Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Shoes for fat feet

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 05:17 PM
pwa93

Bikes: 2015 Argon 18 Krypton, 2015 Giant Anyroad Comax CX, 2014 KHS Tucson 29er, 2013 KHS Aguila 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoes for fat feet

Trying to find a pair of road shoes that I can get my foot into and the straps done up and not having much luck. Tried some Giro and Bontrager that I can get on and the strap closed but just barely closed and I don't think enough closed to give good support in the shoe.

I wear a 46 or 47 depending on company but have not found anyone were I live that carries a shoe in wide. My foot is just very think, I guess maybe that is a high arch. I purchased my first road bike last week with Look Keo 2 Max pedals and want to ride but can't find shoes. Have lost 186 lbs on my CX and MTB riding and looking forward to starting road riding.

Any suggestions on road shoes for large thick feet?

Thanks

Patrick
Old 10-29-15, 05:34 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Do you have comfortable shoes for the MTB and CX? If so, I'd assume that they're SPD. Put SPD pedals on the road bike and you're set.

As far as specific wide road shoes, I don't know...but someone here will.

Congrats on the weight loss!
Old 10-29-15, 05:41 PM
DWhitworth

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Do you have comfortable shoes for the MTB and CX? If so, I'd assume that they're SPD. Put SPD pedals on the road bike and you're set.

As far as specific wide road shoes, I don't know...but someone here will.

Congrats on the weight loss!
Yeah, this. I wear a size 15 wide and I couldn't find an affordable road shoe so I just went SPD and Shimano M087 shoes.

DaveW
Old 10-29-15, 05:44 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Did you try the Sidi mega shoes? They're wider. If your feet aren't wider but just bulkier, you can also get longer straps for the regular model. They're adjustable at any rate.
Old 10-29-15, 05:48 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lake has wide shoes, as well as Sidi and some Specialized shoes. If you have a Specialized dealer, they should be able to order them.
Old 10-29-15, 06:13 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I also have a wide foot. I've been riding with a higher level specialized mountain shoe. I selected the shoe based on the fact that it came in a wide width. The lower level shoes did not offer that option. $225 but I don't have any complaints about the fit.
Old 10-29-15, 07:32 PM
Stiffknee
An old newbie

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Specialized Rockhopper, Schwinn Sports Tourer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Ahh...a topic close to my heart! My shoe size is 13 4E and finding road bike shoes has been a challenge so I have much empathy for you!

However, my laborious search over the years has produced great personal results, and much of my success has been the result of posts on this forum.

I use Sidi Megas, Lake and recently learned Serfas road shoes have a wide toe box, which is what I am using on my daily rides. Don't give up!

And when you find the perfect shoe, be sure to post it to this forum as those of us with larger feet than the norm can use all the help we can find when searching for road bike shoes

Now, if I could just find some winter shoe covers that fit these larger than normal shoes (been through several pairs and all have ripped!).

Good Luck!
Old 10-29-15, 07:35 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Shimano has wide as well... I'm content with R321's.. Rapha GT also work very well. I love S-works but the toe box is narrow.
Old 10-31-15, 08:15 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stiffknee
Ahh...a topic close to my heart! My shoe size is 13 4E and finding road bike shoes has been a challenge so I have much empathy for you!

However, my laborious search over the years has produced great personal results, and much of my success has been the result of posts on this forum.

I use Sidi Megas, Lake and recently learned Serfas road shoes have a wide toe box, which is what I am using on my daily rides. Don't give up!

And when you find the perfect shoe, be sure to post it to this forum as those of us with larger feet than the norm can use all the help we can find when searching for road bike shoes

Now, if I could just find some winter shoe covers that fit these larger than normal shoes (been through several pairs and all have ripped!).

Good Luck!
I got Endura size XXL and they fit my Lake 48Wides
Old 10-31-15, 08:19 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
If you get stuck take some that come close to your width to an orthopedic shoemaker and get them to stretch them for you. Thats what I do. Costs me $15 a pair. Takes about a week.
Old 11-01-15, 09:36 PM
TiBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have very wide feet (11 EEE) and my favorites are the SIDI Mega series. Many of their models are available as Mega / wide. I have two different models one for road and one for mountain.
Old 11-01-15, 10:48 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ditto on the Sidi Mega's and the Shimano R086/87's (they have a nice, wide toe box).
Old 11-06-15, 03:36 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I don't have super-wide feet (just a hair over 13D) but they are high volume and any shoe without a generous toe box will be instantly painful. Sidi Dominator 5 and Genius 5 Megas are the only shoe I've found that I can tolerate (I have not been able to find Shimanos in my size to try on, so I can't comment). The weird thing is, they don't look like they have a huge toe box, because they're sort of pointy in front, but looks are deceiving. I'm going to look into the extra-long caliper straps that were mentioned earlier though, as I could definitely use an extra few teeth to grab the buckle.
Old 11-10-15, 01:27 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Certain models of specialized shoes come in a wide width. I have some specialized mountain spd's that are wide with. I found a road shoe on their website:

Specialized Bicycle Components
Old 11-10-15, 05:17 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on Lake. Personally, Sidis are gorgeous but never felt right. Their regular line is like a slipper and their mega line feels like a boot to me.

No idea if the sizing is right, but on another forum someone is selling a basically new pair of 46 Lakes.
Old 11-15-15, 07:01 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
Lake has wide shoes, as well as Sidi and some Specialized shoes. If you have a Specialized dealer, they should be able to order them.
I love my lakes! The 303's saved me from major damage when foot, ankle, a bit of leg was run over by a horse trailer about a year ago.

With several Velcro pant straps, they even made a decent splint to get me home (slowly) from about 20 miles out.
Old 02-01-16, 06:08 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have been using sidi mega dominators for about 7 years, I wanted some shoes for touring that I could use on and off the bike. I got some northwave touring last year. they fit my size 12 4E great. I was looking at more of the Northwave but no one seem to sell online except in the UK