Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here ride with a camera mounted to their bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-26-15, 12:27 PM
Bobasaurus

Bikes: Giant Liv Alight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We live a block from the ocean and it's a popular area for people to visit. On the weekends and evenings we get more traffic from people coming to visit the beach, but it's usually pretty safe to ride.

Yesterday afternoon, at approximately 5:30 pm, we were out riding around our neighborhood. We were heading East along a two lane street that connects to another street at a T-Intersection in the middle. There is a stop sign for traffic going East & West. There was a teenage boy in a brand new Audi approaching the intersection on the opposite side. So I slowed down, began to come to a stop, and used the appropriate hand signal to show that we were turning left. This teenager sees me, proceeds to not only run the stop sign, but actually sped up and smiled as he passed.

I was blown away by his reckless behavior. I mentioned this to a friend who suggested that I mount a camera to my bike for instances like this. My honest hope is that I don't run into this sort of situation again, but in the event that I do and am involved in an accident, it could possibly help.

I'd like to hear other peoples' thoughts on this and if you've had any experiences where you think having a camera might have been beneficial.
Old 09-26-15, 02:20 PM
MMLC
Lanterne Rogue

Bikes: '02 Bianchi Strada, '01 Specialized Rockhopper, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1 Pro, 70's Fuji road bike, '15 Diamondback Apex Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A camera would have done nothing for you in this situation without a tag # and then it is still unlikely the cops would pursue it having other pressing matters like where the next doghnut meetup is.
Old 09-26-15, 03:26 PM
mrFreel

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Trek 520, Surly Straggler, Trek Roscoe 8, Fisher HK2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my bike mounted GoPro to capture the beauty of the ride and try to forget the idiots I may encounter.

mike
Old 09-26-15, 03:59 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mrFreel
I use my bike mounted GoPro to capture the beauty of the ride and try to forget the idiots I may encounter.

mike
Not yet but I'm going for one of those Gopro's,, just to capture my ride and anything else
Old 09-26-15, 06:46 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
I've got a Contour Roam that I keep mounted on my handlebars. It's mostly there to just record my rides, but it does also serve to document the "anything else" possibilities. Thus far, I've not needed it in that capacity, but given it's unobtrusive form factor, I see no down side to having it on board.
Old 09-26-15, 07:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Since I began riding again a month ago I've videoed several rides. Mostly out of curiosity, to see if I'm as wobbly as I feel. Also videoed my first ride on a local bike trail. And a few nighttime rides with lights to be sure they're visible.

No drama with cars yet, knock wood. Maybe folks here are more bike-conscious than they used to be - 30 years ago I gave up riding around Texas. Maybe it's because I assume I'm invisible and never believe a driver has actually seen me, even when we make eye contact and wave, exchange pleasantries and agree to meet for coffee. I still assume I'm actually invisible and they're talking to someone on their cell phone rather than to me.

If there's the slightest doubt at a residential 4-way stop intersection, I'll veer right and go behind them if they show even the slightest inclination to cheat into the intersection while I've got the right of way. Some rides I make a lot of superfluous right hand turns and loop back around, rather than turning left across traffic. I'm not in that big a hurry.
Old 09-27-15, 04:37 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I just installed a handle bar clamp to hold my iPhone while riding. Keeps phone screen visible & readily accessible. It's pretty nice so far.
Old 09-27-15, 08:53 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I also just mounted my iPhone to the bars just in case. Does come in handy for photos of strange things sometimes
Old 09-27-15, 10:50 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I truly feel sorry for anyone that mounts a camera to their bike for legal purposes.
Old 09-27-15, 11:17 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
I truly feel sorry for anyone that mounts a camera to their bike for legal purposes.
Why? With all the hit-n-run fatalities lately, I know it's not going to save my life, but I hope at least the POS gets caught.
I have rearward-facing camera & blinky light combination, and have ordered a front-facing camera.

I truly feel sorry for anyone judging others for taking precautions. Besides, the footage I got descending Pikes Peak last month was awesome! Didn't break 60mph, but it was still a kick to ride and to watch.
Old 09-28-15, 02:23 PM
MMLC
Lanterne Rogue

Bikes: '02 Bianchi Strada, '01 Specialized Rockhopper, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1 Pro, 70's Fuji road bike, '15 Diamondback Apex Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Why? With all the hit-n-run fatalities lately, I know it's not going to save my life, but I hope at least the POS gets caught.
I have rearward-facing camera & blinky light combination, and have ordered a front-facing camera.

I truly feel sorry for anyone judging others for taking precautions. Besides, the footage I got descending Pikes Peak last month was awesome! Didn't break 60mph, but it was still a kick to ride and to watch.
Lucas Brunelle has a spiffy front/rear view setup.
Old 09-28-15, 03:33 PM
yayforebikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a DBPower Sj4000 action camera mounted on my helmet. It was less than $100 and seems to get the job done. I can post any sample previews on how it will look if people are interested.
Old 09-28-15, 04:09 PM
bakes1
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by calamarichris

That's why I referenced for 'legal purposes'
A camera for cool scenery is a great idea imo.
Just not down with the whole 'let's videotape every second of our lives' thing so we can either bore all our friends on social media or try to be junior police.
Old 09-28-15, 04:40 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
That's why I referenced for 'legal purposes'
A camera for cool scenery is a great idea imo.
Just not down with the whole 'let's videotape every second of our lives' thing so we can either bore all our friends on social media or try to be junior police.
Not trying to be junior police. Just making sure when(/if?) I get negligently homicided by a texting driver, that I leave some evidence to put the POS away or at least give my surviving relatives the tools they need to bankrupt her/his family.
People are still too casual about texting & driving, and we (and motorcyclists) are paying the price for their selfishness. We as a society must view texting-driving the way we now view drunken driving. It's not more forgivable or understandable when you kill someone.

