Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Litespeed Prices...Explain

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 08:30 PM
astonmartinag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I've started to consider going with one of the litespeed's, but that's not what I'm talking about. My question is, why is the re-sale value on these bikes so low. I've found several offers on craigslist and ebay (the buy now's) for these bikes, used...3k less than what they originally went for. For example, a litespeed classic w/ full DA and 2 sets of mavics for 1,200. If your lucky, you might be able to find a higher level cervelo used for 1-1.5k off. Since I dont re-sell my bikes, i honestly could give a **** about it...in fact, it only makes me happier because its that much cheaper to buy. I've even found used cannondale's and treks, to have a smaller depreciation. The only thing I can think of is the "carbon age?"
Old 09-24-08, 08:33 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Ti frames are pretty durable, might be a good idea to purchase used if they are cheap in your area.
Old 09-24-08, 08:34 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
the bikes originally didn't sell for MSRP...
Old 09-24-08, 08:36 PM
merlin55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Correcto mundo. Ti frames are 3 years out of fashion. Carbon is the new black. LOL, if you like the ride of the bike, or are short of funds, they can be a great deal. Some of the Ti bikes ride like steel, but are lighter, and THEY DON RUST. enjoy
Old 09-24-08, 08:42 PM
El Pelon
dia por dia

Bikes: hand built fixie, Lightspeed Sienna D/A

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlin55
Correcto mundo. Ti frames are 3 years out of fashion. Carbon is the new black. LOL, if you like the ride of the bike, or are short of funds, they can be a great deal. Some of the Ti bikes ride like steel, but are lighter, and THEY DON RUST. enjoy
I ride an '04 Litespeed Sienna. It has carbon seat stays (which they moved away from . . . newer models are pure Ti), and it is a very well put together bike. Stiff enough for climbs, and dampens out the rough stuff pretty well. It is also very light. However, I don't know if Ti would be that great for a bigger rider. I am only 5'4", and for me, almost ANY frame is stiff. My guess is the larger frames might be a bit more flexible.
Old 09-24-08, 09:57 PM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Lynskey Sportive, Lynskey GR 270,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by El Pelon
I ride an '04 Litespeed Sienna. It has carbon seat stays (which they moved away from . . . newer models are pure Ti), and it is a very well put together bike. Stiff enough for climbs, and dampens out the rough stuff pretty well. It is also very light. However, I don't know if Ti would be that great for a bigger rider. I am only 5'4", and for me, almost ANY frame is stiff. My guess is the larger frames might be a bit more flexible.

Your guess would be incorrect. I have an 06 57cm Tuscany, an 08 Icon in large and an 03 57cm Ultimate. All of these bikes are plenty stiff for me and I am 5'11" and 195 lbs. I am a sprinter type and any one of these frames is plenty stiff for the criteriums I usually ride. The Icon is one of the best frames I have ever ridden and I have ridden a lot of bikes since 1980.

This myth that ti is flexible is a holdover from the days when they built ti bikes with skinny round tubes to mimic steel bikes. The large diameter and swaged tubing used today can produce a frame as stiff as just about anyone would need. Few would say that today's aluminum bikes are flexy but if you ever saw a Vitus al frame from the early 80s you would know the definition of frame flex. The same could be said for the early carbon frames. Again, they tried to mimic the looks of steel bikes and used small diameter tubes. As you would expect, they lacked in the stiffness department.

Titanium is just not the "hot" frame material out there right now because it will weigh a bit more than a carbon or aluminum frame of similar size and stiffness. As much as I weigh, a pound or so of frame weight is not holding me back in the least. I appreciate ti for the steel like ride, ease of maintenance and durability. I'm OK with them being a little bit heavier. They are still four pounds lighter than my Eddy Merckx MX Leader built with Columbus MXL tubing and that is one of the sweetest riding bikes to ever grace the tarmac.
Old 09-24-08, 10:01 PM
DasProfezzional
No cud for foil.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy ti.
Old 09-24-08, 10:19 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
1) Ti frames are no longer trendy. It's all about carbon now.

2) When you get that high end, the re-sale value goes way down because very few people are interested in spending $3000 on a USED bike. Most people with that kind of budget prefer new, even if it isn't as fancy as the used boutique stuff.
Old 09-25-08, 10:50 AM
bigtea

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ALL bikes sell used for significantly less than they did new...ti or carbon or unobtainium...they depreciate quickly. Also, check out the components on the used bike...the goodies were probably swapped out for lower grade stuff...wheels, brakes, etc.

Finally, no one gets "sold" ti today...those who knowthe benefits of Ti seek it out and purchase a ti frame by choice. Carbon bikes are "sold" by the bushel at bike shops everywhere...they have a huge price range. Ti bikes are high end.

I ride an 08 Sienna...I consider it the Lexus of road bikes.
Old 09-25-08, 10:54 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Hmmmm, I was just going to say the opposite. I'm shopping for a used Ti road frame that I can build up into something over the winter. My impression is that brand-name Ti frames (Litespeed, etc.) hold their value better than other types of frames (though they still depreciate a *lot*, as do all bikes).
Old 09-25-08, 11:01 AM
bigtea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Hmmmm, I was just going to say the opposite. I'm shopping for a used Ti road frame that I can build up into something over the winter. My impression is that brand-name Ti frames (Litespeed, etc.) hold their value better than other types of frames (though they still depreciate a *lot*, as do all bikes).
I just built up an 04 Litespeed as my city bike. Put a 30degree stem on it, platform pedals, took off all decals on the frame and wheels. It's awesome.
Old 09-25-08, 11:01 AM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Used prices are dictated by fashion, not function.
Old 09-25-08, 11:12 AM
Nickshu
Fat Guy in a Little Coat

Bikes: Clark-Kent Europa Ti Road; Motobecane Fantom Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do people seriously make bike purchase decisions based on "resale value"???? I didn't think such a concern existed....where's the Kelly Blue Book for cycling???

