Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Touching up old steel frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-23, 11:16 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 791 Times in 381 Posts

I'm rebuilding my old Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo. It's solid but has plenty of battle scars from racing, touring, and the urban jungle. I want to clean the spots with a wire brush and then want to protect the metal from further rusting.

I don't want to us touch up paint though. The battle scars are part of the bike's story now and I want them there but not rusting any further.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 08-23-23, 12:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6216 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 3,329 Posts
Clear coat it with some polyurethane or urethane that is made for autos or other outdoor vehicles. I haven't been too happy with the rattle can clear coats I've bought at the big box building supply stores that claim they are exterior. I didn't use them on a bicycle though. However they didn't seem to last long for the lawn art and other things my wife likes to buy.

Or just clean it up and keep a coat of car wax on it.... if they make car wax today. Been several decades since I've used it.

I like the character and history such stuff relates too.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-23-23, 02:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
I would be very careful is using a wire brush, it is easy to scratch up the good paint next to the scratch. Instead I would suggest a knife edge to scratch off the rust, much easier to control at the edges of the scratch. I would also hesitate to spray the frame completely with a clear coat. Lots of prep work on large areas not needing any protection... Clear nail polish or cleat model car/plane paint only on the damaged spots should work well and take a ton less time. Andy
Old 08-23-23, 06:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5797 Post(s)
Liked 2,615 Times in 1,452 Posts
Use vinegar or citric acid (lemon juice) to stabilize the rust, then a cloth to rub off whatever it will.

Repeat and rinse well, and paper towel dry. Now paint or clearcoat to seal. If you don't see much weather, multiple coats of wax be adequate protection.

FWIW the steels typically used for bikes, especially better ones, don't tend to rust that quickly, except, maybe, in harsh marine environments. All my steel bikes have seen years of hard all weather use, and never more than a vinegar wipe every once in a long while and never did worse than show their age.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-23-23 at 06:33 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-23-23, 07:47 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 155 Posts
Scratch pen
Old 08-23-23, 07:47 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 535 Posts
That red? for future Reference.. "Toolbox Red" from Rustoleum.. it's a dead-on match for Specialized Bright Red, non-metallic... and looks to be identical to the red Gary Fisher bikes too. .. and possibly many Treks.
Old 08-23-23, 10:47 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
You could buy or mix up the same stuff they use to protect the patina on old cars, poppy's patina for example.
The whole vid is useful but he mixes his own sauce around 26 mins
Likes For Canker:
Old 08-24-23, 07:21 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by streetsurfer
+1. These scratch pens are great for removing rust and paint fast while having control in small spots and areas and they come in different diameter tips for small to large areas. I've used these on small chips where you can just twist the pen and confine the scratching to an area the same size as the chip and just add a dab of paint to fill it in. I'll add that when using this wear some latex or nitrile gloves as the super thin glass strands break off during use and get imbedded in your skin and near impossible to find and remove until your skin sheds them. Also, use some kind of cover over your work area to catch the broken strands as they will end up stuck in bare feet eventually.......IME.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 08-24-23, 07:28 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 155 Posts
All great points, and thanks for adding them Crankycrank
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 08-24-23, 07:29 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Definitely take care of the rust, but the battle scars are a part of your and the bike's connection.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 08-25-23, 02:37 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
You could buy or mix up the same stuff they use to protect the patina on old cars, poppy's patina for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD7AvQZoYcU
The whole vid is useful but he mixes his own sauce around 26 mins
He sells the stuff now: Derek's Shine Juice.