Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sram eTap

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sram eTap

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-15, 11:35 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by HazeT
where did I claim it is a problem?
You were complaining about the metrics they use to measure battery life. I was pointing out that if you charge the battery when you charge your Garmin, the number of shifts/miles/hours doesn't matter.
Old 11-13-15, 11:39 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
That's good to hear. I hope SRAM's version is similar in that regard.
Unless you ride at temps below zero Fahrenheit, or above 110F, you shouldn't have any temperature related battery issues.
Old 11-13-15, 01:42 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
That's good to hear. I hope SRAM's version is similar in that regard.

Should be. Has really nothing to do with which company made the battery but rather what chemistry. I believe they are the same chemistry (Li-ion) so they should both have the same capacity performance in cold and hot.

J.
Old 11-13-15, 08:28 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
You were complaining about the metrics they use to measure battery life. I was pointing out that if you charge the battery when you charge your Garmin, the number of shifts/miles/hours doesn't matter.
Nobody wants to hear that. I have already died once on that hill. The position favored by the majority of users seems to be that Shimano has published a spec, and by G-d they are going to be held to it. Folks seem to rather risking being stranded on the road due to an exhausted battery than letting Shimano get away with misrepresenting the battery charge life. What fun is it to charge your DI2 battery every week or so and be safe when, instead, you can ***** and moan about how you never get the charge life you were promised?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-13-15, 08:30 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Nobody wants to hear that. I have already died once on that hill. The position favored by the majority of users seems to be that Shimano has published a spec, and by G-d they are going to be held to it. Folks seem to rather risking being stranded on the road due to an exhausted battery than letting Shimano get away with misrepresenting the battery charge life. What fun is it to charge your DI2 battery every week or so and be safe when, instead, you can ***** and moan about how you never get the charge life you were promised?
Nice ting about the Sram batteries, are they disconnect in a second and you can bring them inside to charge. you don't have to brin the bike to a outlet.
Old 11-13-15, 09:50 PM
Robius

Bikes: Felt AR2 Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
I wish they could be charged only with a usb cord, instead they do have a special charger.

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/produ...attery-charger
Old 11-13-15, 09:53 PM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 150 Posts
Charge generated by the hub would be nice.
Old 11-13-15, 10:23 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
and only activated while simultaneously braking and coasting.
Old 11-13-15, 11:13 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nemeseri
...... 1000 km isn't that much with one charge and probably you will charge it quite frequently.
......... you will have to replace the batteries after a couple of years.
Riding and depending on an external battery system with rain, mud, hail involved? Well... I don't know. Time will tell how reliable it is.

When I was a kid a flashlight really did have a "flash button" (the round button in front of the sliding switch). And because batteries and battery life was so crappy that is how a "flash" light was used. You'd push he button for just a "flash" while scanning the area for obstructions. Using a mere flash/fraction of a second of battery life/light maybe every 20 feet.

Whatever battery life is for the shifters... it will improve.
And since the average speed even for a pro is still under 25mph (40KM).... 1000km (25 hours) ain't that bad.

The battery in my car key (that alarms and locks my car)... has been exposed to just about any and everything I'd ever put me or a bicycle through. I think weatherproof technology has been perfected for this kind of stuff.

I LIKE the idea of wireless electric shifters! I also like DT mounted friction shifters too. I say embrace the new... and preserve the old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
imagesRBJHIDC2.jpg (3.1 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 11-13-15 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-13-15, 11:23 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
The new way to charge batteries is via an RF charger. An internal antenna receives radio waves and uses that energy to charge the battery. As these devices are perfected... it is possible that a fine wire embedded in the bicycles frame could gather all the charge the bicycle might ever need.

But.... a [wireless device] RF charger in the garage could charge your electric drill, leaf blower, and your bicycle and it's accessories... without you ever giving it a thought (or plugging anything in).
Old 11-13-15, 11:39 PM
snotrockets

Bikes: Merlin Extralight

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonz50
one of the things that wireless shifting opens up to is being able to connect to a head unit (like garmin) and use cadence, speed, gear selection, power, etc and will be able to automatically be able to shift to keep you in your cadence without having to think about it....
I don't want my car to change gears for me, why would I want my bike?
Old 11-14-15, 05:52 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
So far all vapor-ware. Want to see some early adopters give some feedback. Haven't seen any indication when it will actually be available.

scott s.
I work in an LBS and was curious about this too. QBP has the eTap stuff listed but with zero inventory and shows the end of April as the get-well date.

