Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Older Pugsley - worth $750?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Older Pugsley - worth $750?

Old 12-17-18, 11:38 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
They started the industry trend. I'll give them that. Hats off to Surly. But they are no longer a trend setter.

But in the big picture of fat bike sales they (Surly bikes not QBP) are irrelevant. There is a only a small dedicated group of people that buy them. Like I said...I haven't seen one on the trails in over 2 years of traveling the different trail systems of WI and Upper Michigan. Nobody rides them because there are better lighter bikes out there.
I was referring to your comment questioning how they stay in business. And the reason they stay in business is because they are consistently innovative and trend-setting. The 4" Fat bike is not the only thing they started:
  • They introduced the 4" fat bike as we now know it...
  • Then they introduced the 5" fat bike as we know it...
  • Then they introduced the plus-sized mtb as we know it...
  • While they did not invent the long-tail cargo bike, the Big Dummy (along with the Kona Ute to a lesser extent) is the reason cargo bikes became a "thing" in the past 10 years.
  • While they did not invent the 29er, the Karate Monkey was the first one to show you could have one with a short chain-stay, and I would say is as responsible as Gary Fisher or Niner for the wheel-size actually gaining traction (no pun intended). The affordable and versatile KM was many people's gateway drug into 29ers back in the mid 2000's.
  • The Long Haul Trucker is STILL a staple among touring cyclists.

And one thing they still do is outfit their frames with a ton of extra braze-ons and accommodation for different gearing and hub options. So they have a strong appeal among who likes to tinker and change up bike setups. Heck, my Karate Monkey has existed as single speed, 1x9, rigid, HT, trail bike, and on/off road adventure/light touring bike. Maybe nobody in Michigan cares about any of this, but apparently people in other parts of the country do.

As far as how many you see.... I have seen Surlys off all types everywhere I have lived. Sure they are a minority, but they are also a small company. And I still see some (including fat bikes) even now on the trails and on the road/street where I live now in upstate NY.

BTW, the Wednesday has been a very successful fat bike for Surly. I guess just not up in MI.

Yes, Surlys will never be a hit with the weight-obsessed. Somehow, that has never really hurt them. They know their market.
Old 12-17-18, 12:26 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by kapusta
yes, surlys will never be a hit with the weight-obsessed. Somehow, that has never really hurt them. They know their market.
+1
Old 12-23-18, 05:05 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Pugsley is awesome..$750 depends on the condition of the bike...But ignore the BS. The original Pugs is still totally relevant.