Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Raising saddle question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Raising saddle question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 12:19 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raising saddle question

Came to the slow realization that when I bike, only my quads take the abuse. Now, I was fitted to my bike a few years ago, so it can't possibly be a fit issue... Anyhow, I recently picked up another bike, used, and as such I'm playing fit-doctor on my own, for a little bit anyhow. I rode yesterday with the saddle about 1cm lower and 1cm more forward than today's ride. Result: yesterday my quads were burning after a mile, and I just couldn't go past 3/4 effort. Today, I felt good. Walking around my quads still burn a bit but I feel something in my rump.

The problem is, I feel something a bit off in the front of my knees. Not pain but something amiss, something different. Below the kneecap, but in the front. I didn't feel like I pedaled funny, no rocking. Could this be just discomfort from simply being in a different position, working different muscles? I'm thinking so, and that I should give it a few more rides. [Know you get those bubbles in your joints sometimes? I swear I had a bunch after this ride also.] Perhaps I'm just a pinch too high.

My old bike is a Trek Pilot 1.2, which has the handle bars above saddle height. My "new" bike is a Trek 1500 SLR, and the handlebars are lower than saddle. It's different, and it's what I wanted--I wanted a more aggressive bike, something to ride faster. So I don't think I can just measure my bike and translate the fit over.

So, the question is, if I am aiming to set the saddle higher and back-er deliberately so as to force myself to use different muscles than I normally use, might my knees also feel a bit used as a result?
Old 05-12-17, 01:20 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Search web on knee pain and saddle height. IIRC, what you describe is common if the seat height is too low. See, for example, Knee Pain Cycling - Causes and Solutions - I Love Bicycling, which was just the 1st thing in the list of hits.
Old 05-12-17, 01:48 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's possible I just took it too hard today. I attacked a couple hills at flat out. It'd be interesting if it was too low on the new bike, as the saddle feels very high when I put a foot down at a stop, teetering on my toes.
Old 05-12-17, 02:18 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
How to Fit a Bicycle

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/ (scroll down to blue links on right side column)
Old 05-12-17, 02:25 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by supton
It's possible I just took it too hard today. I attacked a couple hills at flat out. It'd be interesting if it was too low on the new bike, as the saddle feels very high when I put a foot down at a stop, teetering on my toes.
The Saddle is TOO LOW.

Raise it up a tad or go up high and see if your knee hurts underneath.

Take one foot off when you stop and lean to that side.

Old 05-12-17, 02:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
... I rode yesterday with the saddle about 1cm lower and 1cm more forward than today's ride. Result: yesterday my quads were burning after a mile, and I just couldn't go past 3/4 effort.
So, the question is, if I am aiming to set the saddle higher and back-er deliberately so as to force myself to use different muscles than I normally use, might my knees also feel a bit used as a result?
I'm confused. Is the seat on your "new" bike lower and further forward than what you have been riding, or higher and further back?

Your knee condition sounds like the early symptoms of chrondomalcia patella. Not good. CP knees really don't like big changes of seat height (or in my case, crank length). 1 cm both forward and down for back and up is a huge difference. (Think of seat position as being on a circle some distance from the BB. Rotating it forward and raising it a touch or back and lowering a little keeps it on that circle and the distance from your hip joint to the BB doesn't change. But that is forward and up or back and down.

If you search for "chrondomalcia patellae" and look for my used name, you should see one or more posts I wrote years ago re: CP. I know it intimately. Not a fun game. In the mean time. get your "new" bike's seat as close to your old bike's as you can, at least with respect to distance from BB so if CP is a potential for you,m you don't trigger it. Then make your changes gradually by small mounts to where you want to be. (Trust me, the medical bills will outweigh the cost of several seatposts to get the setbacks you need rather quickly.)

Ben
Old 05-12-17, 02:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

It sounds like your two bikes have different bottom bracket heights. (Line them up side by side or measure down from the center of the bottom bracket axle to the floor.) If so, get used to it. These are two very different bikes. On a high bottom bracket bike, having to slide forward off the saddle or lean to the side at stops is just what that bike is. Adjusting you seat to make that dismount the same would be like walking with bent knees or crouched over because your shoes have thick soles and high heels.

