Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Power & Fatigue

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 01:31 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 160 Posts
Power & Fatigue

My power vs rpe has been off this week, everything feels harder than it should. Heart rate has been slightly lower than normal as well, but after a few rest days HR is higher / normal but still have the feeling that my RPE is higher than it should be for any given effort.

To compound things, I’m at the very end of a 4+ week block where I expected some fatigue to set in, but I also just updated my power meter firmware (giant power pro) and it changed my R/L power balance by 5% so I’m wondering if that’s part of the issue if not *the* issue, and I haven’t lost any power at all.

To top that off, my average speed is .4-.5 mph faster on the same routes with the same average power, so im leaning towards power meter but it’s hard to say! Also heat index is 20+ degrees warmer than the past few weeks, so there’s that too!

Am I overthinking this? Lol
Old 06-15-23, 01:44 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
the firmware bit would have me a bit confused... but ya, there's like at least a few things going on there haha
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-15-23, 02:00 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
are you sure your PM / head unit are correctly using both sides post update?

i had a few rides that seemed incredibly hard and it was my PM was just doubling my left power (acting as a single side) and my balance is about 45/55. so it was basically reading 90%.
Old 06-16-23, 08:27 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 160 Posts
I had such a bad week of riding I almost didn’t ride today, but I’m glad I did. Swapped over to the assiomas, and everything felt great. Rpe was where it should be, and I did a few sprints at near max power and the legs felt great and I put up record power for year. That said my body overall feels better than it has all week, and I think I may have been fighting something, but I also think the giant power meter is reading much lower than it was before I updated firmware. 300 watts felt like a vo2 effort this week, where I had just put up like 340w for 15 mins the week before. Crazy.
Old 06-19-23, 04:25 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
You are over thinking it. Morning resting HR, what you can max on HR and maybe a good hill climb will tell you a lot.