Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Really?! My shoes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Really?! My shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17, 11:47 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
Really?! My shoes?

Last night we had a righteous storm with hurricane force winds and several inches of rain falling over the course of 6 hours or so. I'm a sound sleeper so it wasn't much of an issue for me but for my wife it's quite another story. She mentioned that the dog got pretty agitated at a couple of points but brushed it off as being storm noise. It wasn't, somebody had gotten into my car looking for valuables. They took about 65 cents in change and my bike shoes. My bike shoes!!WTF!!! What's the point of that? The dumbass left a pair of $200 sunglasses hanging from the rearview mirror.

Thanks for the vent.
Old 10-30-17, 12:23 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ririder
Last night we had a righteous storm with hurricane force winds and several inches of rain falling over the course of 6 hours or so. I'm a sound sleeper so it wasn't much of an issue for me but for my wife it's quite another story. She mentioned that the dog got pretty agitated at a couple of points but brushed it off as being storm noise. It wasn't, somebody had gotten into my car looking for valuables. They took about 65 cents in change and my bike shoes. My bike shoes!!WTF!!! What's the point of that? The dumbass left a pair of $200 sunglasses hanging from the rearview mirror.

Thanks for the vent.
,,,,,sounds like an inside job,,,, obviously someone knows your sleeping habits and knew you were gonna be asleep,,, and it has to be someone with similar foot size and taste for cycling shoes,,,,don't make a big deal about it but do frequent all cycling events in your area and keep an eye out for them ,,,,,then you'll know who your friends are , might be your brother in law ,,,,,,,
Old 10-30-17, 12:31 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Follow Occam's razor principle: no need to invent/involve third parties, when all the usual suspects are right there in front of you. Face it, it might have been your dog who took your shoes. Dogs are pretty fond of shoes for some reason. Sunglasses - not so much.

(Have you been spending too much time riding your bicycle and too little time walking your dog lately?)

Last edited by AndreyT; 10-31-17 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-30-17, 12:35 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
it was obviously a blind person that would have no need for sunglasses
Old 10-30-17, 12:52 PM
ririder

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
it was obviously a blind person that would have no need for sunglasses
A BLIND STOKER!!!! I need to start check out the tandems in the area!!
Old 10-30-17, 12:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Perhaps the thief didn't realize that cycling shoes are most uncomfortable to walk in? SPD? SPD-SL?

With some luck, someone will break into your car tomorrow and leave a pair of cycling shoes for you
Old 10-30-17, 03:45 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I have a different take on this. My theory is that around 1:15 A.M. someone managed to get into your car and stole the right shoe. Then, at 3:35 A.M. a different perp got into your car and stole the left shoe, thus giving the illusion that there was only 1 thief!
Old 10-30-17, 04:29 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
When I was in college I worked nights in the downtown are (Kansas City) in a not so nice part of town. I never had anything of value in my car so I always left it unlocked.
One night after work I get in my car, look over and the passenger window is smashed. Nothing taken but nothing in the car to take. $50 for a new window and a pain in the butt to replace.
Just open the door, fool!! It's unlocked!

Nothing worse than a stupid thief.
Old 10-30-17, 04:34 PM
PortlandEddie

Bikes: Fuji cross

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That **** sucks. Sorry man. They stole it because they think they can sell them for money more than likely for drugs. Now you can get new shiny shoes. Upside...?
Old 10-31-17, 07:13 AM
ririder

Originally Posted by AndreyT
Follow Occam's razor principle: no need to invent/involve third parties, when all the usual suspects are right there in front of you. Face it, it might have been your dog who took your shoes. Dogs are pretty fond of shoes for some reason. Sunglasses - no so much.

(Have you been spending too much time riding your bicycle and too little time walking your dog lately?)
I'll say this. When you die, you want to come back as either a cat or a dog in our house.
Old 10-31-17, 07:20 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I had my house broken into a while ago. They took the usual valuable things, but also some weird stuff like laundry detergent and a bottle of whiskey. They even left the crowbar they used to pry open the window. I wanted to keep it as a small compensation, but the cops took it for evidence.
Old 10-31-17, 07:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
with one of my car thefts, when I got it back, I saw they stole the wiper blades & battery. you just never know
Old 10-31-17, 07:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
I must have left my new car unlocked one night. Someone rifled through the glove compartment but found nothing. They must have been too lazy to check the center compartment for change because it was still there. They also left behind an expensive pair of hiking boots that were covered by a large blanket. What they ended up taking were the all-weather floor mats out of back. Still in the plastic packaging. Maybe they also had a 2017 Subaru Forester and needed some new mats.
Old 10-31-17, 12:01 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
oh man, those are nice mats
Old 10-31-17, 12:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
I had this vision of a guy walking around trying to hawk floor mats to people on the street.

