Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Trying to repair my Schwinn Electric

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 06:37 AM
K Tech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,
I'm having problems replacing the throttle control on my 2008 Schwinn World GS Electric. The throttle went to pieces and I was unable to get one from Schwinn. After following their leads to the original designer of the Schwinn system I found Electric Scooter Parts and bought a recommended throttle that had the same voltage ratings. I wired it up according to the schematic and have supply voltage in and a charge indicator working that shows the battery at full charge. My only problem, and of course the biggest one, is no power to the motor drive. I believe everything is wired correctly and should work as I get the correct voltage at the throttle and the correct battery indication, but I get nothing from the throttle out to the motor. Pedaling and pressing the thumb throttle does not run the bike. I am stuck and would really appreciate anyone's help out there. The new throttle has an on/off switch as the old one did and I followed all the wires back to the battery pack when I tied things in. Maybe I'm missing a ground wire somewhere that was part of the old throttle? Maybe there is a wire on another part of the wiring harness that was connected through the motor controller and needs to be hooked up differently with the new controller. The wiring seems fairly simple but I just can't get it to run. Can anyone help? I can usually fix things but this one has me stumped.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
Old 07-16-19, 10:14 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Take it apart and confirm the wires go to the same place as the old one. I just did a schwinn scooter where I replaced the new wiring harness with the old one so I wouldnt have to play with more wire connections.

Also there are wiring diagrams out there to see how it should be wired.

-SP
Old 07-16-19, 02:06 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Also try endless sphere where there are some really good techs.
Old 07-23-19, 09:28 AM
K Tech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for both replies. I'm back working on it and think I have the new controller hooked up correctly but I have two wires left (blue and yellow) that I believe send power to the motor but neither seem to work. I have 5 volts into the throttle and read about 2 volts output when pushing the control. Just nothing when hooking either up to the throttle output. Maybe there is something else going on? I'm going to check the handbrake switches next. Not giving up! I will check out endless sphere. Thanks again!
Old 07-23-19, 11:51 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Blue, green, and yellow wires tell the controller which way the wheel is turning. they are essential. There should be a red and black to go along with those.

You cannot test a throttle with a multimeter, but you can buy a tester that can tell you an on/off state to tell if its good.

You might be at the point where you need to post pictures.

Also there was a run of Schwinn electric bikes that were bad and Schwinn wouldnt fix them. I hope yours isnt one of those.

-SP