Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Another noob, hybrid-shopping

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-13, 03:20 AM
ChristinaK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shopping, and looking for advice.

Background: Chicago woman, 5'9", 170. Want to take cycling up for fitness, lakeside pleasantries, but also to participate in a charity ride I've been invited to ride in next summer (two days, 200 miles).

After checking out several LBS options and test-riding several bikes, I'm torn between the 2013 Jamis Coda Sport and the 2013 Raleigh Cadent FT2. I really like both bikes (although I'd need to change saddles on the Cadent). Thanks to "end of the model year" sales, they're both in my price range (ideally under $500, tolerable at $600.

Any thoughts on the supremacy of one over the other? I've ridden both a couple times ( as well as a few alternatives) and these are the two that really seem to suit my frame.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-13, 05:05 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Personally I wouldn't want to ride a hundred miles a day on any of those bikes.
Have you ever done such a thing before?
What is your age, fitness level and ability or desire to ride in a more aggressive position?
Have you considered or had any experience with an actual road bike?
Out of those two, looking at the components, I believe the Raleigh is the better bike.
Old 10-17-13, 05:17 AM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are nice bikes but with the distances you are indicating, it looks to me like you would need more of an endurance bike... like a Dolce for example...You might find a leftover...
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik.../dolce-compact

I started earlier this year with a Hybrid and after a month i switched to a road bike and to me it's a lot more comfortable for even 25 mile rides so i can't imagine doing 100 plus miles on a hybrid...this is my opinion only so take it or leave it but give yourself the option...If you have a performance bike around you can get a good deal there ....look at the geometry of the Dolce, it's like the Roubaix...it's designed for distance. You can always put a stem riser if the bars are not high enough...That is what i did to my CAAD8...
Old 10-17-13, 05:18 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
Welcome to the forum.
Personally I wouldn't want to ride a hundred miles a day on any of those bikes.
Have you ever done such a thing before?
What is your age, fitness level and ability or desire to ride in a more aggressive position?
Have you considered or had any experience with an actual road bike?
Out of those two, looking at the components, I believe the Raleigh is the better bike.
+1

A road bike would be more ideal for century riding. That said however, I have seen my share of performance hybrids doing centuries, as well. Drop handle bars allow you to have more hand positions. Also, while in the drops, you can assume a more aerodynamic position for greater speed.

Save up about $400 more and get a Giant Defy, a Jamis Quest Sport, or a Raleigh Revenio.

Last edited by WestPablo; 10-17-13 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-17-13, 11:18 AM
ChristinaK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions so far. I'm 46, moderately good shape (lots of running/romping with the dog, some yoga). The ride next summer is not a race, and I really don't enjoy pure road bikes -- you can consider that a vestige of growing up on a horse ranch, but I just don't like the positioning. The budget is a hard limit.
Old 10-17-13, 11:27 AM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got a Coda Comp, very nice and comfortable bike. Never had any problems with it.
Old 10-17-13, 12:57 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristinaK
Thank you for the suggestions so far. I'm 46, moderately good shape (lots of running/romping with the dog, some yoga). The ride next summer is not a race, and I really don't enjoy pure road bikes -- you can consider that a vestige of growing up on a horse ranch, but I just don't like the positioning. The budget is a hard limit.
I haven't done a century on my hybrid (yet), but several people tell me it's a reasonable thing to try. I do 30 or 40 miles on mine (a Giant Escape City) and feel like I could go a lot farther if I had more time.
Old 10-17-13, 01:05 PM
caffein8ed

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 306 Posts
I've been riding a 2013 Jamis Coda Sport since early September. It performs perfectly, and I've found it to be a very comfortable ride. Granted, I haven't taken it for any 100 mile trips yet, but for three 35-ish mile excursions and about a dozen more at 20+ miles, it hasn't been anything but a pleasure to ride.
Old 10-17-13, 01:57 PM
kashride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you also tried Trek FX series? 7.2 FX should be around your budget. Or perhaps a used road bike? Multiple hand positions on a road bike is a good idea for comfort reasons during your century ride. Keep us posted on the choice you make. It'll be fun no matter what you decide!
Old 10-17-13, 02:02 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did 70-mile rides on my Trek FX when I had it and didn't have any issues. You won't go as fast on a hybrid compared to a road bike, but if the bike fit is good and you're comfortable you shouldn't have a problem doing 100 miles.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 10-17-13, 02:54 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
My Giant Cypress (2010) has done 100km (62miles) on numerous occasions. The seat required a change to a narrower type and rack and fenders and bar ends were added for different hand positions. I also changed the pedals to SPD/flat and can ride clipless or street shoe. In newer bikes, check out some of the fitness models. They are sort of flat bar road bikes.
Old 10-17-13, 03:23 PM
ChristinaK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks folks! Yes, I did try a Trek and it and the Cannondale Quick were in my second rank... I liked them, but not as much as neither really felt "me" as much as the Jamis Coda Sport and the Cadent. (First thing I learned as a lurker when I started shopping a month ago? Get on the bikes and ride. )

Anyone have any thoughts if I took the Cadent down a notch, to the 2013 FT1 or FT0? Those are much the same price as the Coda Sport; the LBS is getting a little squiggly on price (now he's asking $675 on the FT2), but they do provide/install a kickstand, reflectors and water bottle cage, all of which I'd want to add to the Jamis Sport.
Old 10-18-13, 08:30 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChristinaK
Thanks folks! Yes, I did try a Trek and it and the Cannondale Quick were in my second rank... I liked them, but not as much as neither really felt "me" as much as the Jamis Coda Sport and the Cadent. (First thing I learned as a lurker when I started shopping a month ago? Get on the bikes and ride. )

Anyone have any thoughts if I took the Cadent down a notch, to the 2013 FT1 or FT0? Those are much the same price as the Coda Sport; the LBS is getting a little squiggly on price (now he's asking $675 on the FT2), but they do provide/install a kickstand, reflectors and water bottle cage, all of which I'd want to add to the Jamis Sport.
I like the Coda!
Old 10-18-13, 09:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
you might also be able to find a nice used Trek FX. I got 2 this summer for son & wifey, just be sure to get the right size! they both love theirs.

you might need a 15" but here are some 17.5" to look at
https://chicago.craigslist.org/search...xAsk=&hasPic=1
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/4112804920.html