

For me, the biggest downside of commuting by bike is that I'm losing weight. I worked hard in the gym to gain 15 pounds over the last ~year and now I'm losing weight.
Old 07-01-18, 08:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
No. You're burning protein from your muscles. Try burning protein from your diet. Hard cardio burns not only carbs but also protein (obviously). Give it a try: 30' before a ride, 15g whey protein + 10g sugar in ~6 oz. water. Immediately after the ride, 25g whey protein + 20g sugar in ~16 oz. water. Report back. Quantities are experimental, can probably be improved upon.

After each commute leg, have maybe 15g whey protein + 10g sugar. Mix it up ahead of time. Or the same thing before rather than after, but not both. Weight loss might stop or at least slow..
Old 07-01-18, 09:32 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
It only happens occasionally at the end of multi-hour cardio-type events, which I've not done much of for the last few years. I used to just ignore it as my peers all had similar experiences, I thought it was normal.

I started commuting 16 miles each way about 3 weeks ago, and I was also lifting weights the first week. I anticipated more ammonia odor, but it's been minimal. Did some research online, just wanted to hear if other cyclists had dealt with it. I believe more carbs is part of the answer, just curious if there's anything I hadn't heard of yet.

For me, the biggest downside of commuting by bike is that I'm losing weight. I worked hard in the gym to gain 15 pounds over the last ~year and now I'm losing weight.
That's typically the point, unless you're referring to losing muscle, which is not typically an issue (unless there are additional factors) with normal aerobic exercise. Your body will tend to preserve muscle.

On the other hand, many men equate their weight/size with masculinity and therefore, mistakenly believe that a thinner frame is weaker and/or viewed as less masculine.

This reminded me of an incident from several years ago when I asked one of my teachers if he wanted to join me in fasting. He said no, because he didn't want to look weak. To me that sounded peculiar since I was significantly learner than him but in my entire life no one has ever said I look weak.

In fact, I still get regular compliment from total strangers stating just the opposite.
Old 07-02-18, 12:16 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
The short term solution is yes, you're glycogen depleted at the end of these long workouts and your body is starting to burn muscle. Some quick acting carbs are your best bet - drinks and gels. Better yet, carb up before you hit the wall.

Originally Posted by RChung
It did, after my return to cycling after a long (too long) layoff. It lasted for a short while (I don't remember exactly; perhaps a month?) but as my fitness improved the smell disappeared. I think the answer isn't more carbs; I think the answer is improved fitness.
This is the long term solution. With improved fitness comes better fat adaptation. Now you can ride longer and harder burning more fat and you're less likely to become glycogen depleted.
Old 07-02-18, 12:19 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

You can passively become better fat adapted as your fitness increases.

You can also attempt your morning commute in a fasted state to speed up the process.

https://blog.trainerroad.com/program...sted-training/
Likes For colombo357:
Old 07-02-18, 12:35 PM
FromBeyond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the article, Colombo.
I almost never eat breakfast so I'm getting pretty close to that fasted state for the morning ride. And it always feels better to ride (or do any cardio) on an empty stomach.
Bicycling is different from most of the cardio I'm familiar with. It doesn't feel like you're exerting yourself as hard as you are, I assume due to the limited range of motion and muscle movements.
Thanks for the posts and info guys.
Old 07-03-18, 12:48 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Personally, I don't recommend fasted cardio since for many it tends to have a very short rise to diminishing return. Nevertheless, some people can get away with it just fine. You may be one of them.

As to the ammonia sweat, some men (never noticed this in women) tend to have it more than others. Never really understood why. Just don't forget to hydrate.
Old 07-03-18, 06:23 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Last time I had ammonia smelling sweat was when I was undiagnosed with type 1 diabetes... I was also losing weight pretty rapidly back then. If you're feeling more thirsty than usual and need to urinate more / wake up to urinate most nights, you should probably get your blood glucose checked out
Old 07-03-18, 11:22 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Thanks for the article, Colombo.
I almost never eat breakfast so I'm getting pretty close to that fasted state for the morning ride. And it always feels better to ride (or do any cardio) on an empty stomach.
Bicycling is different from most of the cardio I'm familiar with. It doesn't feel like you're exerting yourself as hard as you are, I assume due to the limited range of motion and muscle movements.
Thanks for the posts and info guys.
If you're sensitive to eating before the ride, eat 2-3 hours before if you can. If you can't, eat something like a carby sports bar in the 15 minutes preceding the ride. That'll get your metabolism operational. Then eat to hunger.
Old 07-11-19, 08:34 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
After a 3 hour ride today in the heat I smelled like ammonia. I was like you did drink too much beer last night maybe that was it? I had a good ride and felt strong despite the heat I just smelled like ammonia. I ate plenty of carbs before but maybe I depleted them since I was pushing kind of hard today.
Old 07-11-19, 08:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I never thought of it as fasting but I used to ride my 45 mile training loop early before breakfast. Woke up at ~5am, on the bike at 5:30, home before 8, fed and at work by 9. That year I was in phenomenal shape. Ate like a horse, probably 4000 cal/day. Worked really well for me. And cutting into my precious sleep to get up an hour or two earlier and eat? How's that work?

Ben
Old 07-11-19, 09:09 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

It is called gluconeogenesis, and it happens when your body consumes your muscle proteins to produce glucose. The ammonia is generated from amino acids as they are metabolized from your muscle proteins. This happens probably because you don't have much body fat.

I believe more carbs is part of the answer. Eat breakfast. Don't starve yourself before working out.
Old 07-12-19, 07:50 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I never thought of it as fasting but I used to ride my 45 mile training loop early before breakfast. Woke up at ~5am, on the bike at 5:30, home before 8, fed and at work by 9. That year I was in phenomenal shape. Ate like a horse, probably 4000 cal/day. Worked really well for me. And cutting into my precious sleep to get up an hour or two earlier and eat? How's that work?

Ben
Thats pretty damaging to your body long term.
Old 07-12-19, 04:11 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
You can passively become better fat adapted as your fitness increases.
If you ride slow enough. But if speed/power is your aim, then you need to have some carbs.

At 276 average watts you're burning approximately 1000 calories an hour.

Unless you're fasted. Then you're just bonking.
Old 07-12-19, 04:13 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
And cutting into my precious sleep to get up an hour or two earlier and eat? How's that work?
It works by not spending an hour or two eating.
Old 07-12-19, 05:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Ben
Doesn't have to be either way. See my last year's post 12 in this thread. Eat something while you get dressed. On the bike, eat high GI carbs. OTOH I don't think there's any evidence that what you did is bad, as long as you eat it back and quickly after the ride, which it sounds like you did. Like rubik says, depends on your goals for that particular ride. I do that sort of stuff as endurance, never go hard for very long without carbs. On many rides I don't eat until I get that uh-oh feeling, then I take some long pulls on my bottle of goodies. Getting more fat adapted is helpful, but I'm not sure there's evidence that doing anything out of the ordinary is necessary, unless one calls "ride lots" out of the ordinary.