Ben
Old 05-12-17, 06:53 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday I rode the bike with the saddle at one location; today I rose it 1cm and back 1cm. So today was more up and more back than the first ride. First ride had my quads hitting my gut, and I couldn't pedal past 80% output; today, other than it felt "tall" I could put out full effort.

Couldn't find my metric measure but both bottom brackets measure 11" off the ground. I measured up both seat tubes, to top of saddle; old bike was 26.5" and new bike was 27". Looks like I raised it up 1cm higher than I'm used to. I'm not sure where it lands on the "back" scale though. New bike is more aggressive, slightly lower handlebar, and they are an inch further away, so I'm lying lower on the bike (might explain the quad-gut problem).

Right now there is just a dull ache below right knee cap, so I'm guessing something got stressed, and not in a good way. So I'll drop new saddle down to same height as my old bike, and ride the old bike this weekend (if I get a chance). Little reluctant to move it back forward as I know that setting doesn't work (although it doesn't cause knee problems). Actually, looking into "chrondomalcia patellae" the usual fix seems to be... raising the seat. ?

Big change, hard ride, no acclimation = poor results? Maybe I just overdid it?

Edit: just checked. I've been using MTB shoes with the cleats set under the ball of my foot. I switched over to toe clips, and it appears the balls of my feet are still over pedal spindle. So I think that factor may still be a constant.

Last edited by supton; 05-12-17 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 07:18 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Could be gearing... are you pushing a higher gear than usual? If so, maybe try lowering the gear and increase the spin rate to achieve your desired mph.
Old 05-12-17, 07:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Now, I was fitted to my bike a few years ago, so it can't possibly be a fit issue...

1) Yes, it can be a fit issue. Your fit isn't a set-it-once-and-forget-it thing. It changes for all sorts of reasons.

2) Your knees might feel better.

3) Put your bicycle up on a trainer, find a good site with suggested measurements, get a friend, a tape measure, and a plumb bob, and start measuring and adjusting. Just make the changes incrementally and slightly ... like maybe 3mm at a time.
Old 05-12-17, 11:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Do you have a video camera? Especially one that can be mounted to the handlebar? If so, aim it toward your waist and record video while riding. Best way I've found to check for appropriate saddle height and either rocking or over-extension. Also, use it to record yourself passing, approaching and riding away. Great way to check your riding position, especially if a proper fit is too expensive or there's no one qualified in your area.

A few months ago I occasionally experienced some lower back pain while riding, very unusual for me. I have chronic upper back, neck and shoulder pain from a car wreck and C2 injury, but rarely any real lower back or hip pain after the usual morning dull ache -- some stretches, coffee and ibuprofen always take care of that. But a sudden sharp ache out of nowhere? Very odd.

Coincidentally that week I was recording my usual video while riding -- camera mounted to my helmet -- but after an hour and a half the battery was exhausted. Usually when that happens I switch the camera to the handlebar but that day my handlebar bag was in the way. So I swiveled the camera to the sides and back toward me for a few different views while passing a historic old baseball park.

Later when I reviewed the video I noticed my hips rocking too much. That accounted for the sudden bout of hip and lower back pain. I'd adjusted the seat post a bit too high after mounting a new tail light on the seat post. Easily fixed, pain gone.

More recently I noticed an occasional knee twinge -- also uncommon for me. Despite some earlier minor knee injuries I'd escaped any serious problems and hadn't experienced any significant knee pain in years.

At the same time I noticed I was favoring the nose of the saddle, rather than the more comfortable padded rear of the saddle. This followed several weeks of dedicated hill training (well, as much as we get in this part of Texas). My legs were getting stronger and I wasn't sitting as heavily in the saddle, so my body was unconsciously finding the most efficient position. I'd consciously scoot back on the saddle to minimize pressure on the sit bones, but inevitably I'd be forward on the nose again.

I set the video camera up around waist high off the bike and recorded myself passing, approaching and riding away. Sure 'nuff, the saddle was too far back. I moved it forward half an inch or so this past week. Much more efficient.