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-14-15, 06:08 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by snotrockets
I don't want my car to change gears for me, why would I want my bike?
Does it not bother you even a little that most folks made it out of the 20th century before you even made it into it?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-14-15, 06:51 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Does it not bother you even a little that most folks made it out of the 20th century before you even made it into it?
'Changing gears' in a car has become 'push a button' too. But one still has control over those shift points. A computer trying to select the right cadence for me is a terrible idea especially since it doesn't control the power output of my legs at the same time.
Old 11-14-15, 07:00 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by joejack951
'Changing gears' in a car has become 'push a button' too. But one still has control over those shift points. A computer trying to select the right cadence for me is a terrible idea especially since it doesn't control the power output of my legs at the same time.
Fine, but that isn't the point I was addressing.

As for your point, the computer wouldn't be selecting the cadence, you would. The computer would be obeying your choice at whatever power output you felt like exerting at any given time. If you didn't wish to utilize that function, you would deselect it, i.e. turn it off. What's not to like?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-14-15, 10:33 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
The new way to charge batteries is via an RF charger. An internal antenna receives radio waves and uses that energy to charge the battery. As these devices are perfected... it is possible that a fine wire embedded in the bicycles frame could gather all the charge the bicycle might ever need.

But.... a [wireless device] RF charger in the garage could charge your electric drill, leaf blower, and your bicycle and it's accessories... without you ever giving it a thought (or plugging anything in).
Not unless you wanted to be cooked when you walked into your garage (need really high power levels). The RF charging is at pico/microwatt levels. You cannot deliver enough power to work an electric motor to run a leaf blower or a derailleur (for that matter) on those power levels. You're up against laws of physics in that you need a certain amount of energy to move a certain mass a certain distance. You'll never be able to deliver that with an RF charger unless you want to wait a very, very, very long time for the charge to complete.

J.
Old 11-14-15, 10:36 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Nice ting about the Sram batteries, are they disconnect in a second and you can bring them inside to charge. you don't have to brin the bike to a outlet.
So do Di2 batteries if you choose that form factor. I have the seat tube battery because I think it looks better. The SRAM drive train would look better if the batteries were hidden too.

I'm interested to see how FSA is going to do it. Apparently their FD and RD are wired together and have a single battery. The shifters are wireless so it's kind of a hybrid wireless/wired system. The only wire runs through the seat tube through the chain stay form FD to RD as I understand it. That might be the optimum mix of wired/wireless and have advantages.

I agree. It's silly. You can easily check the charge on your battery with the shift levers and the junction box under the stem. Even if I had to charge my battery once a week, it wouldn't be a problem for the value gained by the shifting.

J.
Old 11-14-15, 11:29 AM
Butchchr
Basement Lurker

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Cannondale: SR500, R4000, CAAD3 R800, CAAD5 Ironman800, Cyclocross, Six13

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With all of the wireless signals being sent at once in the peloton I could see some signal interference. I can't wait to hear about the first accusations of someone hacking the wireless system to force someone else to have a mechanical...

But in all seriousness I am intrigued by the eTap system from a ergonomic standpoint. Last year I suffered a hand injury and since then Shimano shifters (mechanical included) have fallen out of favor with me as I don't have the same motion and can no longer feel the difference between the levers and have grabbed the wrong one a few times. I find myself riding my Sram an Campy equipped bikes a lot more frequently. I am excited about the one lever solution. I do like the wireless but it seems like it has a lot of things that need to get developed outside of the batteries.

Last edited by Butchchr; 11-14-15 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-14-15, 11:34 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Fine, but that isn't the point I was addressing.
Can you elaborate on your real point? I clearly missed it.

As for your point, the computer wouldn't be selecting the cadence, you would. The computer would be obeying your choice at whatever power output you felt like exerting at any given time. If you didn't wish to utilize that function, you would deselect it, i.e. turn it off. What's not to like?
My point is that my cadence varies as a function of many things that a computer doesn't know. Accelerating, braking, climbing, sprinting, etc. My point about power was that a computer can't ease up on the power for me so that the shift goes smoothly. I know when I shift so I can be prepared for it. A computer shifting for me could come as a bad surprise if the shift was unexpected. The gain in performance would be nothing (it would be a mere convenience for casual cycling, IMHO) so I see no attraction to automatic shifting.

Automatic shifting in a car allows me to be lazy compared to manual shifting which is convenient in traffic. I can't stand it otherwise. My wife and I share our cars so I no longer daily drive a manual shift car, though.
Old 11-14-15, 12:18 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
The SRAM drive train would look better if the batteries were hidden too.

