Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Starting to look for large used carbon

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-17, 03:21 PM
illusiumd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife is going to slaughter me if I buy a new bike. I've got a nice steel road/commuter I'm very happy with but would like to start "piecing" together a large 63/64cm carbon road bike just for giggles and to do some club rides. I figure if I pick used parts here and there I can get away with having another bike. I never thought I'd want a bike to go fast on... but oh well...

Can anyone recommend a good frame to start with? I'm totally new to carbon.

How's this for starters? TREK MADONE 5.2 frame on Ebay $550 - is this an ok deal? Any other links/advice appreciated!
Old 06-04-17, 04:51 PM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by illusiumd
My wife is going to slaughter me if I buy a new bike. I've got a nice steel road/commuter I'm very happy with but would like to start "piecing" together a large 63/64cm carbon road bike just for giggles and to do some club rides. I figure if I pick used parts here and there I can get away with having another bike. I never thought I'd want a bike to go fast on... but oh well...

Can anyone recommend a good frame to start with? I'm totally new to carbon.

How's this for starters? TREK MADONE 5.2 frame on Ebay $550 - is this an ok deal? Any other links/advice appreciated!
The main issue with carbon is that a major flaw could be invisible. For example, carbon has strength only if the layers remain bonded; if there are delaminations, the frame is compromised. A clamp was tightened to much, the frame may be compromised. Bolts are tightened using the wrong procedure, the frame may be compromised. The plug in the steerer tube was not in the spot, the fork may be compromised.

A compromised frame, fork, steerer tube, etc. puts you at serious risk. As is deathly serious. You should have any used carbon frame you plan on buying examined by a competent bike mechanic.
Old 06-04-17, 08:13 PM
illusiumd

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoa didn't know used carbon was such a potential hassle - maybe i'll look into an older aluminum race bike - would be cheaper too
Old 06-05-17, 10:40 AM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
whoa didn't know used carbon was such a potential hassle - maybe i'll look into an older aluminum race bike - would be cheaper too
I would not say that it is a hassle. More something to know about specially when buying used. Metal has its strengths and weaknesses too.

The bike you mentioned in the original post was repaired; was the damage just cosmetic, what was the exact repair and by whom? This could be a very good frame, or not.
Old 06-05-17, 11:21 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Go steel. It is much more comfortable especially at our weights.
Old 06-05-17, 11:48 AM
Garilia

Bikes: Fantom 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
Go steel. It is much more comfortable especially at our weights.
It's a cliche, but it's true. Steel is real.
Old 06-05-17, 11:53 AM
rgconner

Originally Posted by Garilia
It's a cliche, but it's true. Steel is real.
It is also science. The properties of a material (modulus) that make it vibration adsorbing also mean Steel is less than Carbon, but more than Aluminum.
Old 06-05-17, 03:13 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I bought my last two frames used on ebay and have had zero point zero issues. Carbon is significantly hardier than people seem to think and frankly, if you're so terrified of carbon make sure you get a full steel fork for your steel bike too because the FORK is the failure that would terrify me the most and almost 100% of all decent road bikes sold today have carbon forks.

A lot of FUD.
Old 06-05-17, 08:29 PM
rgconner

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I bought my last two frames used on ebay and have had zero point zero issues. Carbon is significantly hardier than people seem to think and frankly, if you're so terrified of carbon make sure you get a full steel fork for your steel bike too because the FORK is the failure that would terrify me the most and almost 100% of all decent road bikes sold today have carbon forks.

A lot of FUD.
When I did buy a carbon fork... I bought a TANDEM carbon fork, per the manufacturers (AlphaQ) recommendation.

Don't worry about it at all.
Old 06-08-17, 11:12 AM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do you want carbon?

The vast majority of expected differences (especially as communicated on an Internet forum) are based on some limited experiences. Carbon is the new thing. But steel, Titanium, Aluminum and Carbon can be made to be lighter or heavier, stiffer or more flexible, plush, etc.

Carbon has the great advantage of being light, which marketing folks have sold as faster. It means nothing at a clyde size. It can also be manipulated into all sorts of shapes and bike behavior. It's not necessarily better. It's not even necessarily lighter.

I would worry -- and carefully check myself and/or with a mechanic -- ANY used bike. Carbon can fail spectacularly and not give much indication beforehand. Steel can fail, and aluminum and Titatinum. Carbon requires people with a little knowledge on working it. For example, if you over tighten a stem bolt on a steel fork steerer, not much is going to happen, though you might break the bolt. Do the same on a carbon steerer and you can crack the steerer and not necessarily know it, which compromises structural integrity. Does it happen a lot? Not anymore. Does it happen? sure.

The other thing I'd say is make sure any carbon dropouts are checked carefully. I've seen them gouged, and I've seen that create issues with wheel slippage.