Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Rear derailleur adjuster broke off - How to remove stuck 1/2 of threads?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Campagnolo Rear derailleur adjuster broke off - How to remove stuck 1/2 of threads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 02:07 PM
tvphobic

Bikes: TiSport Road frame with Campagnolo Daytona/Centaur + Record/Open Pro wheels | 2002 Bianchi Volpe | 2003 Giant TCR 2 w/ Sun ME14A rims/Ultegra 6500 hubs/ Bianchi SL Centaur (currently being refurbished)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is the adjuster itself. Half the threaded part broke off in my 2001 Veloce RD. Any suggestions as to how to remove it with minimal damage to the threads? Yes, user error was committed, it appears. Thanks for any ideas and happy riding!

Last edited by tvphobic; 05-31-11 at 02:08 PM. Reason: insufficient info
Old 05-31-11, 02:25 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
There's a hole in the center of it for the cable to pass through. Go to your hardware store and buy a set of small size E-Z-Outs. Stick the one that fits into the hole and turn it out.

Alternately you could dry making your own from a steel nail if this part is aluminium. If it's a steel adjuster then go find a concrete nail since those are hardened. Grind a long taper square shape into the end so that it goes into the hole and then jams. Tap it a few times lightly with a hammer to dig it in and then turn the nail using a set of pliers to get a good bite. Push the nail inwards so it stays tightly in the grooves you formed.

THis assumes that it's stuck or otherwise corroded in place. If it broke off due to an impact then the stub that is in there won't be tight at all. If that's the case even a big toothpick forced into the hole will hold well enough to let you turn the piece out of the hole.
Likes For BCRider:
Old 06-01-11, 09:39 AM
tvphobic

Bikes: TiSport Road frame with Campagnolo Daytona/Centaur + Record/Open Pro wheels | 2002 Bianchi Volpe | 2003 Giant TCR 2 w/ Sun ME14A rims/Ultegra 6500 hubs/ Bianchi SL Centaur (currently being refurbished)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks BCRider, I did not know about EZ-outs. I'll look into that and perhaps try the steel nail thing also. Cheers!