Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite road tire?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 10-07-15, 12:12 PM
gilpi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Just wonder what your favorite road tire is?
I've been using 700c road tires on my 29er mountain bike trying to find the best rolling rubber since I'm on the road more than on the trails.
I'm currently using Contintal Tour Ride 700 x 37c's, better than the MTB tires for road use but not sure if they're the best rolling since they're not as slick as I'd like them to be.
So, for your hybrids, what do you prefer on the road?
Old 10-07-15, 12:25 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
I just switched to the Specialized Nimbus Sport 700cx35. I like it, it rolls well, corners really nicely. I'm still getting used to how it rides now as compared to my prior Trigger Sport tires.

I researched many tires and I liked these since they're not too narrow for my comfort levels, but can have a higher PSI. They're capable of going to 100psi, but I currently have them at 95.

Old 10-07-15, 01:02 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 590 Posts
Depends entirely on priorities. Tire choice is always -- always -- a set of compromises. My priorities are, from highest to lowest,

i) low rolling resistance/high suppleness
ii) decent width (28 minimum; 32 preferred; am considering 35s. Would also consider 38s, but those won't fit current bike) for higher volume/lower pressure
iii) lowest possible weight (combines with [i], so folding bead/high thread count)
iv) ok puncture resistance (conflicts a bit with [i] and [iii]; more puncture resistance typically = higher rolling resistance and more weight)

Current choice: Specialized Roubaix Pro 30/32 (the current/revised version). Considering: https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...-bon-jon-pass/
Old 10-07-15, 01:08 PM
MMLC
Lanterne Rogue

Bikes: '02 Bianchi Strada, '01 Specialized Rockhopper, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1 Pro, 70's Fuji road bike, '15 Diamondback Apex Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run 700X25 Nashbar Prima 2 Plus on my Bianchi Strada and Sirrus.
Old 10-07-15, 01:20 PM
TQ2Q

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the S Works Turbo 700x24.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20150802_193129 (1).jpg (99.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-07-15, 02:45 PM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
100% rural road riding. i use vittoria zafirro 28mm or conti 28mm ultra sports. those nashbar prima look like there worth a try, i run nashbar city on my foul weather mtb with zero complaints.
Old 10-07-15, 03:15 PM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any of the Schwable brand tires are pretty good, check their web site for the best compromise for you.
Old 10-07-15, 04:27 PM
gilpi

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TQ2Q
Love the S Works Turbo 700x24.

I should have gone with something slicker as shown also like dr1445, travbikeman and others mentioned.
I was always a road biker, stayed away for a few years and came back into riding but I think I made the wrong call purchasing a mountain bike, I thought I'd be hitting the trails more often which I like but I like the convenience of stepping out the door and riding vs lugging the bike to a trail whenever I want to ride. Anyway for my mountain bike, I'm just trying to make it a little more "road worthy" but can't go too thin with my wheels.

Here's a pic of what I'm using, these are 700x38c
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
continental.jpg (10.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by gilpi; 10-07-15 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-07-15, 05:49 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Depends entirely on priorities. Tire choice is always -- always -- a set of compromises. My priorities are, from highest to lowest,

i) low rolling resistance/high suppleness
ii) decent width (28 minimum; 32 preferred; am considering 35s. Would also consider 38s, but those won't fit current bike) for higher volume/lower pressure
iii) lowest possible weight (combines with [i], so folding bead/high thread count)
iv) ok puncture resistance (conflicts a bit with [i] and [iii]; more puncture resistance typically = higher rolling resistance and more weight)

Current choice: Specialized Roubaix Pro 30/32 (the current/revised version). Considering: https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...-bon-jon-pass/
I've been running the Compass, Stampede Pass 700x32's. I run these at approximately 45-50/55-60 psi, front/rear since I'm a feather weight and carry nothing. I like 'em so much I bought a second set for another bike. Presently have 1600 miles on one bike, 500 on the other. Quick and comfy.

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...stampede-pass/

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 10-07-15 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-07-15, 05:53 PM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gilpi
I should have gone with something slicker as shown also like dr1445, travbikeman and others mentioned.
I was always a road biker, stayed away for a few years and came back into riding but I think I made the wrong call purchasing a mountain bike, I thought I'd be hitting the trails more often which I like but I like the convenience of stepping out the door and riding vs lugging the bike to a trail whenever I want to ride. Anyway for my mountain bike, I'm just trying to make it a little more "road worthy" but can't go too thin with my wheels.

Here's a pic of what I'm using, these are 700x38c
+1 on going riding out the door, for me to drive to trail is about 40min travel time. for some reason i am always short on time, so i turn drive time into riding time.
Old 10-07-15, 06:34 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Gatorskins, last forever and more comfortable to me than most reviewers say.
Old 10-07-15, 11:26 PM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Bikes: Custom Giant Anyroad Flatbar, Custom Raw Steel Raleigh XXIX SS

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColdCase
Any of the Schwable brand tires are pretty good, check their web site for the best compromise for you.
Agreed. I'm running the Schwalbe Kojak in 35c on my Salsa Vaya and it's been stellar. It's taken all kinds of abuse including a few miles of crushed sea shells (the Seagulls pick them up during low tide and drop them on the bike path to break them open to get what's inside) and some hard pack/easy off road stuff. I've also jumped off quite a few curbs and abused them on the pothole infested streets in the city. Thus far I have zero complaints. They also roll really fast too!
Old 10-08-15, 03:12 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
I've been using Vittoria Randonneurs for a few years (700x28) and I've never had a puncture flat with them. They roll well and they're incredibly durable, which is exactly what I want in a tire.