Actually I'm hoping Ti will make a comeback and my old Clark-Kent Ti frame will fund my retirement.
Old 09-25-08, 12:35 PM
SKYLAB
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Ti bike will be in my will. I bought it to ride it forever. Fashion had nothing to do with it.
FWIW however, it is NOT as stiff as my carbon bike. It just isn't.
Old 09-25-08, 12:42 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Most "used" bikes, of every brand, sell for big discounts on E-Bay and Craig's list. If someone is going to buy a bike from a stranger, they expect a big discount, for taking the risks of a hard-to-spot problem, or the risk that the bike is stolen.

And, try to trade-in last year's bike at a shop. Many shops refuse to take trade-ins. Other shops will give you 50% of list price for a bike that is six months old...every brand, every type of bike.

And, that's wonderful for those of us who like bargains. A 1988 bike with Reynolds 531 frame and fork, and all Shimano Ultegra drivetrain, brakes and wheels can be found for $200 in virtually "like new" condition, if you are willing to hunt long enough. You get a bike that rides like a $2,000 bike, for a 90% discount.
Old 09-25-08, 01:05 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
Most "used" bikes, of every brand, sell for big discounts on E-Bay and Craig's list. If someone is going to buy a bike from a stranger, they expect a big discount, for taking the risks of a hard-to-spot problem, or the risk that the bike is stolen.

And, try to trade-in last year's bike at a shop. Many shops refuse to take trade-ins. Other shops will give you 50% of list price for a bike that is six months old...every brand, every type of bike.

And, that's wonderful for those of us who like bargains. A 1988 bike with Reynolds 531 frame and fork, and all Shimano Ultegra drivetrain, brakes and wheels can be found for $200 in virtually "like new" condition, if you are willing to hunt long enough. You get a bike that rides like a $2,000 bike, for a 90% discount.
grouch of the forum or not......he's not wrong here.
Old 01-08-09, 09:02 AM
scarletgrey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought that Classic w/the two sets of wheels mentioned in the first post off Craig's... for what it is worth.
Old 01-08-09, 10:18 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
But the question is, how do you like it?
Old 01-08-09, 10:36 AM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the real answer to your original question is .. how old is the bike?
If I'm not mistaken, the classic was made from the mid 90's to 2004.
fact is, I like mine and built it with the intention of keeping it for a while.
I was a little concerned about carbon and crashing when I decided on the ti. I got hit by a car on this bike, had no damage at all to the frame. I wonder if carbon would have faired as well.
Waterford R2200, Campy Chorus/Super Record Cobaltobrakes
Motobecane Tandem - Craigslist find
Belgium Bertin. an angel spared it and sent it my way.
Fuji Folding 4130 Mountain bike - Marlboro edition trash find
Specialized HR -A1, latest trash find (who throws bikes out??!!)
Old 01-08-09, 10:55 AM
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ti is, as the kids say, "the shizzle."
Old 01-08-09, 02:33 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by astonmartinag
My question is, why is the re-sale value on these bikes so low.
Because that's what people are willing to pay.

Or was this some kind of trick question?
Old 01-08-09, 06:35 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Dude, I recently sold my Litespeed made Eddy Merckx old school 1 inch head set for $1,000 it was 10 years old...Ti is awsome but the cost to buy new is Nutz....Carbon just is so cheap..I did luv that bike and the newer stuff is sooooosweeeeet Just 3K for a bike that would cost ya 2K if carbon..Oh well
Old 01-08-09, 11:03 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by astonmartinag
So I've started to consider going with one of the litespeed's, but that's not what I'm talking about. My question is, why is the re-sale value on these bikes so low. I've found several offers on craigslist and ebay (the buy now's) for these bikes, used...3k less than what they originally went for. For example, a litespeed classic w/ full DA and 2 sets of mavics for 1,200. If your lucky, you might be able to find a higher level cervelo used for 1-1.5k off. Since I dont re-sell my bikes, i honestly could give a **** about it...in fact, it only makes me happier because its that much cheaper to buy. I've even found used cannondale's and treks, to have a smaller depreciation. The only thing I can think of is the "carbon age?"
Custom-sized frame?
Old 01-08-09, 11:31 PM
chrisvu05
Legs of Steel

Bikes: Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ever seen the video from the rednecks over at Litespeed? These frames are built in Chattanooga, TN. I kid you not in the video instead of showing the strength of titanium with a proper strength testing device....they run over the tubing with a Dualie Pick-up truck. I'd have a hard time shelling out the kind of cash a litespeed costs to these guys. Besides if you are gonna get Ti you should go with Seven or Serotta.

here's the link to the video:

https://video.google.com/videoplay?do...62681682291899
Old 01-12-09, 10:10 AM
scarletgrey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is amazing!

I have ridden a few bikes... everything except carbon fiber. My first state road race was in 1983. The fashion in cycling can outweigh the function? So about two decades ago I put a self imposed moratorium on bikes over $500. I broke it a while back but still am the retro guy in the hood. I did this years state on all steel with seven speed downtube. The only race I really care about is a killer KOM outlaw race. I justified getting this sweet litespeed, pampered w/few miles and a boat load of parts for a great price because of this race along with the "fashion of the day" CARBON (plastic)... Long live fashion (titanium is now affordable) .
More quickly... I got my litespeed (2002 Classic w/ 2005 decals) w/two sets... for $1000 and find this southern made bicycle frame outstanding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.