Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For MaroHer... VSP, 720 and M100LT

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-20, 11:48 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts

Short story long- a nice young man sent me a Visitor Message asking about the Voyageur SP, Trek 720 and Miyata 1000LT- I typed out a nice response and got a 'your reply is too long' error, so I shortened it, still got the error; shortened it again and still got an error- and by that time I'd barely touched on his questions. Since Visitor Messsages are public, I don't think I'm crossing any lines by including his post in a thread.

MaroHer

Hello Marcin!

The Visitor Message has a 1000 character limit- I couldn't answer your questions well- so I started a thread so other people can add their opinions.

I noticed You had a decent bikes: 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 720; 1990 Miyata 1000LT.
+ do You know/ride on 84- 85 Specialized Expedition too?
Thank you! I have not ridden on a 1980s Specialized Expedition, so I really can't compare.

- which is the best od them for medium luggage tourism (2 rear panniers and small front panniers or a bag above the wheel. together about 30 lbl) track: on local roads and gravel?
I have ridden with around 20-25 pounds on the Voyageur SP (VSP) and the Trek 720, I have not ridden with real weight on the Miyata 1000LT for any long stretch yet. I do not have low-rider pannier mounts for the front of any bike- which means I'm carrying the weight up higher- I think that throws the steering off more than if the weight were lower. It's been the same with my handlebar bag- I believe my 1990 Miyata 1000LT would be the best at hauling any sort of weight. The M1000LT is heavier, but it's also much more stiff and it seems to be more stable and also seems to transfer power better. (It feels quicker). I think a lot of things happened between 1985 and 1990 in the design of touring bikes- so the newer bike has an advantage.

- and how do you rate the quality of the frame and components on these 4 bikes?
I think the quality of the frames is all fantastic. The VSP was built by Panasonic out of Columbus SL and SP (although mine, being smaller, may just be SL), the 720 was handbuilt by Trek out of 531C and the M1000LT was made by Miyata using Miyata's Spline Triple Butted tubing. Both the VSP and the 720 were outfitted with the very best components of their day. The Miyata was designed 4-5 years later, it had heavier, yet stiffer, tubing and the components were 2nd from the top of the line (but still "better" than the old components).

I think a mid-80s bike would need a little updating before going on a long tour. Both the VSP and 720 have 5 speed rear ends- if you're OK with that then that's OK. On the VSP- I don't trust the LeTech derailleur. I think a triple pivot derailleur is too complicated. On the Trek 720, I would want to replace the Helicomatic hub and the Duopar derailleur- again, there's too many good dual pivot derailleurs to be messing with a fragile triple pivot...

- what are difference between? them how they ride?
I think the top level touring bikes of the early-mid 80s tended to lean more towards "elegance" than "business." The status of those bikes was reinforced by the thinner tubing and the prestige of the components. The Miyata, although it is a "Luxe Touring" model, seems to lean more towards "business" than "elegant."

My VSP feels smaller than other bikes- the seat tube is more steep and the top tube is shorter- so you feel cramped until you get used to it. It has a very forgiving ride, it's reasonably stiff, and doesn't really flex much- especially as it's got a shorter wheelbase than the other bikes. Right now my VSP is sort of "retired" until I can fix it up. I dented the top tube a few years ago, it made me sick when I saw it.

My Trek 720 is my favorite bike to ride- however, in the past few years- that's got more to do with having upgraded it to a 10 speed rear end. It is a relatively compliant ride- it doesn't flex as much as my 620, but I would say more than the VSP. I think it balances "compliant" with "flexy." I really love riding it.

Although you didn't bring it up- my 620 has historically been my favorite bike to ride until I did the 720 up to 10 speed- I have more miles on that bike than all the other ones. I used to think it felt heavier than my 720- but I think it feels and rides lighter than the 720- but it's also much more "flexy" than any other bike. I'm not a strong rider, but I've been able to make this bike ghost shift. HOWEVER, it is so very comfortable to ride- I don't feel the flex robs a lot of power- however, I haven't ridden with serious weight on it for a good 5 years or so. I'm in the process of rebuilding the 620 into a 10 speed rear end- so we'll see how it compares to the 720 when I'm finished.

My Miyata 1000LT is the bike I would choose if I were to go on another long distance, "carry lots of stuff," tour. As I mentioned, the M1000LT seems to be much more "business" than the other bikes- it's not trying to compete with another company on the levels of the prestige of the tubing or even the overall weight of the bike. It was specced with Deore DX- instead of XT, the paint isn't particularly lustrous, but it is pretty tough. This bike was meant to ride, rather than be a status symbol. The Miyata is much more stiff than any of the other bikes, and I really think it would handle much better under load than any of the other bikes. It's also a fun bike to ride without panniers as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you want anything clarified!

If anyone has anything else to add- go to it!!

​​​​​​​Best!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-04-20, 06:58 AM
MaroHer

Bikes: Koga Miyata traveler, Kalkhoff Long Distance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Short story long- a nice young man sent me a Visitor Message asking about the Voyageur SP, Trek 720 and Miyata 1000LT- I typed out a nice response and got a 'your reply is too long' error, so I shortened it, still got the error; shortened it again and still got an error.. I don't think I'm crossing any lines by including his post in a thread.
​​​​​​..
​​​​​​..
Let me know if you have any other questions or if you want anything clarified!

If anyone has anything else to add- go to it!!
Best!
Hello again
Thx for this deep explanation! And I'm happy that You put this in thread, it is interesting for all who llike an old tourer IMHO.
​​​​​​​MaroHer
Likes For MaroHer: