Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Adopt a road

Old 05-09-19, 10:00 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Adopt a road

I don't know what things are like where you are. We've been losing dirty and gravel roads at an alarming pace. They're being closed and some decommissioned (berms created etc) die to budget constraints. Many of the ones that remain aren't getting as much maintenance as in bygone days.

We have volunteer programs where people "adopt" a road or a section of one. This means driving or riding it regularly, clearing culverts, etc. I assume this isn't unique to Washington, I'm posting in case anybody has some free time and wants to volunteer in a way they can personally connect to.

Last edited by Seattle Forrest; 05-12-19 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 10:44 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I haven't seen any fresh paving going on in MI, but we barely keep up with the paved roads we have. Fortunately it would be hard for MDOT to close the dirt and gravel roads we ride here because they are residential.
Old 05-10-19, 01:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Here , they're Logging roads on Private Timber Company lands with a locked steel bar across them near the main road

& it gets steep fast ..

In Hunting season , electric motors on MTB and Fat bikes are getting used to get up there ..
Old 05-10-19, 03:08 PM
tsmorr

Bikes: Rossin SLX; Miyata Team Track; Fat Chance Kicker; Austro-Daimler Inter 10; Geekhouse Mudville

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Still plenty of dirt roads in Vermont.
Likes For tsmorr:
Old 05-10-19, 03:20 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
I haven't seen any fresh paving going on in MI, but we barely keep up with the paved roads we have. Fortunately it would be hard for MDOT to close the dirt and gravel roads we ride here because they are residential.
Actually, I see a fair amount. I see residents want to keep them gravel, people selling want to have it paved, and developers want to have it paved. So the people that live and stay there are the minority.

But yeah, most of the gravel roads here are A LOT smoother than the paved ones. But you knew that, lol.
Old 05-11-19, 12:21 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Even back Texas gravel roads need to be adopted. I know when someone is building a house on their place because the area always has fast food trash which is thrown out the window intentionally. I unofficially adopt by picking up the trash myself and into the dumpster I share with neighbors. Pigs.

Yes many of the gravel roads are getting paved as more people move out to the boonies. But there is still plenty of gravel and sometimes I don’t mind pavement. I get tired of pavement then the gravel appears and vice versa.
Old 05-11-19, 12:41 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
don't think they will close any roads near me, but there is one closed road. I think it was closed until they put in a pipeline, then they reopened, and now it's closed again. The county south of here is removing the pavement from a lot of roads, which is unfortunate, but there are more gravel roads now
Old 05-11-19, 07:45 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
A majority of the gravel roads that are within a 100 mile round trip (by bicycle) of Atlanta are probably going to be gone within the next 10-15 years. Just too much value in the land to not pave the roads to up the selling price as sprawl keeps sprawlin'. It's a shame, we lost a good one - Brushy Mountain road - last year and another road a couple years before that. All told probably only 8-12 miles but that's almost half of the total gravel out Dallas (GA) way. No way to forestall it, the city, property owners and so forth aren't interested in keeping it country, as it were.

Regardless there's enough gravel within a 2 hour drive of the city to keep anyone busy for years - right now it's just getting the routes developed but I've been working on that myself as is TimothyH with his website. Hopefully within a year or two they're be another 5-600 miles of turn-key routes in play.
Old 05-11-19, 09:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
coating culverts
What does this mean? I've never heard of the term.

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
A majority of the gravel roads that are within a 100 mile round trip (by bicycle) of Atlanta are probably going to be gone within the next 10-15 years. Just too much value in the land to not pave the roads to up the selling price as sprawl keeps sprawlin'. It's a shame, we lost a good one - Brushy Mountain road - last year and another road a couple years before that. All told probably only 8-12 miles but that's almost half of the total gravel out Dallas (GA) way. No way to forestall it, the city, property owners and so forth aren't interested in keeping it country, as it were.

Regardless there's enough gravel within a 2 hour drive of the city to keep anyone busy for years - right now it's just getting the routes developed but I've been working on that myself as is TimothyH with his website. Hopefully within a year or two they're be another 5-600 miles of turn-key routes in play.
I have two new routes, both carved out of the larger Tour de Liverance event.

Elijay East: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29719483
Elijay West: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29719263

Talona Creek Rd on the east loop is really nice. I'm going to ride this soon.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-11-19 at 09:37 PM.
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 05-12-19, 11:53 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
What does this mean? I've never heard of the term.
It means I need to fire my proofreader. I meant to write clearing culverts.
Old 05-13-19, 03:07 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
It means I need to fire my proofreader. I meant to write clearing culverts.
Autocorrect makes life butter for everyone.

-Tim-