Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 07-16-19, 09:54 AM
Gashepherd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL View Post
At least they've got a couple. I went to work out of town one time without my ride and after having just had knee surgery (needed physical therapy); stopped in a thrift store to see if I could find something to roll on, but nothing. Found another place that had 2 cheap step-through "mtb" bikes that essentially were un-rideable, but grabbed one for $15 and rebuilt; gave it back to the thrift store when I left 2 months later (I told them I'd give back when I bought it; they thought I was a little wacked out; and I am!), so someone ended up with a decent riding bike, and I told the thrift store that it was now worth $20 when they resell it. My brother just picked up a decent Trek from a thrift shop for $30, but you need to always be checking these places. I live near a couple colleges so always a fairly decent amount to choose from, although many aren't much to write home about. That "PAN WORLD" bike looks in pretty good shape for what it is. I've also got a "repurposed" materials/goods business in town and have picked up a Royal Scot for $40; trying to get their Robin Hood for the past year and a half, but they won't budge on the price ($100), and it's getting in worse shape every day so I drop my offer $5 every 3-4 months; much longer and I'll only be offering $5 for the hunk of rust that remains. Everybody thinks it's collectible if seen on ebay for hundreds of dollars, but they neglect to see what condition these bikes are in compared to their own. That is now the biggest problem with second hand bikes being sold at businesses and on Craigslist; everyone has that "rare" bike that's "selling" (or trying to sell) for over $1000; apparently your Pinarello Dogma on ebay makes the value of my Pinarello "sport frame" worth a couple grand just because of the name nowadays; NOT!
It's actually in great shape, the crazy thing is that 2-3 years ago it would have come out at $25-$30, that is some crazy inflation
Old 07-16-19, 11:39 AM
All Terrain

Bikes: 1996 Specialized S-Works Steel, 1983 Maruishi Town and Country, 1982 Rocky Mountain Sherpa, 1984 Falcon Harrier, plus a dozen more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Probably won't make anyone envious with these finds, but I like them.

First is an old Raleigh that's been outside for a long time. Second is a Vagabond a lot like my first mtb. An easy fix. Third is a bike from 'The Bay'. Also an easy fix.

Last edited by All Terrain; 07-16-19 at 12:00 PM.
Likes For All Terrain:
Old 07-16-19, 11:53 AM
All Terrain

Bikes: 1996 Specialized S-Works Steel, 1983 Maruishi Town and Country, 1982 Rocky Mountain Sherpa, 1984 Falcon Harrier, plus a dozen more.

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

This old lugged Bigfoot is a nice score.
Old 07-17-19, 02:25 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Bridgestone RB-T, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
It's not much, but it's the only thing I felt comfortable removing from the scrap metal area of the county dump during today's run. I always check and there's always some poor discarded, probably-still-useful bike tossed on the pile for metal recycling. Today there were several big box BSOs, some juvie bikes, an ancient yellow Varsity that should have outlived us all, and a black Schwinn World leaning against a section of Jersey wall like it thought it had a chance of escaping. Good luck, pal, but don't bet on it. This 5 LED QR light was attached to the bars and I could remove it without tools so I took it as a mark of protest. As I was leaving two guys got out of a pickup and removed two shiny BMX bikes from the truck bed and scrapped 'em. Jeez...
Old 07-20-19, 12:39 PM
Elad63

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1970's something Zeus Competition. Donated to our local CO OP. Should fix up nicely.

Hi
Old 07-20-19, 12:49 PM
optimusprime8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice!
Old 07-21-19, 09:10 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Dang coop 😎, ***gin pretty clean.
Old 07-21-19, 09:12 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Wow auto censors! I can't type in ***gin. What in the hack!?
Old 07-21-19, 09:15 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Apparently their sensors don't use regular expressions so can't detect word boundaries. Imagine trying to search for the brand. Aren't we all supposed to be adults here?
Old 07-21-19, 08:07 PM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Update: 1985 Bianchi Bici II

Originally Posted by SeanBikes View Post
Next project will be a replacement for my GF's stolen bike. Picked this up for cheap, lots of cleaning and some fresh parts and it will be running like new!

