Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1986 Bridgestone T700 Touring Bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-15, 11:01 AM
wehavemagnets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1986 Bridgestone T700 Touring Bicycle

(Was told i posted original in wrong place, so im posting here)

Hi, all! Here lately I've had an increased interest in cycling. I actually plan to [attempt] a cross-country ride some time later this year. I definitely don't have much money to spend on a touring bike, so I was hoping the more experienced members could offer me a bit of help. I just recently found this post on craigslist for a Bridgestone T700 Touring Bike(https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/4977731845.html) and was hoping someone could tell me if this was a good deal/rig. Quick replies with as many details as possible are definitely more than welcome. ;P

Also, I'm 5'10". Would this be a good idea?
Old 04-14-15, 11:12 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Bridgestones get a lot of love on this site because they're fine bikes.

First consideration is the size of the bike. This looks too big for you, Bridgestone Touring Bike T700

It looks to be right around 24 inch and the seller is 6 ft 2 inches. Still you could check the bike out.

Second, the bike is fully valued. Touring bikes command a premium. I would consider this to be an OK price if the bike checks out and you don't need to sink much money into it.

Third, if looking to save money on a touring bike, you could look at an internet direct bike like the bikes from Bikes Direct or Nashbar (both of which sell touring bikes). Touring bikes don't tend to pop up often on Craigslist and sellers usu. demand a premium for them.

Alternatively you could go with a vintage mountain bike. If you are OK with flat bars, they can make fantastic touring bikes and the prices are very reasonable. Certainly you can find a high quality vintage mountain bike for under $200 and probably closer to $100. The gearing is good for touring. You'd need to swap out the tires and you'll probably want to swap the bars out for trekking (or butterfly) bars. A used mountain bike is may be your best choice if trying to save money on a bike suitable for long distance touring.
Old 04-14-15, 01:08 PM
dailycommute

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would offer 250, up to 300 if it looks clean but only in person after admiring, etc. Bridgestones are generally valued higher than most japanese steel but sometimes that means national exposure for top dollar. As mentioned tour bikes are highest valued, ones like miyata 1000 and specialized 80s expedition at the peak. I would assume this t700 would be similar and very reliable once you overhaul prep for cross country. Re size, looks like a 58 - 60cm for sure. edit, might go to 350 as that looks like a clean example and the rear rack looks fine to use.

Last edited by dailycommute; 04-14-15 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 01:17 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
If it fits, $350 +/- all day long. I sold a refurbished 90% completed (just needed cables run and bar wrap), comparable Miyata 618 touring for about $365 a year ago.