Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting with a dog

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting with a dog

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 07:24 AM
yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting with a dog

I bought an old burly baby trailer, put a board down for the dog to lay on, and stuck him in there for the commute. About 3 of my 7.5 miles are along a greenway, where I can let him out to run alongside the bike.

My no-dog commute is usually 28 minutes (by bike computer) and 15.1 mph. With the dog, it was 41 minutes and 10.3 mph, plus 10 minutes for unclipping/clipping him in at intersections.

Actually pulling the trailer didn't slow me down very much at all. Riding slower w/ the dog out of trailer probably slowed me the most.

Does anyone else do this? I searched the forum, but found nothing about it.
Old 03-08-06, 08:12 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can keep your dog with you at work?
<-- jealous

>Boss?
>>Yes
>I need a break. My dog needs to poo.
Old 03-08-06, 09:22 AM
GGDub
Dog is my copilot.

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah that's sweet if you can keep your dog at work. I've been thinking of getting two of these for a while now:

https://www.bikebox.ca/html/detailcargo_pet.php
Old 03-08-06, 09:31 AM
yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For that kind of cash, I'd look into a Wike: https://www.wicycle.com/ldt.htm
You'll have to surf to the dog trailers.
They look more like a child carrier, which I figure will make drivers more cautious.

Yeah, the dog is allowed. One benefit of a low paying university job.
Old 03-08-06, 10:01 AM
GTcommuter
Easily distracted...

Bikes: Surley Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been debating this issue. Not as much for my commute to work, but generally on trips to work, day rides, and to friends' houses. My pup is half Lab, half Boxer so jumping, running, and chewing stuff are pretty much all she does. And she's big, so if she want's out of the trailer then I've got a problem. I haven't found a used trailer, but I'm still looking for one and will probably try hauling her around this summer. She loves to ride in the car and usually settles down into a seat so hopefully the trailer will be a smooth transition.
Old 03-08-06, 10:29 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd love to haul mine on the weekend. He is a 80+ lb lab with moderate hip displaysia (sp?). So, hauling him around would help with the hip problem. However, I also ride around with my 2 year old son. Hauling 2 trailers would be a tad difficult.
Old 03-08-06, 10:41 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
The trailer looks like the way to go.

One morning I followed a very fast cyclist into Boston on the bike path who had a small dog in some kind of dog bed on the back rack. The little dog looked completely at home back there and it was evident that this was something that was done with some frequency but I must admit I had some real gasps of fright as I watched them. The dog would bounce in the air on some bumps a good 3", he had several near misses of his head with everything from lightpoles to branches and railings. I wanted to buy the dog a little kiddie helmet for his commute. The trailer seems quite a bit safer for the dog.
Old 03-08-06, 12:23 PM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This little guy has a leather helmet:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Hot Dog.jpg (24.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-08-06, 02:45 PM
yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For reference, my dog weighs 60 lbs and the trailer adds another 25 or so w/ modifications. He took to the trailer immediately, but he's used to riding on a plywood platform in the back of a covered pick-up with his nose out a window.

On the road, I keep the trailer closed up. It also came with a seatbelt attached on both sides of the frame. I use that to leash to his harness. It's pretty secure as long as the dog doesn't really try to break free. My dog is a submissive border collie mix, and never argues with a tie down. He was lying down for most of the trip with cars wizzing by a few feet away.