J.
I don't think the SRAM batteries look any bigger than the DI2 servos. and certainly having no wires and junction box makes the cockpit a lot cleaner with Etap.

Old 11-14-15, 02:48 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by revchuck
I work in an LBS and was curious about this too. QBP has the eTap stuff listed but with zero inventory and shows the end of April as the get-well date.
$1660 for the shifters, derailleurs, and charger.
Old 11-14-15, 02:55 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by joejack951
Can you elaborate on your real point? I clearly missed it.

My point is that my cadence varies as a function of many things that a computer doesn't know. Accelerating, braking, climbing, sprinting, etc. My point about power was that a computer can't ease up on the power for me so that the shift goes smoothly. I know when I shift so I can be prepared for it. A computer shifting for me could come as a bad surprise if the shift was unexpected. The gain in performance would be nothing (it would be a mere convenience for casual cycling, IMHO) so I see no attraction to automatic shifting.

Automatic shifting in a car allows me to be lazy compared to manual shifting which is convenient in traffic. I can't stand it otherwise. My wife and I share our cars so I no longer daily drive a manual shift car, though.
My point was that standard transmissions in autos are nearly extinct in the USA. Only 3.9% of cars sold here had manual transmissions in 2013 including performance cars which were likely the bulk of the sales. Naturally you are entitled to have what you want (as long as it is still offered), but I was just emphasizing how unusual that is these days. Forgive my humor if it fell flat.

As for automatic bike shifting, should it ever be offered, I'm quite certain it would be optional and could be toggled on/off, perhaps from the shift buttons. So the development would not have to inconvenience you while gratifying others. Everyone wins.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-14-15, 02:57 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
$1660 for the shifters, derailleurs, and charger.
That's list? If so, the UK price could be quite affordable. That's the only parts I need. Well not quite, also the cassette and chain. Still...

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-14-15, 04:29 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden Shimano and Campy electronic systems extensively. While I like the theory, I've found them a little fussy, and the look of the Campy battery reminded me of the Ghostbusters backpacks. I loved the smooth, fuss-free shifting. I liked the terminator noise of the servos. And i hated the idea that a bike would be another thing in my life that required a USB port to be plugged in. I tend to forget this stuff.

I have SRAM grossest on my road bikes. I really like the shifting interface.

What I like about this is that SRAM has found a way around all the patents (not easy with the big boys trying to lock up the market) and has come up with genuine innovation. Wireless is compelling, and I love the idea of super clean frames. I also love the idea that this would be very easy to retrofit on a mechanical frame without zip ties and jury-rigged mounts. Tidy, simple.

I'm really unsure about the new shift paradigm. With every system now, left hand is FD and right hand is RD. This changes that, and I suspect would be hard to get my head around. But I'm looking forward to trying it.
Old 11-14-15, 05:27 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by adrien
I've ridden Shimano and Campy electronic systems extensively. While I like the theory, I've found them a little fussy, and the look of the Campy battery reminded me of the Ghostbusters backpacks. I loved the smooth, fuss-free shifting. I liked the terminator noise of the servos. And i hated the idea that a bike would be another thing in my life that required a USB port to be plugged in. I tend to forget this stuff.

I have SRAM grossest on my road bikes. I really like the shifting interface.

What I like about this is that SRAM has found a way around all the patents (not easy with the big boys trying to lock up the market) and has come up with genuine innovation. Wireless is compelling, and I love the idea of super clean frames. I also love the idea that this would be very easy to retrofit on a mechanical frame without zip ties and jury-rigged mounts. Tidy, simple.

I'm really unsure about the new shift paradigm. With every system now, left hand is FD and right hand is RD. This changes that, and I suspect would be hard to get my head around. But I'm looking forward to trying it.
I really like the electronic shifting. Haven't had a missed shift since I got it. It's a winner.

I agree with you that the eTap system is going to be great for retrofitting mechanical only bikes. In fact, that's one of the applications I have for it. I think it would be a great retrofit on my mechanical bike. The Di2 conversion to a mechanical bike is just awful.

Originally Posted by Jakedatc
I don't think the SRAM batteries look any bigger than the DI2 servos. and certainly having no wires and junction box makes the cockpit a lot cleaner with Etap.
I wasn't comparing to Shimano, I was saying that had they removed the battery from the eTap derailleurs, it would have looked a lot better. They had a chance to do that and didn't.

J.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.