Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

No-drop policy

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

No-drop policy

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-08, 10:07 AM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No-drop policy

Ok let's hear it. Is the "No-drop policy" strictly enforced in your cycling family. Does your significant other make you sleep on the couch, in the doghouse, deprive you of sustenance, deprive you of oh-no not that if you don't ride with them on a ride/race or training ride? I'll start it off this is what we do.

I presented options very early in our relationship.

This is the way we work it, and it's agreed upon on a case by case (event by event) basis.

1. I launch her out early (if the ride/race has staggered starts but also in training) and then chase her down.

2. I ride fixed while she rides multi-speed

3. I start with her and finish (event/climb) at my pace and then come back for her and ride at her pace.

4. Combination of all of the above

5. And then sometimes I just hang with her...
Old 09-27-08, 10:09 AM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Bikes: Light.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're faster?

I thought she did all the pulling.
Old 09-27-08, 10:11 AM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear the spandex in the family.
Old 09-27-08, 10:20 AM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BananaTugger
You're faster?

I thought she did all the pulling.
Oh she's good at pulling or tugging...never mind but Vireo is the lead dog of this sled team.
Old 09-27-08, 10:28 AM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vireo
I presented options very early in our relationship.

I let him think that he presented options very early on.

No really...we both do our own thing out there. I respect that he has his goals and he respects that I have mine. Often that leaves us riding alone...which is actually what we both prefer. We have done portions of double centuries together, but it's always a nice bonus, not an expectation. He does come back for me after he finishes, which is sweet.

Training rides are pretty much the same. That's the beauty of training for climbing events though, we can both go at our own pace and be on the mountain at the same time, but not have to stay together.

Hopefully we can get some time in on our tandem in the next couple of months...no need to discuss a no drop policy there. Of course, that brings up all kinds of other issues! You know, it's really hard to go from controlling your own bike to being a stoker. I'm still in the minor freak out stages.

Wheels Rolling
Old 09-27-08, 10:46 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I've thought about getting a fixed so I can ride with my wife (who is signifigantly slower) but then again, I need a new road bike so it probably wont happen
Old 09-27-08, 11:09 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
my relationship is a three way one. Psi and Cy and me. we have an understanding. we are constantly trying to drop each other. its how we roll . later.
Old 09-27-08, 11:18 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dropping the significant other is a one-way ticket to the couch.
Old 09-27-08, 11:49 AM
Bearonabike

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If I ride with the wife, then I ride with the wife.

Sometimes I ride by myself. One could be called a recovery ride (for me) and the other is a workout.
Old 09-27-08, 11:59 AM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife won't ride with me any more. We're just too far apart in terms of speed and willingness to suffer to make it work. The best rides "together" have been when I have met her part way through what's a long ride for me and a shorter ride for her, ridden together for a while, then split up to finish our rides. I have suggested a tandem but she's really not interested. I think her idea of hell would be getting stuck on a tandem with me... "c'mon honey, only one more 3000' climb, then we can go home!"

Lately instead of cycling she's been running. That's safe from me: I can't run because my knees are too messed up.
Old 09-27-08, 12:04 PM
RoadToNowhere
mamafitz

Bikes: Serotta CDA, Cannondale R800, mid-80's Bianchi hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Laying out those rules early on is a good thing.

There was a couple riding together (?) on the Lancaster ride last year. He kept slingshotting ahead, while she stayed back *****ing and complaining. Then he'd come back and she'd complain even louder. No sense of humor there. We tried to find it and couldn't (I don't think even Chipcom could help her)

It was great entertainment for the rest of us, but a pretty lousy dynamic for them.

I'm the one leading my husband around at this point. He's just getting started, but is very strong and fit - just getting used to the bike now. I know that as soon as he gets his legs under him and gets some experience he'll be able to pull me around (and most likely kick my arse), so I'm trying to be nice now.

However...after the first couple of rides hearing him complain about the fact that route was about 10 miles longer than I first told him it would be () ... I told him that there's no whining in riding, and if he's going to whine and complain then he can't come along.

I won't drop anyone ever without knowing they can find their way home and are okay getting there.

Beth
Old 09-27-08, 12:09 PM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine stays behind me usually, he likes the view.
Dropping me would make for a lonely, boring ride.
Waterford R2200, Campy Chorus/Super Record Cobaltobrakes
Motobecane Tandem - Craigslist find
Belgium Bertin. an angel spared it and sent it my way.
Fuji Folding 4130 Mountain bike - Marlboro edition trash find
Specialized HR -A1, latest trash find (who throws bikes out??!!)
Old 09-27-08, 12:24 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I really can't ride with my wife. I try. She accuses me of going too fast. I try to ride at her pace. I think she just rides faster because she's with me.

It's a problem. We'll try again.
Old 09-27-08, 01:07 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a charity event/organized ride we usually start together until the climbing hits and then I make distance. I know she's a good rider and can hold her own. Every so often I'll drop off groups and wait for her to catch up. Our goal is to finish together since the rides we do are rides and not races.

If we are on a smaller group ride around town then all bets are off and we go at our own paces. Usually these rides stay together, but every so often there's a break and if either one of us are in then we stay up front as long as we can. In these cases it's ok since we are riding with people we know and we both know the area very well.

When it's the two of us together on a training ride then we stick together.

We are pretty lucky in that we are pretty well matched speed wise. She's better on the flats then me and has a bit more endurance, while I take her on the climbs...
Old 09-27-08, 01:18 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandy
Hopefully we can get some time in on our tandem in the next couple of months...no need to discuss a no drop policy there. Of course, that brings up all kinds of other issues! You know, it's really hard to go from controlling your own bike to being a stoker. I'm still in the minor freak out stages.
My wife and I tried a tandem. It was a spectacular failure. On the good side, she's a good stoker on steep inclines -- we were passing plenty of roadies while climbing around the SF area, and people were blown away by our climbing speed.

On the bad side, she can't stand high speeds. Even worse, if the stoker decides not to follow the captain's lead, it causes severe handling problems. She would hold her feet tight if she thought we were going too fast downhill. If she saw no need to turn (i.e. because she hadn't spotted the debris that I saw), she wouldn't follow my lead. One could suggest that she pilot the bike and I be the stoker, but she rides WAY too conservatively and I know I'd go crazy.

In the end, I decided that if we ride together, I should ride my slowest bike weighed down as much as possible, use the crappiest aero profile possible, and then cut the wind.
Old 09-27-08, 01:39 PM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The best rides I've had with my wife are when we go touring together. I load up the Bob Trailer with all of our gear, and she just has panniers filled with light and fluffy stuff. It equaled us out in everything but the steep descents.
But as others have said, when I go to ride with my wife, I ride with my wife. Folks that drop their significant others aren't impressing anyone.
Old 09-27-08, 02:04 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Granted, that my wife doesn't like to go fast, or go on long rides (over 20 miles); but, I'd never even think of leaving her if we were riding together.

The other question might be - why aren't you riding together, if you are riding together?

Maybe that's part of being married for 40+ years - but I wouldn't even consider it!
Old 09-27-08, 02:07 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Click on the pic of the yellow bike in my sig for my answer to the dilemma.....
Old 09-27-08, 02:12 PM
<3 2 Ride 
Found my way

Bikes: Salsa Campeon, Specialized Crux, Bottechia Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get the opportunity to ride with someone very often. So, when I do go out on a ride with someone, I ride with them. It is nice to have company.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Old 09-27-08, 02:13 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Granted, that my wife doesn't like to go fast, or go on long rides (over 20 miles); but, I'd never even think of leaving her if we were riding together.

The other question might be - why aren't you riding together, if you are riding together?

Maybe that's part of being married for 40+ years - but I wouldn't even consider it!
Great question-- I tell people we are like Clark Kent and Superman -- you rarely see us on the same ride/event/race. So riding together is more the exception than the rule. Our training time is far too limited ( 4 kids, work, life whatever) to waste/spend it trying to keep each other's pace (she would blow up or I would not work enough). We are quite content to do the event separate and then enjoy our time together without the confines of lycra, or the perils of traffic and road hazards distracting us from our quality time.

Congrats on 40 years!!
Old 09-27-08, 02:53 PM
sixtyten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh she's good at pulling or tugging...
Interesting.
Old 09-27-08, 02:57 PM
tombailey
awaiting uci approval

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's just the two of us I stay with her. If it's just the two of us on a charity ride then I sometimes go up the road with a group then wait every 5 miles or so. If it's the two of us and friends I go up the road. If it's hilly I just do my best to try and stay on her wheel (she has a 100lb weight advantage and a "climbers brain").
Old 09-27-08, 03:11 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
My wife and I tried a tandem. It was a spectacular failure. On the good side, she's a good stoker on steep inclines -- we were passing plenty of roadies while climbing around the SF area, and people were blown away by our climbing speed.

On the bad side, she can't stand high speeds. Even worse, if the stoker decides not to follow the captain's lead, it causes severe handling problems. She would hold her feet tight if she thought we were going too fast downhill. If she saw no need to turn (i.e. because she hadn't spotted the debris that I saw), she wouldn't follow my lead. One could suggest that she pilot the bike and I be the stoker, but she rides WAY too conservatively and I know I'd go crazy.

In the end, I decided that if we ride together, I should ride my slowest bike weighed down as much as possible, use the crappiest aero profile possible, and then cut the wind.
We have only ridden this about three times. We hope to find sometime this winter to ride Pia. We are still working on getting the fit right for both of us.

Old 09-27-08, 04:45 PM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People rarely believe me when I tell them that I am more than fine...in fact, I'm happy with our arrangement. Maybe it's because I was already a cyclist when we met and it wasn't something that he tried to get me into. I could see being upset if he talked me into doing something he loved and then didn't do it with me. I guess it's all about perspective.

I can't climb with him and climb within my limits. It makes for a miserable day if I'm trying to keep pace with him on the mountain. Though I am getting faster (I beat his first year Day One Everest Challenge time by 3 minutes, so give me a couple of years...lol) and I'm sure the gap will get smaller as time passes. I'll probably never outclimb him though, unless I decided to adopt a nifty cycling induced eating disorder.

I guess the other thing to consider is that I'm a loner. I don't do a whole lot of group rides and I LOVE to train alone. Riding by myself, I can have training goals and stick with them because I'm the only factor in my success out there. Now I love to talk cycling, I love meeting other cyclists, I'll stick with a group for a short time if I come across one, but I'm not one to seek out riding partners. If I do, I usually end up dreading it because I'm following someone else's plan. <~~~control freak, much? Oh...and climbing with other people...pretty much anyone...drives me bat-shizz crazy. I like seeing you on the mountain, but I don't want to climb with other people 98% of the time.

Wheels Rolling
Old 09-27-08, 04:47 PM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have only ridden this about three times. We hope to find sometime this winter to ride Pia. We are still working on getting the fit right for both of us.

Ahhh...Pia. Get me a blindfold and I'm good to go. Seriously...I FLIPPED OUT the first time we took her out. I started closing my eyes when we were making turns so I wouldn't try to steer from the backseat. We need some more tandem skills!!!

Wheels Rolling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.