However I am feeling a bit of soreness in the quads and calves. Muscle pain, not tendon or ligament strain. Just getting accustomed to a new position, using the legs more, not sitting in the saddle as heavily. When I do ease up I'm sitting more naturally in the saddle.
Old 05-13-17, 03:54 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What have you got to lose? Raise your saddle up a little bit. If you decide that you don't like it, you can always put it back down.
Old 05-13-17, 05:13 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
What have you got to lose? Raise your saddle up a little bit. If you decide that you don't like it, you can always put it back down.
That's what I did, and I was asking, is it normal to feel something sore afterwards? Or is soreness an indicator of wrongness? Where it's localized in the knee it seems wrong; had it been say a sore muscle it might be "just give it time for the body to acclimate."
Old 05-13-17, 05:25 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
1) Yes, it can be a fit issue. Your fit isn't a set-it-once-and-forget-it thing. It changes for all sorts of reasons.
Interesting. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I'm nearly ten years old since I was first fitted, and stronger, dunno about flexibility (could go either way).

2) Your knees might feel better.

3) Put your bicycle up on a trainer, find a good site with suggested measurements, get a friend, a tape measure, and a plumb bob, and start measuring and adjusting. Just make the changes incrementally and slightly ... like maybe 3mm at a time.
That Steve Hogg guy (and others) seemed to be against using plumb bobs and various measurement rules. Not that they don't work but they don't always work, and the "rules" seem to have no backing behind them. I want to say Hogg goes more by eyeball than anything: more along the lines of, raise seat until pedaling form goes wonky, then drop it, then address other issues (leg asymmetry, reach, etc). [Lather rinse repeat, I think it takes a while to dial it in.]

I recall reading Hogg saying that he makes cleat adjustment right away, but I don't recall if he recommended going slow on saddle changes slow or not. I suspect he goes right for the kill, and probably leans towards "take it easy". No sense in riding wrong the wrong fit.

Last night I did some quick back to back rides between my bikes, and the first thing I wanted to do on my old bike was to launch myself off the back of it. I noticed that the last couple of years--it's as if I want to stretch out while riding.
Old 05-13-17, 05:28 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Could be gearing... are you pushing a higher gear than usual? If so, maybe try lowering the gear and increase the spin rate to achieve your desired mph.
I did notice a lower cadence with the raised seat. I've always felt like I couldn't mash, I've always had to go high cadence to get any power--other riders have commented to me that I'm spinning faster than anyone else. I used to have a cadence readout (and verified a few times off gearing vs mph charts), and I've always naturally turned 90rpm under moderate exertion--faster if I want more power. Unless if I'm out of the saddle I'm 90+. Otherwise the quads gave up after seconds.
Old 05-13-17, 05:30 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Do you have a video camera?
That's a good idea; I'll have to see what I can do. Probably fastest to enlist someone to film me, too bad the wife isn't available until tomorrow (and it'll be raining).
Old 05-13-17, 05:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

That Steve Hogg guy (and others) seemed to be against using plumb bobs and various measurement rules. Not that they don't work but they don't always work, and the "rules" seem to have no backing behind them.
Just physics ... buy hey ...

Your body on the bicycle is a machine. Set a machine up correctly, and it functions well. Set it up incorrectly, and it wears out sooner.

Regarding fit changes, as I said all kinds of things can change your fit including:
injuries
fitness level

... even your shoes.

And regarding cadence, you want a faster cadence. You want 90 rpm.
Old 05-13-17, 06:09 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, but it seemed Hogg didn't put much faith in measurements--he seemed to go by eye. Just sayin'. Which is why I was going to try and tackle this on my own, at least at first.

I'll see if I can bump up the cadence--it's hard to guess what it is, and I've been reluctant to buy an expensive computer for it. All I know is, I felt like I had way more power in this new setting, but perhaps at a lower rpm. It felt good.
Old 05-13-17, 06:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sure, but it seemed Hogg didn't put much faith in measurements--he seemed to go by eye. Just sayin'. Which is why I was going to try and tackle this on my own, at least at first.

