Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

A goal of my girlfriend...

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

A goal of my girlfriend...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 01:11 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jcwitte
She has said that she supports Barack Obama and one thing she really likes about him is his desire to find alternative energy sources. I point out that these luxury cars get horrible gas mileage and she said that even though she believes in alternative fuel and being resourceful, she'd be willing to "compromise" those values for that lifestyle.
After being in politics for years that pretty much sums up the typical liberal. They can talk the talk but can't walk the walk. I give you credit for sticking to your values.

I tell myself it is just a minor difference about a material possession and our relationship is more than that.
Ahh to be young and in love. You'll grow old and cynical I'm afraid to say. Better to find a nice piece of {fil in the blank} with similar values to your own. She aint gonna change and she's telling you as much.
Old 12-18-08, 01:25 PM
mackerel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Ahh to be young and in love. You'll grow old and cynical I'm afraid to say.
old + cynicism = wisdom
Old 12-18-08, 02:25 PM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm with the old + cynical crowd - although, I'm not saying "leave her" outright.

I would however look at the relationship and your respective values very seriously. If she wants outwardly flashy things, like a Bently, and is not willing to compromise on that, and you are dead set against such things - you've got a problem.

If you're willing to compromise and say basically, alright, you want a Bently and can afford it yourself - have fun. Or, she's willing to say, hey, I'm not that hung up on the Bently, I can see what you're trying to do with the car-free ideal... Maybe you can work things out.

There's no rule saying you have to always agree on everything with your partner in life. There's also no rule that you have to provide them Bently's just because they want them. If she's dead set on an expensive car, rather a utilitarian one... Well, given that you're a cyclist and trying to live car-free, you're not just out of sync on transportation values, you're out of sync in life values as well.

I live car free, but my girlfriend has her license and does drive her mom's car sometimes. I'm perfectly ok with that. I even don't mind the odd time-saving ride in the car. Car-free takes a level of sacrificing convenience that not everyone is ready to make all the time, and given the proliferation of car culture in North America, one has to assume the average person they meet is dependent on a car because they weren't ever raised or taught any different.

Most of us (I assume, since we sought out a forum for it...) where not thrust-upon in a car-free situation, it's a conscious choice.

From your side of things, you need to make sure your girlfriend realizes that you'd rather put some extra effort into getting around while improving your health and minimizing environmental impact (or whatever values drove you to riding as your primary locomotion) rather than just doing it because you're unable to finance a car.

Sad to say, I'm leaning towards the camp that says "run!" because she doesn't just want a car. She wants a status car. This seems to indicate that she's putting the bling over the purpose of the machine in the first place, and you on your bicycle (no matter how fit and muscular it's gonna make you... ) is not gonna satiate that desire.

Maybe you should hit the cycle paths in some spandex and see who you can meet that way.

Last edited by Novakane; 12-18-08 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-18-08, 02:45 PM
kylejack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me just reiterate that the cheapest Bentley is $150,000! She's certainly not going to let you mount a bike rack on a car that costs more than many homes. Thankfully she'll probably never ever buy a Bentley.
Old 12-18-08, 03:27 PM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kylejack
Let me just reiterate that the cheapest Bentley is $150,000! She's certainly not going to let you mount a bike rack on a car that costs more than many homes. Thankfully she'll probably never ever buy a Bentley.
Yeah, there's that too. It's easy to say that she'll probably never get her Bently, but it'd be a vast mistake to tell her that! Nobody likes having their dreams (realistic or not) shot down, especially by their significant other.

In the long run, this seems like the relationship has passed the honeymoon phase, and the participants are starting to examine if this is something they want to continue. It's a tough choice, for sure, because deciding to end a relationship is ending a certain level of emotional security.

I think it comes down to this: Is having a Bently her goal of being with you? Does she expect you to contribute towards something you don't believe in? Is this a make-or-break issue for either of you?

If she's alright with getting a Bently by her own merit, well, power to her, and hey - you get to get a ride in a very coveted car (maybe it really is a sweet ride... who knows?). She's got a goal and if you really want to be with her, you'll support her, as you can, towards her goals. If that means compromising your personal values in a way you're not comfortable with, sad to say, the relationship probably won't work out.

