Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Oh well Biking Alone Won't Lose Weight.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 11:47 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I have some definitive proof here!

I already lost a lot of weight from biking and dieting and am now a healthy weight.

For the hell of it, I've been riding 3+ hours a day for the last 10 days but just for fun, not to lose weight. I'm riding relatively fast at 15mph and have notched up 460 miles (see https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post18882726)

I was amazed (and sad) to see that before I started, I weight 182 pounds and now I'm 183 pounds! I haven't been eating crap like McDonalds, but I've been eating 3 square meals a day. Breakfast is low calories omelette, but the other meals could be a home made pastrami sandwich. So I'm not binging but I'm not counting calories either.

It's been fun riding this much but I was hoping to get own a few pounds but it looks like I have to diet as well to achieve that.
Old 07-01-16, 11:49 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
182 lbs is a good weight.

Be Happy

Old 07-01-16, 12:12 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
10 days is not a SUPER long time either, there can be some trade off going on between fat and muscle that may show up eventually :-). Some tape measure work might be good to add into your data :-).

Also hydration and........digestive tract contents can have a real impact on gross weight. I get the most consistent numbers first thing in the morning without drinking anything, and after eliminating #2. That is a "dry" weight....we dehydrate while we sleep I seem to remember reading, due to moisture in respiration, but it is a very consistent weight for me. I try to limit myself to ONE package of Pepperoni a week just because I have not found a qty of it I can have in the house and not eat it ALL in one week, but for a day or two after that indulgence all that sodium packs on some water weight.

The human body is a complex thing :-). And gross weight is one of the worst ways to measure it's composition, but it is also one of the EASIEST ways :-).
Old 07-01-16, 02:08 PM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbird
10 days is not a SUPER long time either, there can be some trade off going on between fat and muscle that may show up eventually :-). Some tape measure work might be good to add into your data :-).

Also hydration and........digestive tract contents can have a real impact on gross weight. I get the most consistent numbers first thing in the morning without drinking anything, and after eliminating #2. That is a "dry" weight....we dehydrate while we sleep I seem to remember reading, due to moisture in respiration, but it is a very consistent weight for me. I try to limit myself to ONE package of Pepperoni a week just because I have not found a qty of it I can have in the house and not eat it ALL in one week, but for a day or two after that indulgence all that sodium packs on some water weight.

The human body is a complex thing :-). And gross weight is one of the worst ways to measure it's composition, but it is also one of the EASIEST ways :-).
Err. Thanks for the description!

All weights were first thing in the morning after waking up.
Old 07-01-16, 02:51 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A data set of one, with limitations, is not proof.

The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume, and to do so consistently over time. Most folks (myself included) will tell you exercise won't alone provide weight loss, because you inevitably want more calories. The bit that's truly behind weight loss is...eat better, and critically, eat less.

Finally, bear in mind that the more you ride, the more you will tone your body and gain muscle. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat.

My experience: went from 260 with 25% body fat to 202 with 14% body fat. Did that four years ago. I am currently 212, with 14% body fat. The difference is more muscle, because of the riding.
Old 07-01-16, 03:06 PM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Inpd
Err. Thanks for the description!

All weights were first thing in the morning after waking up.

I have never found a nicer way to say that dropping the kids off at the pool can mean 2 lbs :-)

Bill
Old 07-02-16, 08:36 PM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adrien
A data set of one, with limitations, is not proof.

The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume, and to do so consistently over time. Most folks (myself included) will tell you exercise won't alone provide weight loss, because you inevitably want more calories. The bit that's truly behind weight loss is...eat better, and critically, eat less.
Agreed. I already lost 50+ pounds.

But lets do the math.

460 miles over 10 days.

You burn conservatively approximately 40 calories per mile which means I burnt at least 18,400 calories. Over 10 days that's an extra 1840 calorie I have available to burn each day on top of my regular caloric allowance of 2000. Lets say I only "use" (by eating) half of those. That means I'm at a 920 calorie deficit per day.