Here it is!

Had a lot more hidden work than I though there would be at first glance. Complete bottom-bracket overhaul and some major cleaning on the drivetrain components, but now it all works beautifully. The GF prefers bull horns to drop bars, so please forgive me for the departure from the original set-up. Bought some cheap bar tape on Amazon and it already started to peel apart while I was putting it on...

I'm currently awaiting the delivery of some new SRAM cork tape and avoiding the cheaper stuff from now on.

Cheers!
Old 07-21-19, 08:12 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Why did you run the brake cables out the back of the levers?
Old 07-21-19, 08:28 PM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow View Post
Why did you run the brake cables out the back of the levers?
Honestly, I accidentally ordered some inline levers and didn't notice until they arrived, so we just went with it... They are intended to be used as additional levers for the horizontal part of the bar when running traditional drop bar levers:

The cable ends didn't fit nicely in the cut-outs at the back of the levers (since they're intended for cable housings/ferrules), so we ran them in reverse to stop them from jiggling around. Looks a little awkward, but they work fine. Probably wouldn't do it again though!

Last edited by SeanBikes; 07-21-19 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-23-19, 05:08 PM
Vonruden 
Gold Member

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Found this one destined for the scrap heap.

Changed the shoes, oiled the chain and dusted off some rust. Ready to leave unattended when I hit the local watering hole.
Likes For Vonruden:
Old 07-23-19, 08:59 PM
Miele Man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Vonruden View Post
Found this one destined for the scrap heap.

Changed the shoes, oiled the chain and dusted off some rust. Ready to leave unattended when I hit the local watering hole.
The rust on the brake levers should clean right off with a bit of ultra-fine steel wool and a bit of car polish after.

That rake on the front fork should give the bike a very comfortable ride and soak up a lot of road shock as you ride over bumps and/or expansion cracks/gaps.

It's great that such a fantastic bike destined for the ignominy of the scrap heap was rescued. Well done. I hope you enjoy the ride.

Cheers
Old 07-24-19, 12:01 PM
Ashwen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our Goodwill is looking up!

Yesterday my youngest son (age 15) found two 1976 Motobecane grand jubilee touring bikes - 531 frames with Huret components - 30 bucks apiece. He is making one into a single speed and dad gets the other. I couldn’t be more proud if I had found them myself .

At least they've got a couple. I went to work out of town one time without my ride and after having just had knee surgery (needed physical therapy); stopped in a thrift store to see if I could find something to roll on, but nothing. Found another place that had 2 cheap step-through "mtb" bikes that essentially were un-rideable, but grabbed one for $15 and rebuilt; gave it back to the thrift store when I left 2 months later (I told them I'd give back when I bought it; they thought I was a little wacked out; and I am!), so someone ended up with a decent riding bike, and I told the thrift store that it was now worth $20 when they resell it. My brother just picked up a decent Trek from a thrift shop for $30, but you need to always be checking these places. I live near a couple colleges so always a fairly decent amount to choose from, although many aren't much to write home about. That "PAN WORLD" bike looks in pretty good shape for what it is. I've also got a "repurposed" materials/goods business in town and have picked up a Royal Scot for $40; trying to get their Robin Hood for the past year and a half, but they won't budge on the price ($100), and it's getting in worse shape every day so I drop my offer $5 every 3-4 months; much longer and I'll only be offering $5 for the hunk of rust that remains. Everybody thinks it's collectible if seen on ebay for hundreds of dollars, but they neglect to see what condition these bikes are in compared to their own. That is now the biggest problem with second hand bikes being sold at businesses and on Craigslist; everyone has that "rare" bike that's "selling" (or trying to sell) for over $1000; apparently your Pinarello Dogma on ebay makes the value of my Pinarello "sport frame" worth a couple grand just because of the name nowadays; NOT!
O
Old 07-24-19, 12:18 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by Ashwen View Post
Yesterday my youngest son (age 15) found two 1976 Motobecane grand jubilee touring bikes - 531 frames with Huret components - 30 bucks apiece. He is making one into a single speed and dad gets the other. I couldn’t be more proud if I had found them myself .
Cool. Unless the drivetrain is trashed, your son will be able to make a few bucks on the deal selling them here or on eBay. I just lucked into one of them as well. Every bit of the drivetrain - derailleurs, shifters, clamps - was Huret Jubilee.
Old 07-24-19, 12:43 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Cool. Unless the drivetrain is trashed, your son will be able to make a few bucks on the deal selling them here or on eBay. I just lucked into one of them as well. Every bit of the drivetrain - derailleurs, shifters, clamps - was Huret Jubilee.
I agree, or trade for a dedicated/built single speed.
Old 07-24-19, 11:46 PM
HPL
HPL

