Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fred Encounters of the third kind

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fred Encounters of the third kind

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 10:12 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
I leave them in the car until I check in. Also I try to see if there's any bagels or cookies left over from breakfast.
Old 09-30-08, 10:12 AM
Durward_Kirby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Because I couldn't figure out how to open the window of the hotel room from the outside? It's a freakin' bike. Just like bringing your bags in when you check in (which I also had with me).
The proles are rising up to swat you down.
Old 09-30-08, 10:20 AM
Foofy
Ha ha HA! Me likey bikey!

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love this thread. And I freaking want a Cervelo. Beautiful machines.
Old 09-30-08, 10:45 AM
Bantam

Bikes: Trek 1500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markwebb
You might also continue to do your research and due diligence and note the physical disabilities I suffer from like the spinal cord tumor and para paresis (sp?) of lower extremeties which eliminated any ability to continue to race, or how I did race at a high level back in the day when everyone rode steel and 5 in back/ 1 in front was all we had. So I continue to search for a ride that is comfortable enough for me to ride and allows me to keep my feet in pedals even though I can't turn my ankles enough to use clipless. Try my posts on recumbents when I was researching them as an alternative to allow me to keep riding.
It's all there in my posts.

BTW, look up Darren Kenny from Great Britain. He was an up and coming racer dack in the day but suffered brain injury in a crash. He won gold in Beijing in multiple events but the most impressive was his 1:08 Kilo. The dude can hardly walk but he throws down on a bicycle.
Oh man, this really burns me up. (I know I'm late).

I spent all of last week at the OTC in Colo Springs with a group of disabled cyclists and I didn't hear any of this sort of whining. There were a few guys on regular bikes, one is a former Marine that lost his leg in Iraq, one guy has an SCI, and one has Cerebral Palsy. The blind riders rode on tandems as stokers. The racers in wheelchairs rode handcycles. Most of the riders there race and several have aspirations of racing at Para Worls and the Paralympics. Those that are able enough race regular USA Cycling races.
But none of them were as much of a whiney little ***** as you are.

Last edited by Bantam; 09-30-08 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-30-08, 11:02 AM
SKYLAB
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
At least someone got something out of this thread.
the sheer beauty of chipcom once again dazzles.
Hard to believe this thread is still going. I ALWAYS bring my bike into the lobby during or shortly after I check in. Stunned that folks have jumped on the Doc about this. Then again, its BF eh?
You need to stop feeding the trolls Dr. Pete.
Old 09-30-08, 11:09 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mark's posts do have a lot of venom if not contempt although I do side with him a bit that the good doctor was posing in the lobby with his flashy bike and most see it that way as well and then putting the guy down who didn't recognize all the logos and have due reverence for his rolling billboard. Mark I am sorry you have had a tough go of it physically but there are others much worse off. The spirit of this thread is supposed to be fun and should be kept in that mood. To that end...I get the fact that Doc didn't want to leave the bike on his car...makes sense to me but generally if you pull up in front of any hotel where you off load suitcases, nobody is going to strip the bike off his car.
What a lot of you guys don't know is I talked to others on that ride that were at the hotel and Dr. Pete not only rolled his unit...I mean Cervelo into the lobby for all to adore but he was also donning a red and white matching thong while doing so. Some may consider that over the top and I think that is the real reason the guy coined as a Fred didn't notice all the advertising on Doc's bike.
Old 09-30-08, 12:06 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Psyclist
I think the real Fred here is the guy who laid that Bianchi down on its right side...for shame!

That's my San Jose singlespeed. I use it as my commuter bike and on rides with She Who Must Be Obeyed. Very versatile bike.
Old 09-30-08, 12:06 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Mark's posts do have a lot of venom if not contempt although I do side with him a bit that the good doctor was posing in the lobby with his flashy bike and most see it that way as well and then putting the guy down who didn't recognize all the logos and have due reverence for his rolling billboard. Mark I am sorry you have had a tough go of it physically but there are others much worse off. The spirit of this thread is supposed to be fun and should be kept in that mood. To that end...I get the fact that Doc didn't want to leave the bike on his car...makes sense to me but generally if you pull up in front of any hotel where you off load suitcases, nobody is going to strip the bike off his car.
What a lot of you guys don't know is I talked to others on that ride that were at the hotel and Dr. Pete not only rolled his unit...I mean Cervelo into the lobby for all to adore but he was also donning a red and white matching thong while doing so. Some may consider that over the top and I think that is the real reason the guy coined as a Fred didn't notice all the advertising on Doc's bike.
I mean, I spent about 2 whole minutes in the lobby. I was tired and didn't want to make a second trip to my car. And even if I had, I would've had to go--GASP--through the lobby with my bike to get to my room. What an effing crime.