I'll see if I can bump up the cadence--it's hard to guess what it is, and I've been reluctant to buy an expensive computer for it. All I know is, I felt like I had way more power in this new setting, but perhaps at a lower rpm. It felt good.
No need to guess. You can count your cadence, you know.
Old 05-13-17, 06:32 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah, that is true. I did get a cheapo computer with a clock on it, I should see if it counts seconds. Of course, I'm usually not capable of thinking while pedaling hard (I usually feel flat out on hills, keeping my HR down, air up, cadence is by feel during that).
Old 05-13-17, 08:54 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked 1,448 Times in 995 Posts
Many reasons:

- BB height is different (already mentioned above)
- BB width too large or small
- Seat position (height, forward or backward, tilt)
- Maybe the seat tube angle is different and causing the problem
- seat-to-handlebar distance too long/short.
. . . and . . .
- Crank arm length. I mention this as I had this problem. I only found this out after borrowing someone else's bicycle for a ride and noticing my knees' rotation didn't feel 'strange' as I was riding, nor sore after riding (as best as I can describe it). The only difference I noticed on that the borrowed bike had shorter crank arms. I bought a crank with shorter arms and it worked! Great fit, no more knee issues. FWIW: I went from 175mm to 170mm crank.
Old 05-13-17, 09:35 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old bike runs 170mm cranks, new bike is 172.5mm. Close enough I'd think. Bike has to be different on angles; center of saddle/seatpost tube intersection to handlebars is 25" on old bike, 26" on new bike. But that's what I wanted: a more aggressive bike, for more aggressive riding (gotta keep up on group rides).

Took my old bike out and raised the saddle 5mm, moved it back 5mm. Did a 26 mile loop that I like. MMR said 3k feet climbing last time, and 1,900 feet this time, so... Despite moving to 28mm tires (from 25) and adding fenders I did it in the same 16.1mph average. My knees did start aching towards the end so I'll be curious how they do today. My lower back started aching too; I think moving the saddle back and up means I want the handlebars to do likewise. It's supposed to be my easy riding bike, and I was comfortable on it before; but with this change I noticed more weight on my arms. I did notice more glute work on this ride, at a few spots I seemed to be able to turn off the quads and feel something in the rump doing work.
Old 05-13-17, 02:56 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Now, I was fitted to my bike a few years ago, so it can't possibly be a fit issue...
I fit my own, it's not rocket science and since every body is different, all our bones of different lengths etc, who's to say a simple fit criteria fits all? As for your knee discomfort, that's a sure sign something is amiss unless you have been pushing it hard. I found my saddle was slightly too far back when I had that and a few mm of adjustment cured it but that was my fix, yours could be something else hey.
Old 05-13-17, 03:08 PM
79pmooney

Interesting. ...

That Steve Hogg guy (and others) seemed to be against using plumb bobs and various measurement rules. ...
The plumb bob isn't a rule. It is a reference line you can measure to so you can make incremental changes yo can duplicate. I take it a step further. I put a piece of tape half way back the length of the saddle and measure to there for both the distance back and seat height. That tape is relatively close to my hip joints and is not affected much by changing the saddle tilt. (Some "experts" may espouse setting the seat nose at the plumb bob to the BB or some other "magic" distance. I am sure there are riders and applications where it works but I haven't read those authors and don't plan to.)

Ben
Old 05-13-17, 03:36 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I was fortunate enough to share an afternoon time slot at a a couple of wellness conferences with a Physical Therapist who specialized in bike fitting. After my wife and I finished our bike maintenance presentation the PT would use my wife and her bike to demonstrate how to fit a bike. My wife has a fit issue of unequal leg lengths. The PT took my wife on as a patient and fitted all her bikes, plus shimmed one of her cleats. The bottom line is that we picked up the basics of fitting, and yes measurements are important.

Seat height is adjusted to a height so your leg forms an approximate 150 degree angle at the knee when you foot is at the 6 o'clock position. Seat position, fore and aft, is adjusted so that the bottom of the knee cap is directly over the pedal's spindle. Yes, a plumb bob is used. Reach is adjusted by stem length. As one of the other posters said, this is the starting point. All this assumes you have the correct size frame to start with.

Generally, if the pain is in the front part of the knee the seat may be too low, seat may be too far forward, or you are mashing too high of gears, and long cranks.

If the pain is at the back of the knee the saddle is usually too high.

172.5 mm cranks are not considered long. However, being able to put a foot on the ground from the saddle indicates that the saddle is too low.

Just some thoughts. There are some good basic bike fitting videos on the internet.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-13-17 at 09:37 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.