Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How best to lift handlebars ...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How best to lift handlebars ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-23, 06:08 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Bend the knees, arch the back. Lift with care. After a certain age, anything below table-top level becomes a serious lift, as in, I could seriously tweak my back or some odd muscle picking that up off the floor.
The SNL Hercules thing...
Old 12-28-23, 10:45 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Maybe one of these options from Velo Orange? But not for carbon steerer tubes and make sure that installation is per spec.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...cts/cigne-stem

70 or 90 mm length available

Or,

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...py-stem-31-8mm

45 degrees - 90 or 110 mm length available

Old 12-28-23, 10:51 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I saw a guy once who had 6-8 inches of extra rise by clamping, literally, a pipe to the top of his steerer tube. This would be functionally the same but a little more elegant.

https://hostelshoppe.com/cdn/shop/pr...g?v=1577836859
Old 12-28-23, 05:55 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Some combo of stem and riser bar will get you where you want to be. 2" risers are very common. And getting another 1" fro a stem is pretty easy to do.

IMO, People who need bikes with shorter reaches and longer stacks (like me) are better off going with the correct reach and using spacers/stem/riser bar to get the stack right.

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-28-23 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-29-23, 04:01 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Frkl
In all seriousness, and even with all the technical workarounds, handlebar height is such an important aspect of fit, that I am having difficulty with the idea that the bike can fit well "except for the height of the handle bars" as you wrote.
^ Agreed. The bike simply doesn't fit. An adjustable stem might make the fit "less bad", but I would not recommend it as a "solution".
Old 12-29-23, 04:48 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Bend the knees, arch the back. Lift with care. After a certain age, anything below table-top level becomes a serious lift, as in, I could seriously tweak my back or some odd muscle picking that up off the floor.
I purposely, and with difficulty, refrained from saying this. After a certain age, one needs a back up plan, how is one going to get back up after kneeling, stooping, crouching, etc.
Old 12-30-23, 02:45 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Sorry if I missed this in a prior post, but just flipping the stem on this bike would bring the bars up and back a significant amount.

Otto
Does flipping the stem ever cause issues with how the bike rides? The longer the stem, the more it rides different if flipped?
Old 12-30-23, 05:09 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Does flipping the stem ever cause issues with how the bike rides? The longer the stem, the more it rides different if flipped?
I never noticed a change in handling from flipping the stem. I'm sure there's a change in the physics but it wasn't noticeable.

Big changes in stem length, that I've noticed.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 12-31-23, 09:16 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
It shouldn’t. It raises the stem (assuming it’s angled relative to perpendicular) along the steering axis and keeps all the steering points in the same relation to the steering axis.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 12-31-23 at 09:20 AM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 01-02-24, 08:10 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
I'm certainly not as conversant with the techniques and consequences of changing a bike's bar height as the above contributors, but if I were in your situation, I would be tempted to wait a bit on changes. You say you are getting back into riding after a longish layoff, perhaps as you start riding more, you will become more flexible.
My chicken or the egg version of this:
When I got back on a bike, I HAD to raise the HB height so I could ride comfortably. It took about 5 months of regular riding before the combo of improved flexibility and core strength took hold and I could revert to roadie-height bars. I probably spent $75 on riser bars, brake levers and cables, but the higher bars had to come first.