Over 10 days thats 9200

To lose a pound of fat you need to burn 3500 calories so I should have lost about 2-3 pounds.
Old 07-02-16, 10:11 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Either your caloric intake is more than you think, or your expenditure on the bike is less than you think. A forty mile ride will burn ~2,000kcal (~1,800kJ, Stages measured) for me, and I'm far less efficient than most. My daily intake is perhaps just north of 3,000 calories a day, and my weight has held steady this way for all of 2016-- because I'm not trying to lose more, and dieting at my current mileage load/pace is risky business.
Old 07-02-16, 10:41 PM
HazeT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3000 miles this year and I gained 14 lbs
Cycling definitely doesn't make up for 4.5 lbs cheese cakes.
Old 07-02-16, 10:52 PM
HazeT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

But lets do the math.

460 miles over 10 days.

You burn conservatively approximately 40 calories per mile which means I burnt at least 18,400 calories. Over 10 days that's an extra 1840 calorie I have available to burn each day on top of my regular caloric allowance of 2000. Lets say I only "use" (by eating) half of those. That means I'm at a 920 calorie deficit per day.

Over 10 days thats 9200

To lose a pound of fat you need to burn 3500 calories so I should have lost about 2-3 pounds.
Where does the "40 calories per mile" comes from?
I recently did a 72 miles ride, my average moving speed was 18.9 mph and I burned 37 cals/mile.
Today I burned over 50 cals per mile, but it was 5000 ft of climbing over 40 miles.

As people said, be careful with the conservatively 40 cals/mile and watch out your intake.
Old 07-02-16, 10:53 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As I said in another thread on here somewhere, ride a day of Z2 intensity then eat a whole pizza (or cheesecakes, as it were,) you're gonna put on some weight.

And OP, as I'm sure you know, it's no as much how much you eat as it is what you eat. If you're wolfing down bags of frozen vegetables and skinless chicken breasts, the weight would still be coming off. Maybe. I dunno. I'm not a human power meter.
Old 07-02-16, 11:39 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbird
This; I'm only down 11 pounds since March, but judging from my suits and belts, a few more pounds have been transferred from squishy gut to firm legs.
Old 07-03-16, 05:57 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I learned the same through trial and error as well.

Cycling is great for overall health. Not that great for weight loss.
Old 07-03-16, 06:01 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You're arguing with basic scientific fact here.

1) If you consume less calories than you burn, you lose weight. 2) If you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight. Now there can be other factors involved in the short term such as water retention or a gut full of poop, but those first two sentences are scientific fact. If you are building muscle, you're probably at a caloric surplus.
Old 07-03-16, 08:19 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

But lets do the math.

460 miles over 10 days.

Over 10 days thats 9200

I only figure 400 calories per hour at best.....and the scale has proven I'm not far off on that. That is 26 calories per mile.

With myfitnesspal set to -2lbs per week and never eating back any the average "extra" for riding 100+ miles a week was about 1/2 lb on average over probably 70 lbs lost, then getting down to the 180 range where I had only 20 or so to go riding 125-150 a week was not touching that final 20 really.
Old 07-03-16, 11:00 AM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But lets do the math.

460 miles over 10 days.

Over 10 days thats 9200

Lots of variables here. First -- do you have an HRM and a power meter? Those will, together, give you much more accurate caloric read. If I ride (at 210) and chill out and coast more than usual (average heart rate say 110), with a weighted average of say 100 watts, I'll burn about 250 calories over 10 miles. If I hammer, run the wattage up to a weighted 210 or so average and the heart average in the 150s, then I'll burn about 480 over the same distance.

Second, you're assuming your caloric intake was exactly the same.

And critically, you're assuming no gain at all in muscle mass, which would offset.
Old 07-03-16, 11:39 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adrien
Lots of variables here. First -- do you have an HRM and a power meter? Those will, together, give you much more accurate caloric read. If I ride (at 210) and chill out and coast more than usual (average heart rate say 110), with a weighted average of say 100 watts, I'll burn about 250 calories over 10 miles. If I hammer, run the wattage up to a weighted 210 or so average and the heart average in the 150s, then I'll burn about 480 over the same distance.

Second, you're assuming your caloric intake was exactly the same.

And critically, you're assuming no gain at all in muscle mass, which would offset.
Agreed......the power meter and HRM adjust for things Strava for example never "knows" about at all, such as an 8mph head wind gusting to 25......which is also highly variable due to terrian and even crops :-). The power meter and HRM would know you were wheel sucking too ;-)....but Strava never would :-).