Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Did I lose the carbon rim?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-24, 09:23 AM
Kobir1971

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I used rigid plastic levers to get out tyre and damaged the rim sidewall.
Is there anything that can be done to repair it ?

Thanks
Old 02-24-24, 10:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
This is a pic you wanted to post?

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/32794060

Might be better to have seen it with the tire off. But it's definitely something you should watch closely before and after every ride from now on. Perhaps some epoxy resin or epoxy glue smeared on there might help prevent it from flaking and getting worse. Depending on your finances, getting another wheel might be the better choice. But if I didn't have the money, I'd still ride it till I saw doom and gloom about to happen with the wheel and hope that I see that before I'm involved in it.

Might be nice for others to know what brand and model rim this is. More heavily built carbon rims might be less of a concern. Super light carbon rims might be more of a concern. I don't actually own any CF rims yet. So I'm just guessing. I've ridden alloy rims that others wouldn't and never had a wreck or disaster from that. But is basically your acceptance or aversion to risk that you have to assess.

What's with the tire. Is it inflated? Left side of pic looks like the tire is sitting to low in the rim.

Welcome to BF.

Last edited by Iride01; 02-24-24 at 10:17 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-24-24, 11:00 AM
Kobir1971

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
Yes , I took the picture with an inflate tyre .
The wheel brand is Fiber

Thanks
Kobi
Old 02-27-24, 02:30 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
That doesn't look like anything that would be caused by a plastic tire lever, or even a steel one. If the rim is damaged like that, it seems like you took a pretty good hit from a rock, pothole, or curb. Is the wheel toast? That's hard to say. You could sand the edges smooth and use it for years with no problem, or it could split tomorrow. Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances. Carbon rims are built to be pretty robust; but if it were me, I'd have a new rim on the way.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 02-27-24, 02:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I haven't heard of that company but I wouldn't personally want to ride on damaged carbon but especially damaged carbon of unknown quantity or quality. Like others have said it could be fine with some sanding and maybe some epoxy or it could fail quickly and I don't know what it would be and I don't have the ability or want to find out.

It was highly unlikely to be caused by a plastic tire lever and if it was I certainly wouldn't want to ride on those rims as they are so poorly made it isn't even funny. Likely it was damaged in some other way.

Kobi I would highly recommend you get a new wheel and get it from a known quantity and quality manufacturer and take care of it. Keep your tires properly inflated and if you are hitting curbs and stuff like that more often I would look at something more robust and carbon might not be that material or if it were carbon maybe something like Reserve or the newer forged carbon stuff like Forge + Bond but if lightweight is the place you are going there is plenty of lightweight alloy rims out there.
Old 02-27-24, 04:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
I wouldn't ride that wheel if you paid me. But then, I paid good money for all of this dental work - don't want to risk it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-01-24, 10:18 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
That doesn't look like anything that would be caused by a plastic tire lever
I have used plastic tire levers on several different carbon wheels for many years and never seen anything like this - and agree that carbon rims are strong enough to withstand the force of a plastic lever. That said - it is possible that a small crack or flaw in the rim that wasn’t obvious could become obvious by using a lever on that exact location.

If I were the OP I’d probably take it to a qualified shop and ask for their opinion before riding it.
Old 03-01-24, 04:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
i'd junk it.
Old 03-02-24, 12:51 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Sort of a case of "If you have to ask."
If it worries you enough to ask, you'll be fretting about it on every ride. That would be a fun killer for me.
Maybe turn it around, Would you let someone precious to you ride on it?
Likes For Pratt: