Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Chain guard

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Chain guard

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 10:28 AM
Danny 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain guard

I have a Sun Easy 1 recumbent that I have been riding for about 10 years. I am in a colder climate now and when wearing sweatpants I am getting oil on my pant leg. Is there a chain guard made for this bike? If not any ideas what to use?
Old 03-13-24, 10:44 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread moved from Mechanics to Recumbents.

Old 03-14-24, 01:42 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
pants clips solution

Simplest solution is to buy a pair of "bicycle trouser clips" aka "bicycle pants clips" That will hold your sweatpants close to your leg so it never brushes up against the chain or chainring. Lots of sources from Amazon to eBay with varying prices from as little as $2,57 a pair with 3 week shipping from China to $7.35 for the same clips by a US seller with 4 day shipping, https://www.ebay.com/itm/315182598415 https://www.ebay.com/itm/364685744230 You really only need to use the right clip.
Old 03-14-24, 07:17 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
They also make fabric straps that attach around your ankle with velcro for <$10.
If that's too expensive, you can use a rubber band, although a rubber band won't have the reflectiveness of a strap. Or, if you don't have a rubber band, just tuck your pant leg into your sock.

PS. Have you already figured out that you can tuck the shoelaces in your right foot into your shoe?

It generally doesn't work well to use a chainguard on a multi-chainring crankset. A chainguard will interfere with shifting and stick out into the pedal arm's path
Old 03-20-24, 02:36 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny 1
I have a Sun Easy 1 recumbent that I have been riding for about 10 years. I am in a colder climate now and when wearing sweatpants I am getting oil on my pant leg. Is there a chain guard made for this bike? If not any ideas what to use?
On derailleur bikes it's generally easier to fit the chainguard to yourself than the bike - get some cheap gaiters. Or you could try a different chain lubrication approach: wax lube is said by it's users to stay cleaner longer, so touching the chain won't stain your leg - the chain will last longer too, if they're to be believed.
Old 03-29-24, 05:34 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It's best to keep the pant legs and shoelaces away from the chainring by way of clips/straps. Getting caught in the chain is no fun.