Bikes: Presently riding: '98 FONDRIEST X STATUS, 85/86 BATAVUS Criterium; 69/70 RALEIGH Sports, '86 Colnago Nuovo Mexico; others waiting their turn

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

O
Excellent utilization of "kid power". That's why my Dad always brought us to the dump; the three little scavengers that we were. Nice frames to work on!
Old 07-25-19, 02:53 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 51 Posts
Not sure if I should bother to bring this dump (yup, still sitting at the local dump) art home. The painting is roughly 30 inches by 30 inches. If it is still there on Saturday, when I next visit the dump, I think that I will grab it for my man cave/bike shop...
Old 07-25-19, 04:51 AM
Vonruden 
Gold Member

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

O
Very nice, more then likely with Brooks saddles. Welcome aboard!

Get on your bikes and ride!

https://instagram.com/norseamerican/
Old 07-25-19, 05:35 AM
smontanaro 

Excellent utilization of "kid power". That's why my Dad always brought us to the dump; the three little scavengers that we were. Nice frames to work on!
Come on now! Admit that you and your sibs begged your dad to take you.
Old 07-27-19, 07:02 AM
Ashwen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vonruden View Post
Very nice, more then likely with Brooks saddles. Welcome aboard!
Thank you! I wish I could post pictures but I have to put up more posts. Unfortunately the saddles are not original but would they have more likely been Ideal?
Old 07-27-19, 08:34 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Picked-up this freebie yesterday from this nice older gentleman. His brother was the original owner and it was handed down to him. He even printed out a transfer of ownership. lol I'll probably try to fit 700's since I'm not spending on some new 26in tires for this.
IMG_9424 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_9426 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_9428 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 07-27-19, 10:40 PM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Schwinn Le Tour II, Giant Excursion, NEXT Avalon 22636

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
Yes, 24" wheels but still single speed. Schwinn Predator 24, for example. Neat bike if you can find one. Your BMX sticker was probably a fifty cent accessory stuck to the head tube.

I guess Chiorda as the brand of that mixte.
Sorry for the late response. Really appreciate your post, would never have guessed Chiorda seeing as i; never even heard of the brand prior. Did research after originally reading your post days ago and found a couple of folk who had posted great up close pictures of other Chiorda's and you're guess was spot on, they apparently used the same design for the crown on all of their bikes.
Old 07-28-19, 09:50 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Bridgestone RB-T, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by game_player_s View Post
Sorry for the late response. Really appreciate your post, would never have guessed Chiorda seeing as i; never even heard of the brand prior. Did research after originally reading your post days ago and found a couple of folk who had posted great up close pictures of other Chiorda's and you're guess was spot on, they apparently used the same design for the crown on all of their bikes.
Well. it wasn't really a guess since we have one hanging in the garage. I was hedging my bets since I typed that without actually going out there to look at the bike before posting. This began as a white road bike that I converted in '83 to an MTB for my then-girlfriend, now wife. Every Chiorda I've ever seen came with a Thun bottom bracket, as does yours, but it was the fan-shaped bridge between the twin laterals and seat tube that got my attention, along with the flat seatstay bridge. Anyway, I just took some pix to verify the head lug detail and I will accept plaudits for being right about something. I doesn't happen often.

Incidentally, this bike and three of its sisters are for sale in C&V Sales under the title "The wife sez, "Sell my bikes."

Last edited by thumpism; 07-28-19 at 09:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.