Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

humancongereel!

Old 08-05-06, 03:44 PM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
humancongereel!

Time to finally reveal the passage from Joyce that explains your username to wondering minds.

That way we become more literate, and solve a nagging mystery in one fell swoop.

It's like Chaucer meets The Mystery Machine!
Old 08-05-06, 03:50 PM
hyperRevue
King Among Runaways

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has been explained before, but is a nice story.
Old 08-05-06, 03:52 PM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok go ahead. =)
Old 08-05-06, 04:35 PM
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
humancongereel is very cool

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 08-06-06, 04:39 PM
humancongereel
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just got back from a wedding with lots of free booze and i'm pretty damn hungover. so, instead of writing a response and actually thinking about the answer, i'm going to use the search function and find the thread i mentioned this in...
Old 08-06-06, 04:56 PM
humancongereel
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okay: "it's a reference to james joyce's "character" HCE in finnegans wake. hce's name takes different forms throughout the book. for example, "hod, cement, and edifice" on page 4. this is a spot where the dreamer's ego(hce is asleep and dreaming, and the book is less a story and more a record of his thoughts and dreams during sleep) , or self-conscious mind rises to the fore. for most of the book, HCE makes only passing appearances in his own dream...i suppose i started using passages of hce as screen names through the book cuz sometimes i think of myself as being somewhat like hce, someone who lives in an illusory world. something along those lines, the whole "what is reality? is life a dream?" sort of conversation.

humancongereel i chose specifically because on other boards i've changed the screenname every couple of weeks to another one of joyce's hce acrostics. that was the one i was using when i signed up and then i found out that you can't change screen names on this forum."