I rejoice whenever a texting driver takes her- or himself out of the genepool without take one of us along. We've had a few even in my hometown. Stupid young speeding girl looked up from her phone to see the red light and stopped cars, and cut her car in half on the light pole. Darwin is cruel to the individual, but kind to the species.

Last edited by calamarichris; 09-28-15 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-28-15, 04:54 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,490 Times in 2,843 Posts
I have several cases I have submitted to the cops this year, including this new one from yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF8tJC7LBnM
What happens can vary by department. I've dealt with 3 different PD's so far.

Some advice:

1. Get a license plate on video. They will take a plate verbally, but having it on video is so much better. I've gone from a Contour Roam to a Replay XD Prime X for the better video quality. 1080 resolution at 30fps is minimum quality.

2. Get the drivers face on video if possible. Ideally, if you can catch them at the next light and pull up alongside, you can get the drivers face. You don't need to say anything, but my temper always causes me to say *something*. Remember if the camera is on top of your helmet, you might need to tilt your head down when you are close beside them to get a face. One case I reported had no faces, and the car was registered to a married couple, so they just got a personal visit from a cop and verbal warning.

3. Cops may ask for unedited video. I use Google Drive for this. The original video is also better quality than the end result after Youtube processes it.

This is my favorite case so far. Driver must return from California Oct 20 to appear in court for arraignment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbIhrsL6JXY
Old 09-29-15, 02:18 AM
bakes1
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The real life inspiration for Jake Gyllenhaal's character in Nightcrawler.
Very cool.
Old 09-29-15, 03:35 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by mrFreel

mike
Same here just use my GoPro to capture my rides, not worried about capturing an encounter with a knuckle head driver.
Old 09-30-15, 10:27 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But, unfortunately, in some locations, it is necessary.

There's a reason why a lot of the crazy traffic videos come from Russia. That's because people have learned that the police and others may try to do thing to either harass or extort you. But if you have a dashboard cam, that harassment and extortion goes down dramatically.

Think of it as pretty much the same for bicyclists. Some drivers will harass cyclists (e.g. throw things, roll coal, threaten you), but if you have a helmet cam, then they are less likely to do so, and more likely to pay for it if they do.

And as others have mentioned, if you're in an accident, it is not your word against theirs.

GH
Old 09-30-15, 10:35 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,490 Times in 2,843 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
And as others have mentioned, if you're in an accident, it is not your word against theirs.

GH
Exactly.
Last time I was in a traffic accident, I got royally shafted by a clueless cop who took the other party's lies as truth.
That is why I put a dashcam in my car.
Same for the helmet cam I wear cycling and motorcycling.
Old 09-30-15, 10:53 AM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dash cams in our cars and on our tandem bicycle to catch up folks like in Shimagnolo's video.
Old 09-30-15, 11:03 AM
bakes1
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
But, unfortunately, in some locations, it is necessary.

There's a reason why a lot of the crazy traffic videos come from Russia. That's because people have learned that the police and others may try to do thing to either harass or extort you. But if you have a dashboard cam, that harassment and extortion goes down dramatically.

Think of it as pretty much the same for bicyclists. Some drivers will harass cyclists (e.g. throw things, roll coal, threaten you), but if you have a helmet cam, then they are less likely to do so, and more likely to pay for it if they do.

GH
I hear you but by that same token should we all carry and run a video camera everywhere we go 24/7?
In case we are involved in a pedestrian accident or any other type of unforeseen issue?
No thanks
Old 09-30-15, 01:31 PM
MMLC
Lanterne Rogue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear you but by that same token should we all carry and run a video camera everywhere we go 24/7?
In case we are involved in a pedestrian accident or any other type of unforeseen issue?
No thanks
At the rate we're going the government and business should have that covered in less than a decade.
Old 09-30-15, 01:42 PM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Yes. Both for safety reasons and to record my rides so I have something to watch when I'm reduced to doing the trainer this winter.

Old 09-30-15, 02:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Only really useful if the camera captures the offender's Licence plate Number .
Old 09-30-15, 02:27 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Last week while coming down the only descent in my area where I can routinely top 40 mph I noticed a pick-up truck in the opposite lane about a half mile in front of me, slowly drifting into my lane. As I got nearer the driver pointed the truck directly at me. There is no shoulder to the road and I began to think about what would happen if I hit the rough ground next to the road at 40 mph and I braked hard, preparing to pull off onto the grass to avoid the oncoming truck. The driver zoomed past, looking straight at me. Fear gave way to anger and a sense of impotence and I realized that from the driver's point of view he was only having fun with me. From my point of view it was at the very least the equivalent of aggravated assault or reckless endangerment. I had never thought of mounting a video camera until then, but now I am seriously considering it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.