Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you log your rides?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you log your rides?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 06:43 AM
unabowler

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My log is an Excel spreadsheet that I've kept since 2010. I use websites, too, and among mapmyride, Garmin Connect, and Strava, I like Strava for logging rides and mapmyride for mapping out new courses.
Old 05-21-14, 06:56 AM
DBA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another spreadsheet user, here.
However, I'm looking at the SigmaSport data center and getting a Rox10 or similar that can link to said software.
Old 05-21-14, 07:11 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I've been logging my distances since April 29, 1990. 24 years.

In the beginning I kept track in notebooks, then I put it all into an Excel spreadsheet which I continue to use to this day.

I also use bikejournal and BigDogs.
Old 05-21-14, 07:14 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I got a Garmin for it's route map display. But I found I like to see the ride statistics, too.

I've been using My Tourbook, free, open source software that runs on my PC. It took a while to get all it's options set up the way I like it.

I set the main display this way. Top left is a ride list with monthly and yearly subtotals. Click on a ride and show it's route on the map, with the route line color coded by speed. The ride's charts, with elevation, speed, and heart rate at the bottom. The map and charts are zoomable.

The map zoomed in. Each dot is from the one-per-second gps recording.

One year of rides, zoomed in:

Old 05-21-14, 07:25 AM
Hammondc
Wait up!!!!

Bikes: 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Map my Ride
Old 05-21-14, 07:31 AM
Huskysibe

Bikes: Scott Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas. I don't care about speed etc, I ride for exercise and would like to see my progress in the future.
Old 05-21-14, 07:51 AM
bulevardi

Bikes: L'Avenir Urban, Cannondale Bad Boy

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 22 Posts
Made an excel sheet.
Pop's up a form where you can log your commuting or recreative miles, and it automatically logs it to a list via macros.
Calculates miles aswel as metric system. Shows average amount miles per biked days or per day, updates a graphic, etc...

Will put it online somewhere later on so you guys can use it too
I'm commuting since march now, just over 100 miles today (commuting only)

I update it each day at work. Send it to my email adres to have it at home, so I can update at home in holidays when I ride recreationally.
Old 05-21-14, 08:04 AM
dave s

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This sounds interesting, I went to the app stroe and found a bunch of gps logger apps. Do you mind sharing which one you like/use?

thx!
Old 05-21-14, 08:06 AM
bulevardi

Don't have a GPS or smartphone or app-medium, yet.
But do have a desktop at home, works fine for me

Last edited by bulevardi; 05-21-14 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 08:16 AM
DBA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I got a Garmin for it's route map display. But I found I like to see the ride statistics, too.

I've been using My Tourbook, free, open source software that runs on my PC. It took a while to get all it's options set up the way I like it.

I set the main display this way. Top left is a ride list with monthly and yearly subtotals. Click on a ride and show it's route on the map, with the route line color coded by speed. The ride's charts, with elevation, speed, and heart rate at the bottom. The map and charts are zoomable.

The map zoomed in. Each dot is from the one-per-second gps recording.

One year of rides, zoomed in:

Will have to check this out tonight when I get home. Grazie.
Old 05-21-14, 08:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
I record the daily rides in a Week-at-a-Glance calendar. At the end of the year I transfer the data to an Excel spreadsheet. I used to keep them all in the same workbook but that got too cumbersome...I have 25 years of records I have summarized the data for the last 25 year and just keep a summary of each year separately. I break out commuting miles from recreational miles and calculate an estimate of each year's savings on car mileage, gas, and carbon. I save, roughly, 1.5 tons of carbon a year.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-21-14, 10:47 AM
DBA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I record the daily rides in a Week-at-a-Glance calendar. At the end of the year I transfer the data to an Excel spreadsheet. I used to keep them all in the same workbook but that got too cumbersome...I have 25 years of records I have summarized the data for the last 25 year and just keep a summary of each year separately. I break out commuting miles from recreational miles and calculate an estimate of each year's savings on car mileage, gas, and carbon. I save, roughly, 1.5 tons of carbon a year.
Does that carbon reduction take into account the extra burritos for all the riding?
Old 05-21-14, 12:34 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another vote for Map My Ride. My whole family uses it and we can share and compare.
Old 05-21-14, 01:11 PM
Huskysibe

Bikes: Scott Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of map my ride folks. I had the app but deleted it because it would take forever to lock onto GPS andI hated waiting for it. I use Strava and it does a decent job but I like the function in MMR where I can look for routes near me.
Old 05-21-14, 01:30 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
...and calculate an estimate of each year's savings on car mileage, gas, and carbon. I save, roughly, 1.5 tons of carbon a year.
I did that when I was riding a motorcycle. Found out that it cost more to ride the motorcycle than it did to drive the 20 mpg car. The problem was, I rode 20 miles into work in the dark, but then at 3 pm, it was 80° and beautiful out and the home ride would be 80 miles or so, LOL.