But that wasn't the worst thing that happened to my poor new car. Maybe a couple of months after I brought it home some guy walked through three neighborhoods early one morning randomly smashing car windows. He got one of my rear passenger windows. I didn't even know it for about 24 hrs. All in all, he got over 30 cars. The police caught him. He was apparently psychotic and/or on some drug. By the time I discovered the damage, the SafeLite place closest to my 'hood was all booked up, probably because of all the cars he had jacked up. The next closest place was in New Jersey (I live in Philly). At least my end was only $50.
Old 10-31-17, 01:23 PM
Fastfingaz

Thanks for the vent.
,,,, I don't know,,, I live down here in this city of sin on the gulf coast at the end of the Mississippi river and when we get hurricane force winds and several inches of rain we stay up all night drinking and carrying on waiting for disaster to hit ,,, don't see how you can be sleeping,,,,,,
Old 10-31-17, 02:31 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I must have left my new car unlocked one night. Someone rifled through the glove compartment but found nothing. They must have been too lazy to check the center compartment for change because it was still there. They also left behind an expensive pair of hiking boots that were covered by a large blanket. What they ended up taking were the all-weather floor mats out of back. Still in the plastic packaging. Maybe they also had a 2017 Subaru Forester and needed some new mats.
At least they gave you a trade. They left you the boots they used when burying the axe-murder victim.
Old 10-31-17, 03:08 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I finally have a reason to post this.

Old 10-31-17, 03:20 PM
caffein8ed

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 306 Posts
A BLIND STOKER!!!! I need to start check out the tandems in the area!!
Blind Stoker? Isn't he the guy who wrote Dracula?

Old 10-31-17, 03:40 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I had this vision of a guy walking around trying to hawk floor mats to people on the street.

But that wasn't the worst thing that happened to my poor new car. Maybe a couple of months after I brought it home some guy walked through three neighborhoods early one morning randomly smashing car windows. He got one of my rear passenger windows. I didn't even know it for about 24 hrs. All in all, he got over 30 cars. The police caught him. He was apparently psychotic and/or on some drug. By the time I discovered the damage, the SafeLite place closest to my 'hood was all booked up, probably because of all the cars he had jacked up. The next closest place was in New Jersey (I live in Philly). At least my end was only $50.
Maybe the vandalizer was hired by SafeLite repair. I guess good thing he wasn't working for the local morgue.
Old 10-31-17, 03:48 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
People that steal are not very bright.
Old 10-31-17, 04:18 PM
rachel120

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
,,,, I don't know,,, I live down here in this city of sin on the gulf coast at the end of the Mississippi river and when we get hurricane force winds and several inches of rain we stay up all night drinking and carrying on waiting for disaster to hit ,,, don't see how you can be sleeping,,,,,,
I slept through Isabel. The pre-hurricane prep wore me out, and without power plus the clouds dimming down the daylight there was nothing else to do.

Until the tree trunk broke. That crash woke us all up. It fell parallel to the wall, within a foot, damaged a bit of the overhang. Had it fallen just inches to the left my mother in law would have been squished.
Old 10-31-17, 04:46 PM
Fastfingaz

Well I guess I'm glad to hear that ,,,, so the trade off was tremendous,,,, you lost your shoes but you still got mama in law,,,,,
Old 10-31-17, 05:05 PM
rachel120

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
Well I guess I'm glad to hear that ,,,, so the trade off was tremendous,,,, you lost your shoes but you still got mama in law,,,,,
I'm not the OP. I have no idea which hurricane he slept through. I'm just saying sleeping through a hurricane is easily done.
Old 10-31-17, 05:28 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
They took about 65 cents in change and my bike shoes. My bike shoes!!WTF!!! What's the point of that? The dumbass left a pair of $200 sunglasses hanging from the rearview mirror.
Prolly stole a bike from someone's garage, went to go for a spin, and realized that it didn't even have normal pedals!

Also: I slept through a fire alarm in college. Not a drill - like the actual alarm, in the middle of the night, when everybody has to get up and go outside in their jammies. Except for me, because I was sleeping.

I told my dad about it and he was like, "Oh yeah? Well I slept through a ballistic attack in Vietnam!"

Some of us take that sleeping thing seriously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.