Trust me--had I been wearing a thong nobody would've been asking about my bike--they would've been too busy laughing at me.
Old 09-30-08, 12:10 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SKYLAB
You need to stop feeding the trolls Dr. Pete.
At first it was annoying. Now it's actually a little sad that people are spending this much time deciding whether it was OK for me to bring my bike through a hotel lobby, which set up the horribly elitist scenario of another cyclist asking a dumb question about it.

I'm still wondering how this thread would've played out if it had just been my CAAD8--also covered with decals--and the guy had asked the same question.
Old 09-30-08, 12:16 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm still wondering how this thread would've played out if it had just been my CAAD8--also covered with decals--and the guy had asked the same question.
Rhetorically...not nearly as much flap would have ensued. Of course you never would have rolled your CAAD8 into the lobby due to lack of poser points and the guy wouldn't have been Fred fodder because he wouldn't have noticed a flashy bike. Never lose sight of the fact that all that responded to this thread with any anamous are simply jealous...again...perhaps your subconscious intent. I don't believe you if you are surprised...after all this is BF.
Old 09-30-08, 12:20 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Rhetorically...not nearly as much flap would have ensued. Of course you never would have rolled your CAAD8 into the lobby due to lack of poser points and the guy wouldn't have been Fred fodder because he wouldn't have noticed a flashy bike. Never lose sight of the fact that all that responded to this thread with any anamous are simply jealous...again...perhaps your subconscious intent. I don't believe you if you are surprised...after all this is BF.
I guess I'm not surprised about the jealousy/animosity per se, but the degree of ridiculousness was surprising, even for BF.
Old 09-30-08, 12:22 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Nothing is surprising in BF....nothing.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-30-08, 12:23 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'm asking my wife for a kickstand for Xmas.
Old 09-30-08, 12:29 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I'm asking my wife for a kickstand for Xmas.
Is that for you or the bike ?

And can you get one in carbon fiber ?
Old 09-30-08, 12:54 PM
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
10 pages and 240 posts later we've learned that hotels have lobbies, some people can't read, some people don't like when that is pointed out, Cervelo is a bike, BF participants enjoy attention, and Fred is everywhere.
Old 09-30-08, 01:18 PM
Durward_Kirby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-30-08, 01:46 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts

Holy spacers batman!
Old 09-30-08, 02:33 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Speaking of stacked...never leave home without one of these.

Last edited by Campag4life; 09-30-08 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 02:39 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not whining, man. Read for comprehension. Some folks didn't like what I was posting here, so they went off and researched my past posts on other threads. They dug up some and used them out of context. They were trying to build a straw man - insinuating that while I was putting down those riders sporting what someone else termed "elitist' bicycles, on another thread I was acting like an elitist by my criteria for selecting a new bike. I was merely pointing out that they should conduct proper due diligence and research and discover that I was not interested in a higher-end steel or ti bike for myself that might cost a little more just so I could have an "elitist" bike, but that I had some physical problems that required me to search for a very comfortable one with some special attributes, and I wasn't interested in a bike made in Taiwan - not because I was an elitist - but because I also wanted to wisely spend my money and buy a quality bike, and I did not think bikes made in Taiwan were of the same high quality as other bikes. That's all. No whining. Just encouraging anyone so interested in me to do the proper research and find out my motivations for buying a bike.

So am I still a whiney little *** ??? Are u still burned up?

Originally Posted by Bantam
Oh man, this really burns me up. (I know I'm late).