For the bicycle record, I run a cheap bike computer from Walmart and record the distance, time, average speed, and calories burned (the computer gives the lowest amount of calories out of several phone apps and online calorie calculators.) I jot them down in Excel and also use this to post in the Clyde section on the monthly mileage thread.

I didn't last year because I only rode on the bike trail, but this year since I started riding on the roads, I run MapMyRide. The ride time and average is usually off from the bike computer though because the pause function doesn't always work compared to the bike computer positively seeing that the wheel is no longer spinning. I've found MapMyRide off by 15-20 minutes as I was stopping for some photography moments on an hour and 45 minute ride.
Old 05-21-14, 01:36 PM
caffein8ed

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Huskysibe
A lot of map my ride folks. I had the app but deleted it because it would take forever to lock onto GPS andI hated waiting for it.
Another Map My Ride user here. I don't use the device app, though - I just pop my bike computer off after a ride, and go enter the data on my PC.
Old 05-21-14, 03:33 PM
Vanicent

Bikes: Fuji Jari 1.7, Fuji Roubaix 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Strava.
Old 05-21-14, 06:04 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
CycliStats
Old 05-22-14, 01:20 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a software developer person, so I just use my work tools, once of which is SQL Server. A touch overkill, but the querying ability is pretty much unmatched I've got history going back many years saved there. At some point I'll get around to putting a UI on it (cobbler's children and all that), so for now when I update my daily ride I do it this-a-way:

update journal set bikeid = 5, bikemiles = 34.37 --r5
where entrydate = CONVERT( CHAR(8), GetDate(), 112) --'2014-05-17' --

If I want to find out how many century rides I've done so far this year, I can do:

select * from Journal where entrydate between '2014-01-01' and '2014-12-31 23:59' and bikemiles > 99

Too geeky for words, but what can I say?

Last edited by JimF22003; 05-22-14 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-22-14, 02:14 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Endomondo. Three years of data in there.
Old 05-22-14, 02:57 AM
bulevardi

Originally Posted by bulevardi
Made an excel sheet.
Pop's up a form where you can log your commuting or recreative miles, and it automatically logs it to a list via macros.
Calculates miles aswel as metric system. Shows average amount miles per biked days or per day, updates a graphic, etc...

Will put it online somewhere later on so you guys can use it too
I'm commuting since march now, just over 100 miles today (commuting only)

I update it each day at work. Send it to my email adres to have it at home, so I can update at home in holidays when I ride recreationally.
Ok, I put my sheet online here:
https://users.telenet.be/bulevardi/demo/bikemileage.xls

Make sure you enable the macro's, otherwise it won't run some automated parts

Someone else wants to share his/her log sheet?
Old 05-22-14, 03:00 AM
MikeDVB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clever... I wonder if there is anything out there PHP+MySQL based for this purpose... I'm a developer myself of over a couple decades and could whip something up that can be hosted on just about any shared hosting server. [I run a hosting provider myself, so I have plenty of access to that on my own personal account]...

If there's interest I may make it available to others. Being that this would be a personal project just for the fun of making something I can't make any promises but if anybody has any ideas of features that they would like included feel free to drop me a PM.
Old 05-22-14, 03:36 AM
bulevardi

Originally Posted by MikeDVB
Clever... I wonder if there is anything out there PHP+MySQL based for this purpose... I'm a developer myself of over a couple decades and could whip something up that can be hosted on just about any shared hosting server. [I run a hosting provider myself, so I have plenty of access to that on my own personal account]...

If there's interest I may make it available to others. Being that this would be a personal project just for the fun of making something I can't make any promises but if anybody has any ideas of features that they would like included feel free to drop me a PM.
Could be very handy to log everything webbased. Than I don't have to transfer my excel file to different locations where I use it (work or home or somewhere else).

If you have too much spare time to make it
But personally, I like filling in my own made sheet at the moment, as I spend some time and work in it to make it.
Old 05-22-14, 03:50 AM
MikeDVB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can create a basic web-based logging system pretty quickly but it would be very basic - date/time, duration, distance. I will have to look and see what others are wanting logged.

I know I've never worried about gear ratios or crank sets before but I'm learning .
Old 05-22-14, 05:46 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Excel. I record the rides using the Runtastic.com app on my smartphone, and copy the link to the ride into the spreadsheet. My totals the last couple years have been depressingly low, so maybe I shouldn't bother.

Excel updated from whatever tracking device(s) I'm using. The spreadsheet is so I can change Apps w/o losing history. Currently using Endomondo, considering changing just don't know what too. Once every few rides my phone/Endomondo/User Error causes no ride data, but I have use a bike comp also, so always get some tracking data.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.