Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Ritchey Swiss Cross Build?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 04:14 PM
dkyser

Bikes: 19 Gunnar Hyper-X Ultegra Disk, 17 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

My lbs has a Ritchey Swiss Cross frame in my size on sale, wondering if this could be built up into a good road bike that is a more relaxed geometry?
Ritchey Swiss Cross Disc Frameset | Ritchey

Last edited by dkyser; 03-18-16 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-18-16, 04:49 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by dkyser
My lbs has a Ritchey Swiss Cross frame in my size on sale, wondering if this could be built up into a good touring bike that is a more relaxed geometry?
No, because it lacks eyelets for racks and fenders.
Old 03-18-16, 04:52 PM
dkyser

Bikes: 19 Gunnar Hyper-X Ultegra Disk, 17 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
No, because it lacks eyelets for racks and fenders.
When I said touring should have specified no need for fenders or racks, just looking for a more relaxed geometry. I have an AWOL if I ever want to use as a commute bike.
Looking for a nice steel road bike with a more relaxed geometry.
Old 03-18-16, 08:56 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dkyser
My lbs has a Ritchey Swiss Cross frame in my size on sale, wondering if this could be built up into a good road bike that is a more relaxed geometry?
The version they have is a disc frame?

The answer is yes, a cross bike in many ways can work as an endurance road bike. Shorter top tube, higher stack height, longer wheelbase, plus ability to take fatter tires. I think it'd make a great endurance bike.

That said I have no problem doing centuries on my Road Logic, which has a more "aggressive" geo.
Old 03-18-16, 09:09 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
I use my disc cross bike as my endurance do all terrain/surface type bike. Great bike for sub 25mph riding, aka don't take to club ride unless I want to REALLY work. Can't race a rally car with F1 cars in the bunch
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 03-19-16, 04:41 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swiss Cross is known to be a more noodly steel frame, with inherent flex taking the edge off rough surfaces. I know two folks who are larger (clyde or borderline) who have sold them on because of the frame flex experienced.

Conversely, that may make them extra-comfy.
Old 03-19-16, 06:54 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by adrien
Swiss Cross is known to be a more noodly steel frame, with inherent flex taking the edge off rough surfaces. I know two folks who are larger (clyde or borderline) who have sold them on because of the frame flex experienced.

Conversely, that may make them extra-comfy.
I take it they're significantly different to the Road Logic frames then, because they're not noodly at all.
Old 03-19-16, 07:18 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One Ride Review: Ritchey's Swiss Cross Disc with new Shield tires and EvoMax bar, actual weight - Bikerumor
Old 03-19-16, 10:49 PM
dr_lha

I'm not really seeing your point other than one guy in the comments section?
Old 03-19-16, 11:13 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Hi,

If the frame fits, go for it. As the tag says, I’m an old guy. I use a Ridley CX bike as a fast road bike because it’s a bit more relax and less twitchy than racers. I swapped out the wheels and tires for lighter and narrower ones. These old bones can’t handle stiff comp road bike.

Good luck,
Old 03-20-16, 07:09 AM
adrien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
I'm not really seeing your point other than one guy in the comments section?
I agree that one comment is nothing. What drew my attention to this was the reviewer saying that he experienced some rotor rub, and the bike was plush over the rougher stuff. This tells me that it is less stiff than much of its competition, which is the experience both of my friends had. FWIW, one of them is around 190, the other 170. But they are both racers with super-stiff road bikes.

This factor (frame flex) goes up with rider weight.

So, if you want something with a little plushness to it and don't care about rotor rub or a bit of whippiness when you hammer ti, they are lovely bikes. If those things bug you, it may not be best.
Old 03-20-16, 02:41 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This seems like a positive rather than a negative and 20 lb disc steel bike is nice. My disc steel is 28 lbs. Beefy steel fork and stiff as a mofo on mine though.

"The Swiss Cross Disc is certainly a capable bike for trail riding and fast gravel road exploring. Its smaller diameter tubes lean towards one of the more flexible and forgiving cross bikes we ridden in recent memory. While a couple hours spent off-road on most modern cross bikes leaves us feeling it a bit in the lower back, this one had no such effect. With thin stays and a quick release rear wheel, short out of the saddle efforts resulted in a little bit of rotor drag in the rear. (bolded is likely the cause of rubbing) That’s something we see in almost all steel bikes, and while it can be annoying or at least disconcerting, it never has seemed to be a real performance detriment.

Although it did show that forgiving nature that most steel bikes aim towards, the bike never felt slow. Even after having recently come off of a top notch carbon race bike, the Ritchey still felt decently quick to get up to speed, and never felt sluggish to start. Where it does feel a bit slower is where you are already at speed and try to sprint. It felt like when it was already moving along at a decent clip, it just didn’t want to go much faster very quickly."