Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone commuting with a rear rack mounted basket?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-19, 03:47 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 108 Posts

I mounted a Wald 137 basket on my rear rack thinking it would work for a short (about 2 miles each way) daily commute. I don't like the way it handles though. I'm considering ditching the basket and the rack, and using a backpack. I don't like riding with a backpack either, but I'm not sure yet which one I dislike more. Anyone else try both these methods? What was your outcome? This is on a modern, drop bar road bike. Thanks!
Old 10-20-19, 02:32 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
On my grocery bike, which is also my inclement weather bike, I have both a trunk bag and one Wald 582 basket. My other bike has a cheap trunk bag that has small fold out panniers that are really good for storing the sweater I need in the morning, but not on the way home. Both My bike's are ridge mountain bikes and my commute is also 2 miles. I would say the trunk bag is my favorite. I have a inexpensive pannier that I tried for groceries and the rack wasn't the right one. A gallon of milk shifted in the bag, and the pannier hit the rear wheel causing 2 inches of the seam to open. Still used it on my bike overnighter.(See Photo) I found a lunch bag that fits in my trunk bag. That's usually all I have to worry about. If I need extra clothes, I use the side bags. Also I found a sling back pack I've used but I don't want to use back packs in the heat. I really don't want a back pack when my bike could carry the load. What do you need to carry?

https://www.amazon.com/Disconano-Wat...%2C189&sr=1-55

Last edited by baldilocks; 10-20-19 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-20-19, 09:40 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
I too like the lower center of gravity of the folding 582 rack. I've got it on the cargo bike, but even on my commuters, I have no problem with a heavy pannier on just one side for my ten mile commute.

My kids have top baskets on their rear racks because their backpacks are much too large for the 582 racks. One rides two miles to school with the backpack in the rack. The other kid wears the backpack and only uses the rack for a cable lock for a one mile ride to school. This is on a small 24" wheel bike where there is no front triangle space for the lock.

So there you go, one family with three different preferences: top basket, backpack, and side pannier.

Edit to add: the kids are on straight bar bikes, I'm on drop bar bikes.
Old 10-20-19, 09:59 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've been using a Wald 585 non-folding basket for upwards of 20 years. I attach it to the side of my rack with stainless hose clamps.

I've always preferred a basket over anything else, as I can just drop stuff in, and it handles weather and abuse better than anything else. Once the basket is full, I can still lay stuff over the top of the basket and rack, and hold it down with an old innertube. I've carried entire bikes home that way.

Having everything on one side doesn't really seem particularly bothersome. I put it on the drive side -- it also functions as a sort of roll bar to protect the drivetrain from getting bashed when the bike is parked or falls over.
Old 10-23-19, 01:03 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Not a basket, but I zip-tied a light bag on a seatpost rack on my road bike. Shaped inside with coroplast. Just keep it light, doesn't affect the handling or balance.
Old 10-23-19, 01:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
I mounted a Wald 137 basket on my rear rack thinking it would work for a short (about 2 miles each way) daily commute. I don't like the way it handles though. I'm considering ditching the basket and the rack, and using a backpack. I don't like riding with a backpack either, but I'm not sure yet which one I dislike more. Anyone else try both these methods? What was your outcome? This is on a modern, drop bar road bike. Thanks!
Backpacks are not as comfortable or convenient for handling bulky packages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
beer in basket.jpg (82.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 10-27-19, 12:45 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
This works for me- Folding basket's because I only need them open part of the time.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-27-19, 01:13 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I got head shake and it’s tippy when you’re walking it.
Old 10-27-19, 01:56 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I like my bike to be light and agile. So before I got a Toothpick trunk. It has expandable storage, handles, a shoulder strap, water bottle holder, and a rain coat. The rail beam is quick release and had a mount for a reflector or rear light.

When I just want to go for a ride and not commute to work everything comes off and stores in a snap. The clamp trunks are limited to 20 lbs so it won't carry a weeks worth of groceries or a keg of beer like the ones shown above.

1024 × 768
Old 10-27-19, 07:26 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I rack my backpack.

I also use Wald 582 Folding Baskets.

The center of gravity on the Wald folders is low enough to carry 50lbs of is low enough to carry 50lbs of ice melt on snow and ICE!