Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 05:55 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I'm pretty sure you can get a baby seat in the back seat of a 991, its significantly bigger than the 997's backseat. Hell, we make our 22 year old sit back there.

And if you want a GT-3, they've fixed the issue with the engine bearing that caused them to catch on fire.
Infants should not ride in back seats.
Old 09-05-14, 06:28 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre
I had no idea you had one.

When I was looking at cars in 2002 I had it narrowed down to the original Viper (used, no particular car, I'd look for one), a new Dodge Ram dually crew cab (biggest thing I could drive), a Lotus Esprit S4S (I knew/saw the car, talked with the owner a couple times, and asked the mechanic about it), and a new 350Z. I ended up with the new Z.

Daily commute of about an hour each way in NY/CT meant that in the Viper I'd have to really bundle up for those 10-15 degree F drives. I didn't like any aftermarket roofs so maybe a tonneau cover? A good friend has a restoration place including leather/interior work stuff (they did a couple tonneau covers for classic cars) so that would be where I'd get that. I figured that the Viper would mean doing something like a full body suit like a motorcycle along with a full face helmet.

After thinking about it for a bit, thinking about the gas, the fact that driving in snow or rain (think heavy downpours where the highway has a couple inches of standing water) would be really stupid, I passed on even looking for a Viper. Lotus was sold before I could get it but I was really leery of it because it'd be a daily driver. I figured I could justify a pickup later in life but not a sports car. My mom approved of the Z. Therefore the Z.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 09-05-14, 06:31 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Creatre, you should bring your car down to Roebling. There's a Porsche club DE coming up in October, all makes welcome.
How big are the parking spaces ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-05-14, 08:20 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Most girls don't really care about cars.

And Creatre, that there are two other cars parked around you implies other people park in that area, therefore you are parking like an ass.

And Gramercy, don't complain - you can afford a parking space in NYC. That's pretty well off.
I am not really sure what this proves.
Of course girls don't give a flying **** about the car, but it doesn't mean they don't care what car the dude drives.
Old 09-05-14, 09:42 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
How big are the parking spaces ?
I know we all joke, but that he didn't come out and say like "I just parked there, took a pic as a joke, and moved it" has really changed my opinion...
Old 09-06-14, 01:18 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ygduf
I know we all joke, but that he didn't come out and say like "I just parked there, took a pic as a joke, and moved it" has really changed my opinion...
Some people are special.

Old 09-06-14, 05:07 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As an owner of a Mazda5, I can not participate in this conversation....
Old 09-06-14, 06:46 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rbart4506
As an owner of a Mazda5, I can not participate in this conversation....
Wanna trade for my old Honda Accord ?

Old 09-06-14, 06:52 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Wanna trade for my old Honda Accord ?
Can I fit my bike in the back standing up? Probably not...

I still have to steal a drive in my son's Focus ST.... That's about as close to a sports car as I can get lol
Old 09-06-14, 07:04 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Is it bad to lay your bike down in the back ? I've been doing it for years. I better go to the 41 and see if I am damaging the frame with uneven stresses.

Old 09-06-14, 07:10 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pressure on the BB from the pedal pressing against the floor will kill the bike... And if you lay it down on the drive train side you are doing unforeseeable damage!
Old 09-06-14, 07:34 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

I have an aluminum bike, so I must have messed up the crystalline structure of the frame. Damn ... No wonder I'm so slow.

Old 09-06-14, 09:42 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by globecanvas
After 10+ years of chronic lower back pain, generally at the annoyance level, I finally went to a sports PT that everybody I know raves about.

2 herniated discs, exacerbated by congenital scoliosis. I had no idea my spine was curved, but it's clear as day on the x-ray. The pain is caused by the disc pressing against a nerve, which has led to weakness in the left side lower back, glutes, and hamstrings. I didn't realize my left side was so much weaker than the right, but it was painfully obvious when he had me try to resist certain movements on both sides. I don't notice the weakness on the bike but it has to be affecting things.

He also said unequivocally that I need to set up a standing desk, or my back will never get better. So I set that up today. It's going to take a lot of getting used to! I put a sleeping bag pad under my feet which helps a lot, but still, I find myself shuffling my feet constantly, and taking lots of breaks from work. Which is a good thing, on balance, I suppose.
Update on this. I've had the standing desk set up for about 3 weeks now. The chronic back pain is reduced to the point of being almost gone. The diagnosis is that the sitting position aggravates the herniated discs, which swell up and press against spinal nerves. Not sitting means not aggravating the injury which means no pain.

This is something I've been living with for over 10 years and it's amazing to me that a simple behavior change made it go away. The standing desk is somewhat inconvenient, though less so after becoming acclimatized. I can't work for as long in a single session (I'm a computer programmer), so I take lots of little breaks, which is probably also healthful.
Old 09-06-14, 09:45 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's great news gc
Old 09-06-14, 10:00 AM
ovoleg