Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should I be worried about my wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 09:03 PM
BrewCrewzz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ive been riding my giant tcr since September with Bontrager race lite wheels. I believe the front is 18 spokes and the rear is 25 spokes. I’m guess I’m way too heavy (245lbs) although I haven’t had broken spokes or anything like that. I’m trying to lose weight but also don’t want to blow a wheel. With that said I’ve ridden 40-60 miles a week with no problem.
Old 11-08-18, 09:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10959 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
If a wheel comes out of true or spokes break, then be worried.
until then, ride.

you could spend money now to ensure a possible issue doesnt happen, or you could spend that same money later in the off chance the issue does happen.

one approach for sure spends money and the other only maybe spends money.
neither is right or wrong in the end.
Old 11-09-18, 03:59 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
All the guys your size that have blown a wheel as you put it are no longer around and we don't know because dead man tell no tale.

Kidding, but if you don't drop weight, get some custom wheels. That spoke count 'in theory' is not compatible with your weight. But the wheels maybe built well and apparently taking it so far. Also has to do with how much power you put in the pedals...if you sprint out of the saddle for example. Most of us know strong sprinters that break wheels more than guys like me that don't put out real big watts.

Want to drop weight? Change your diet. No mystery there. Weight is 80% what you put in your mouth. Of course, changing your diet and eating habits takes discipline.

Last edited by Campag4life; 11-09-18 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-09-18, 09:37 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If a wheel comes out of true or spokes break, then be worried.
until then, ride.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. Not because I think there is going to be some catastrophic wheel failure that is going to put an end to your cycling, but there is a good chance that there will be a wheel failure that will leave you stranded.

OP, low spoke count with a not so strong/stiff rim are your enemies. If you are going to continue riding those wheels, be sure you are diligent at un-weighting the bike every time you ride through any sort of abrupt irregularity in the pavement.
Old 11-09-18, 10:07 AM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I would agree - I would hesitate to ride 18 spokes, especially laced as they are (am I correct in thinking these wheels are laced with two spokes next to each other with quite some space between the next pairing? That adds even more stress on the rim as the weight distribution is not even) at that weight. You could probably pick up a set of secondhand heavy duty training wheels to help you get your weight below 220 lbs and then as a reward start riding those wheels (motivation to lose weight? Unless you're really tall and 245 is a natural weight for you).
Old 11-09-18, 10:11 AM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Some of Bontrager's wheels have had problems with cracking around the nipples in the past. There are some old threads here and here that focused on this issue.

I had a set of Bontrager Selects on a LeMond bike that developed cracks. They never amounted to anything, but they were relatively low spoke-count wheels, 20 and 24 I think, and I ended up replacing them with some heftier rims. I'm about 210 lbs., so heavier than a lot of folks.

Take a close look at your rims and see if there might be some cracks starting to radiate from where the nipples hit the rims, especially on the rear.
Old 11-09-18, 10:15 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Bontrager Race Lite wheels will fail prematurely regardless of rider weight.

Bontrager wheels have issues with cracking around the drive side spoke holes. This has been a known problem with Bontrager wheels for at least 15 years. The OP's weight might accelerate the failure but their life is extremely limited relative to almost every other brand and model available.

One wheelbuilder said, "Bontrager's cracked rims have done more to increase my business than anything else."

-Tim-
Old 11-09-18, 10:17 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I have had many wheels crack at the nipples and I'm not all that heavy. Bontragers were the worst, however. I would keep riding them, but inspect at least once a week and be alert for any odd wheel behavior. Mine got slightly wobbly before I noticed the cracks.
Old 11-09-18, 06:43 PM
BrewCrewzz

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I’m 6’5. I weighed 265 before I got my bike and have dropped 20lbs casually riding since September.
What wheels would you recommend? Thanks
Old 11-09-18, 11:42 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by BrewCrewzz
Thanks guys. I’m 6’5. I weighed 265 before I got my bike and have dropped 20lbs casually riding since September.
How about the Boyd Altamonts with 28 spokes up front and 32 on the back. A nice solid wheel that will take care of you for a long time.

Boyd Altamont
Old 11-10-18, 08:10 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BrewCrewzz
You are a big dude and even if you drop some weight you want some custom wheels but likely that won't break the bank. I ride off the rack Campy wheels because I am 185# and they hold up fine. But in your bigger shoes, I would ask where the local racers meet for their A group ride...meet them at the beginning of the ride and introduce yourself even if you don't plan to hang...and ask them who the 'go to' wheelbuilder is in your town. Who they trust and spend their hard earned money on with a proven rep of wheel reliability among stronger riders. We have such a guy in our town...most towns do that the local racers use. He will build you a set to your needs.

There is a guy on this forum that I would trust implicitly as well by the name of Psimet that has a big following. I would contact him if you don't want to go local. I know he would treat you right because he is a very smart guy and a contributor here and builds excellent wheels many have been happy with.

Good luck. I wouldn't try to ride stock wheels. You know you need custom stuff and probably have for a while in other endeavors as well because of your size.

Last edited by Campag4life; 11-10-18 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-10-18, 02:16 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts

A decent family bike store ought to have several pairs of wheels on the hooks that would be fine for you. 36 spokes nice hubs and nice rims... no boutique stuff. See what they've got and what they say.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 11-10-18 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-10-18, 03:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10959 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. Not because I think there is going to be some catastrophic wheel failure that is going to put an end to your cycling, but there is a good chance that there will be a wheel failure that will leave you stranded.

OP, low spoke count with a not so strong/stiff rim are your enemies. If you are going to continue riding those wheels, be sure you are diligent at un-weighting the bike every time you ride through any sort of abrupt irregularity in the pavement.
I'm 235 and wouldnt go close to those wheels.
between the Bontrager reputation and low spoke count, I'm not interested in an.
but I also recognize that I am conservative in how I spec my bikes and that equally heavy or heavier rider use low spoke wheels all the time without issue.

because of this, I posted what I did.
if the OP wants to spend money prematurely, have at it. But if they wait until its needed(wheel issue), they will be no worse off by spending later.
Old 11-10-18, 03:53 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I'm only 165 and I don't like low spoke count wheels or radial lacing.
Old 11-10-18, 04:48 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
At 180-190 lbs, and able to dial in 1,000 watts., I've had nipple cracks on both Bontrager and DT Swiss rims. I'm now using H + Son "deep V" rims for 8k miles without an issue. My local wheelbuilder recommended them, and said he's "never" seen a nipple crack in this training rim.