If you can honestly say to her (and yourself) that - yeah, she wants a Bently, alright - but, I've these particular reasons against having one. If those reasons means that you feel you can't be with someone owning a Bently and spending all that money one - seriously, she's probably not "the one". If it just means that you wouldn't drive around in one, but you're ok with her doing so... Then maybe you can work something out.
Old 12-19-08, 08:48 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mackerel
old + cynicism = wisdom
LOL, well I guess I never looked at it that way. You must be over 50 too.
Old 12-22-08, 10:20 AM
pwhallon

Bikes: 2009 Novara Safari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are you on DOPE !!

Originally Posted by cs1
After being in politics for years that pretty much sums up the typical liberal. They can talk the talk but can't walk the walk. I give you credit for sticking to your values.

I want what your smokin man.

Why is it that us "stinking liberals" are always called in to clean up the messes the Republicans make. You know, little issues like, freedom of speech, privacy, environment, education, opportunity, BUDGET..etc.

Oh yea, I am 49.5.

pw
Old 12-22-08, 10:42 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pwhallon
I want what your smokin man.

Why is it that us "stinking liberals" are always called in to clean up the messes the Republicans make. You know, little issues like, freedom of speech, privacy, environment, education, opportunity, BUDGET..etc.

Oh yea, I am 49.5.

pw
Let's please back away from the politics before the Moderators become involved. Thank you for your Co-operation!
Old 12-30-08, 01:57 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
She has said that she supports Barack Obama and one thing she really likes about him is his desire to find alternative energy sources. I point out that these luxury cars get horrible gas mileage and she said that even though she believes in alternative fuel and being resourceful, she'd be willing to "compromise" those values for that lifestyle.
Tell her she can have a Bentley if she wants one, but she'll have to pay for it herself. That will probably mean the end of the relationship, but so be it. You may well be better off without her. On the other hand, she might just be testing to see whether you'll really stick to your guns on this issue, meaning that she may actually respect you more for it. You just need to make your decision now and stick to it.

People who are really hung up on material things like this have a tendency to never be satisfied, even when they get the very thing they covet. When someone assumes some possession is going to make them happy or make their life complete (things that can only come from within), they idealise the gaining of that possession to such an extent that the reality of having it can only result in disappointment. Inevitably this leads to the pursuit of the next material possession in the chain, because now that has to be "the one". I think this is why so many people who win lotteries end up broke again within two years.

If this is the prospect you're facing with this girl, you need to find out and deal with it now. It's better a small hurt now than a wasted life.

That is all.
Old 12-30-08, 02:08 PM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ex husband bought a Hummer after our divorce.
I think I bought new Deep V's for the Peugeot.
go figure ...
Waterford R2200, Campy Chorus/Super Record Cobaltobrakes
Motobecane Tandem - Craigslist find
Belgium Bertin. an angel spared it and sent it my way.
Fuji Folding 4130 Mountain bike - Marlboro edition trash find
Specialized HR -A1, latest trash find (who throws bikes out??!!)

Last edited by KirkeIsWaiting; 12-30-08 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-30-08, 02:09 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I know about ex's. The OP needs to make her one fast.
Old 12-30-08, 03:17 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KirkeIsWaiting
My ex husband bought a Hummer after our divorce.
I think I bought new Deep V's for the Peugeot.
go figure ...

otherwise, please let this thread die already
Old 01-20-09, 03:06 PM
Commuter76

Bikes: 2000 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not just yet. Sorry.

If I read correctly, she is willing to work toward her goal and doesn't expect you to buy her stuff. Did I also read correctly that she is supportive of your living a car-free lifestyle? If this is correct, then it may be that she was upset with your essentially saying that her goal is stupid. Nobody likes to have someone say that about their goals (even if most people would agree).

Now, one last thing. If she is into the "conspicuous consumption" sort of lifestyle and you are not, you two will have problems later on. I have been married for 11 years now and my wife was a big consumer when we married. I didn't really have any ideals when we married because I was young and my ideals were malleable. However, in the past 11 years my ideals have changed and I have become environmentally conscious and fiscally prudent. My wife has also become more fiscally prudent, but mostly because I dragged her along. This transition was not pleasant and I'm still not always sure we're going to stay married forever. If your lifestyles are in conflict, I would suggest you don't take your relationship any further. Even if she doesn't ask you to change your lifestyle, the conflict in the way you both live WILL become an issue.
Old 01-21-09, 12:53 PM
raevyn

Bikes: Electra townie 21, electic conversion kit, Dahon folder ,Customized Nashiki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking as a girl who actually used to want the shiney stuff, I started dating a guy who wanted to love car and home free. I thought he was insane, but I supported his dreams, as I loved him quite a bit. In doing so, those dreams started making sense to me, and now, I am living the car free lifestyle. unfortunately, the relationship didnt work out, however he is one of my best freinds now, and an environmental role model to myself.

If she really cares for you, just give her some time to understand your ideal, and why you believe in them. maybe after time, she will grow on those ideals. who knows?
Old 12-01-15, 10:01 PM
jcwitte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I thought a little update would be in order...

My girlfriend and I were married a little over a year after the initial post. I still have my 1974 Schwinn Le Tour fixie though it hangs in the garage pretty much untouched. The last time I road it was on the way home from the wine shop we opened together when the handle bars snapped and I tumbled to the road and began a three month bout of horrible back pain. That was about 5 years ago.

She has yet to purchase her Bentley and I suspect she never will considering we have at least two college educations to pay for within the next 16-18 years.

Anyway, turns out we were and are beyond compatible and this post from 7 years ago makes us both laugh at least once every year and a half.
Old 12-01-15, 11:41 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Ahh well it's good to hear the happiness of years past. A toast to you and your lovely wife!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 12-01-15, 11:55 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Hope she wants the convertible . . .
License plates for the year will be as much as buying a new Priius!
Old 12-02-15, 12:56 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

My girlfriend and I were married a little over a year after the initial post. I still have my 1974 Schwinn Le Tour fixie though it hangs in the garage pretty much untouched. The last time I road it was on the way home from the wine shop we opened together when the handle bars snapped and I tumbled to the road and began a three month bout of horrible back pain. That was about 5 years ago.

She has yet to purchase her Bentley and I suspect she never will considering we have at least two college educations to pay for within the next 16-18 years.

Anyway, turns out we were and are beyond compatible and this post from 7 years ago makes us both laugh at least once every year and a half.
Have you given up on cycling? How do you get around?
Old 12-02-15, 01:19 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

How sweet! And for now, the two tax deductions outweigh the tuition expenses.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-03-15, 02:17 PM
jcwitte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Have you given up on cycling? How do you get around?
I have not given up on cycling.... but unfortunately we do use the car frequently. We are in the suburbs and I am now a stay at home dad. When we lived in the city, we never used the car even with the little one. Now I am a stay at home dad with two kids and we have a vehicle and use it regularly. My hat is off to parents who can do it with more than one kid.

The city (Chicago) definitely enabled or possibly even required a car free lifestyle for us. The suburbs, not so much. Or at least the house we live in with it's walk score of 2, yes 2, is not nearly as bicycle friendly as our old stomping grounds. It does have its benefits, though not where the bicycle is concerned. I do believe we will move in five to 10 years or so and though we won't likey be back to the city, I will make sure we are going somewhere that allows/encourages utility cycling a little more.
Old 12-03-15, 03:08 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I have not given up on cycling.... but unfortunately we do use the car frequently. We are in the suburbs and I am now a stay at home dad. When we lived in the city, we never used the car even with the little one. Now I am a stay at home dad with two kids and we have a vehicle and use it regularly. My hat is off to parents who can do it with more than one kid.

The city (Chicago) definitely enabled or possibly even required a car free lifestyle for us. The suburbs, not so much. Or at least the house we live in with it's walk score of 2, yes 2, is not nearly as bicycle friendly as our old stomping grounds. It does have its benefits, though not where the bicycle is concerned. I do believe we will move in five to 10 years or so and though we won't likey be back to the city, I will make sure we are going somewhere that allows/encourages utility cycling a little more.
No need to apologize because practicality typically trumps idealolgy when you become a parent.
Old 12-03-15, 04:10 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I'm pretty sure there are suburbs in Chicagoland that would make for good carfree living with any number of kids. Good luck finding one when you're ready.

"Think Outside the Cage"