Only issue with them is that they're awfully narrow for their size - they work much better with 18/25 tubes than they do with 28 tubes - and they're significantly narrower than my old Kenda Kwest 700x28 tires.
Old 10-09-15, 10:05 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Gilpi you're not going to be happy until you get another bike. I gave a mountain bike a try
and just could not get over those tires sucking the pavement at every rotation of the wheel.
It takes more than a change of tires. nuff said.
Old 10-10-15, 12:08 PM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats the most popular bicycle tire?
Old 10-10-15, 12:23 PM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model- donated to a friend); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Depends entirely on priorities. Tire choice is always -- always -- a set of compromises. My priorities are .......
+1

I started out on 32's (Sport Continental which came with bike).

I decided to try some 35's - the Compass 'Bon Jon Pass' were on the short-list but then I saw an offer on the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme (ChainReaction - just under Cnd$60 delivered in under four days), and as these seemed to have several favourable endorsements from people on this site I went with the known quantity.
They seem very comfortable (no doubt partly because I lowered tire pressure by 5/10lbs). I am not noticing any performance difference relative to 32's (but without 'back-to-back' comparisons under test conditions I doubt if I am experienced enough to notice )

As a matter of interest which model of the Compass 'Bon Jon Pass' were you thinking of using?

I was tending towards getting both to see what differences were, put the lighter one on the front tire (easier to change if I got a puncture) and the other one on the rear wheel!). It was partly my dithering while I decided between the 'Standard' and 'Extralight' that allowed me to come across the Schwalbes on special offer, so I never did finalise what I would order.
Old 10-12-15, 09:09 AM
badger1

Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 590 Posts
Originally Posted by FamilyMan007
+1

I started out on 32's (Sport Continental which came with bike).

I decided to try some 35's - the Compass 'Bon Jon Pass' were on the short-list but then I saw an offer on the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme (ChainReaction - just under Cnd$60 delivered in under four days), and as these seemed to have several favourable endorsements from people on this site I went with the known quantity.
They seem very comfortable (no doubt partly because I lowered tire pressure by 5/10lbs). I am not noticing any performance difference relative to 32's (but without 'back-to-back' comparisons under test conditions I doubt if I am experienced enough to notice )

As a matter of interest which model of the Compass 'Bon Jon Pass' were you thinking of using?

I was tending towards getting both to see what differences were, put the lighter one on the front tire (easier to change if I got a puncture) and the other one on the rear wheel!). It was partly my dithering while I decided between the 'Standard' and 'Extralight' that allowed me to come across the Schwalbes on special offer, so I never did finalise what I would order.
Extralight version. Would be fun to try 'em out.
Old 10-12-15, 09:48 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, in any size. I like 40 rear, and 35 front, for rode comfort and performance. Im going to try a 28-30 on my Sirrus next time. These Specialized all condition armadillos feel heavy and slow in the 30 size
Old 10-12-15, 07:49 PM
chong67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. My bike use 700x32c tire. I cant find much on what the c stand for and it doesnt mean anything. Right?
2. Can I go to 700x30c tire?
3. Folding tire or wire type tire. This I still cant figure out.
4. I read alot about the Gatorskin tire.
Old 10-12-15, 09:16 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
700 x 25 Conti gatorskins.
Old 10-12-15, 10:51 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
The 'c' is for centimeters ( the width of the tire).
Folding tires can actually be folded to fit into onboard storage pouches, bags, etc.
Wire type tires have a stiffer wire enforcement and cannot be folded.
Go to a local LBS and compare the 32c and 30c tires and you'll notice that their
is very little difference in their width. I know several riders that have Gatorskin tires
and they swear by them. I use a different Continental tire.
Old 10-13-15, 07:49 AM
chong67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by altondavis2
The 'c' is for centimeters ( the width of the tire).
Folding tires can actually be folded to fit into onboard storage pouches, bags, etc.
Wire type tires have a stiffer wire enforcement and cannot be folded.
Go to a local LBS and compare the 32c and 30c tires and you'll notice that their
is very little difference in their width. I know several riders that have Gatorskin tires
and they swear by them. I use a different Continental tire.
Does wire type tire hold better to puncture than folded tire?
My wife bike come with tube. I can make it tubeless?
Old 10-13-15, 08:52 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The rim will determine if a tubeless tire can be used. Wire beads have nothing to do with flat prevention. Folding tires are usually lighter. And they require less room to haul around in storage.
Old 10-13-15, 11:23 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by chong67
Does wire type tire hold better to puncture than folded tire?
My wife bike come with tube. I can make it tubeless?
That would be millimeters not centimeters. I'm not sure where the "c" comes from.

This has a ton of useful information about tire sizing and matching tires to wheels: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Old 10-14-15, 07:08 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
I was riding on Continental City Ride 700 X 28 with my Trek 7500FX. I liked them okay. Reasonable puncture protection, but I never liked the low psi. They just felt too gushy and slow. I just switched to Gatorskin Hardshells 700 X 28. On really smooth pavement they are great. I did find them pretty harsh on the rougher patches of road. I have them at maximum psi of 110. I think I'm going to play around with lowering the psi a bit to see if that makes a difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.