I spent all of last week at the OTC in Colo Springs with a group of disabled cyclists and I didn't hear any of this sort of whining. There were a few guys on regular bikes, one is a former Marine that lost his leg in Iraq, one guy has an SCI, and one has Cerebral Palsy. The blind riders rode on tandems as stokers. The racers in wheelchairs rode handcycles. Most of the riders there race and several have aspirations of racing at Para Worls and the Paralympics. Those that are able enough race regular USA Cycling races.
But none of them were as much of a whiney little ***** as you are.
Old 09-30-08, 02:44 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I had some physical problems that required me to search for a very comfortable one with some special attributes, and I wasn't interested in a bike made in Taiwan - not because I was an elitist - but because I also wanted to wisely spend my money and buy a quality bike, and I did not think bikes made in Taiwan were of the same high quality as other bikes.
You should pick up a Cervelo RS. Very comfortable ride, relaxed geometry, and not made in Taiwan.
Old 09-30-08, 02:45 PM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm still wondering how this thread would've played out if it had just been my HUFFY--also covered with decals--and the guy had asked the same question.
hmmm
Waterford R2200, Campy Chorus/Super Record Cobaltobrakes
Motobecane Tandem - Craigslist find
Belgium Bertin. an angel spared it and sent it my way.
Fuji Folding 4130 Mountain bike - Marlboro edition trash find
Specialized HR -A1, latest trash find (who throws bikes out??!!)
Old 09-30-08, 02:53 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KirkeIsWaiting
hmmm
Even better--but I don't own a Huffy.
Old 09-30-08, 02:57 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not whining, man. Read for comprehension. Some folks didn't like what I was posting here, so they went off and researched my past posts on other threads. They dug up some and used them out of context. They were trying to build a straw man - insinuating that while I was putting down those riders sporting what someone else termed "elitist' bicycles, on another thread I was acting like an elitist by my criteria for selecting a new bike. I was merely pointing out that they should conduct proper due diligence and research and discover that I was not interested in a higher-end steel or ti bike for myself that might cost a little more just so I could have an "elitist" bike, but that I had some physical problems that required me to search for a very comfortable one with some special attributes, and I wasn't interested in a bike made in Taiwan - not because I was an elitist - but because I also wanted to wisely spend my money and buy a quality bike, and I did not think bikes made in Taiwan were of the same high quality as other bikes. That's all. No whining. Just encouraging anyone so interested in me to do the proper research and find out my motivations for buying a bike.

So am I still a whiney little *** ??? Are u still burned up?
I think you have put all doubts to rest quite nicely, thank you.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-30-08, 03:00 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that's funny I like it.

Now.....don't take this the wrong way Doc because it seems we're actually making progress and coming to a peaceful conclusion.....but none of us would been 240 responses and counting into this had you not started this thread and named it Fred Encounters of the Third Kind and not written it to sorta mock the charity riders:

* Freds
* Fred Encounters of the Third Kind
* ...some 2 day charity ride
* the charity rider behind me
* gawking at my bike

Had you written it something like.... so this other rider comes up to me and asks what kind of bike I'm riding, and it's a Cervelo with like a zillion Cervelo decals on it....... and left out the context of the Freds and charity riders and hotel lobby checking in and gawking then it would have been a funny thread and received just a few responses.

Us Freds have to stick together. You mess with one Fred charity rider you're messing with us all, even though I have not yet progrssed past the first Fred checkpoint. I still only have 2 tubes and one flashing light. Remember - all cyclists are evolving (or devolving) into Fredness. It's only a matter of time. So you better get in touch with your inner Fredness and quit dissin' us, 'cause soon you'll be joining us

About those Cervelos...I think they are carbon fiber. I don't trust myself with a plastic carbon bike. I need steel or Ti. I'm afraid I'd mess up a carbon frame by dropping it, wrecking it while riding it, or screwing it up while wrenching it in my basement.

You should pick up a Cervelo RS. Very comfortable ride, relaxed geometry, and not made in Taiwan.
Old 09-30-08, 03:11 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Us Freds have to stick together. You mess with one Fred charity rider you're messing with us all, even though I have not yet progrssed past the first Fred checkpoint.
What makes you think you've even reached Fred status? You have to get through the apprenticeship first, which we call the Dick phase. To your credit, you've been a fine Dick so far in this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.