Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else sick of the litter they see on their ride>

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-08, 04:00 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Maybe this belongs elsewhere we will see.

Is anyone else sick of the litter they see on their ride? You kind of get up close and personal with liter on a ride.

We had a couple of warm days here and I was lucky enough to get out on the road for a couple of rides. I guess the hard working folks that try to keep the roads clean just don't want to go out and clean the roads during the winter I don't blame them.

What is really upsetting is the morons who think it is OK to dump their tires and other trash on back roads.

The question is what to do about it?

Yeah you could adopt a road and clean it but it will only be back in a week or so.

Does anyone know how to get a political action committee together? I think it would be a simple matter to have legislation that says, large appliances and tires would need to be registered by the buyer. Serial numbers could be filed off but at least you would get some people too stupid to remove the number.

I was also thinking that very large fines that could be enacted where the person turning in the litter bug would get the lions share of the fine. If you could actually collect most of the fines then a whole industry could be created by catching scofflaws.

Anyone else sick of the litter?
Old 12-28-08, 04:04 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
The problem is not laws or lack thereof. Laws don't do any good if you have widespread disregard of them anyway. The problem is public attitudes, and changing that is a trick in itself.
Old 12-28-08, 04:06 PM
Pocko

Bikes: MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Yeah, broken beer bottles thrown by friday night boy-racer wannabies!

Sick of repairing punctures!

Old 12-28-08, 04:10 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would be the last person to splash cold water on a problem I agree we have. However it seems as if this problem is pretty low on the priority list of most officials. If you have ever bought a set of tires you already know write down the serial number of each tire they put on your car. So if the effort seemed worth it you would think they could track down who last had those tires you see on the side of the road. There is a fine for dumping trash on the side of the road but it seems it is too hard or time consuming to bother with.
Old 12-28-08, 04:11 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by StephenH
The problem is not laws or lack thereof. Laws don't do any good if you have widespread disregard of them anyway. The problem is public attitudes, and changing that is a trick in itself.
But you won't change those attitudes because there are morons raising morons.

The problem is that there is very little chance of being caught so people think nothing of doing it. The punishment should reflect the possibility of getting caught. And public service announcements something to the effect of "Yeah you think we probably won't catch you but if we do......"
Old 12-28-08, 04:12 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The next time that you are in a lfet turn lane waiting for the light to change take a look at the side of the road. Appearantly a lot of smokers take that opportunity to empty their car ash trays. YUCK!
Old 12-28-08, 04:14 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Robert Foster
I would be the last person to splash cold water on a problem I agree we have. However it seems as if this problem is pretty low on the priority list of most officials. If you have ever bought a set of tires you already know write down the serial number of each tire they put on your car. So if the effort seemed worth it you would think they could track down who last had those tires you see on the side of the road. There is a fine for dumping trash on the side of the road but it seems it is too hard or time consuming to bother with.
Correct that is why I think if you made the fine worth it then private individuals would get involved. There are states that are smart enough to have deposits on bottles and you see lots of people picking them up that want to make an extra buck. How many tires would be on the road if you could collect $100 or more in fines /reward?
Old 12-28-08, 04:15 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I still enjoy flats from broken beer bottles.
Please drink from cans.
Thanks

Old 12-28-08, 04:17 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The most ugly of all is beauty spoiled.
Old 12-28-08, 04:17 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
The next time that you are in a lfet turn lane waiting for the light to change take a look at the side of the road. Appearantly a lot of smokers take that opportunity to empty their car ash trays. YUCK!
Yeah, saw a guy do this in the church parking lot where we have permission to use as a park and ride. I confronted him about it. What an attitude he had. I took him aside and said something, what I should have done was either let the whole bus know or take his license and have the Father talk to him. That would have been embarrassing.
Old 12-28-08, 04:23 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
There are states that are smart enough to have deposits on bottles and you see lots of people picking them up that want to make an extra buck.
But Spinnaker, if you look at those laws, you'll see that all the states that have enacted them have issues with people coming in from neighboring states where there was no deposit paid, and collecting.

I'm not putting the kibosh on your idea, I think it's great. It's just that it would have to be universal, which means federally mandated, and then the states get their respective panties in a bunch.

-R
Old 12-28-08, 06:41 PM
bikebuddha 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jes, Oui, and Affirmative!
Old 12-28-08, 06:42 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Wasn't this addressed, oh, thirty-odd years ago?

I'm just old enough to remember when litter was BAD. It's still better now than it was back then.
Old 12-28-08, 07:10 PM
nivekdodge

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Cannondale Super X, Dedaciai Nuerissimo.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spinnaker,
I am not trying to rationalize or make excuses for but, I worked for a company that is very close to where you and I live. One of the things I noticed is the amount of litter on the roads around 22-30. Then I noticed people cleaning it up from some of the local refuse companies and then I started to see something. The amount of trash that comes out of the garbage trucks on the way to the dump is amazing. There is a landfill on rt22-30 that is responsible for a ton of litter on that road. The owners of the landfill send crews out every couple days to clean up but the amount that comes out in between these days is huge. I say this because I drove 22-30 as part of my job and 2-3 times a day was average. So I started to notice the patterns that were here and it might not be the only cause but in this area it contributes more than just a little bit. And if this is the bottom of the funnel, imagine how many bits and pieces are lost getting to 22-30. I now drive 20+ thousand a year in ths county and I have to admit I rarely see something like you describe, when someone tosses something from thier car.

Kevin
Old 12-28-08, 07:10 PM
bikebuddha 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Wasn't this addressed, oh, thirty-odd years ago?

I'm just old enough to remember when litter was BAD. It's still better now than it was back then.
Agreed at least you don't see pop tops everywhere now days, but it seems the younger generation doesn't take it seriously.
Old 12-28-08, 08:56 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Yes, I'm sick of it - in general I favor deposits as a means of reducing litter.

It's very temping to fall into the trap of pointing a finger at others on this issue; I'm very fastidious about keeping track of my trash when biking, hiking, backpacking, or just driving. I also commute on a bike. On the other hand, I drive about 10k a year burning fossil fuel, I'm burning coal-generated electricity to run this computer for my leisure - both of which dump pollution into the atmosphere. I surely am responsible for a significant amount of trash each year in packaging and disposable products.

The "morons" who throw trash out their windows are exceptional in our culture only in that their pollution is visible - in fact that visible pollution is the tip of the iceburg.
Old 12-28-08, 08:58 PM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep.
that's why we were out, as a group, last Saturday doing a beach clean up.
Waterford R2200, Campy Chorus/Super Record Cobaltobrakes
Motobecane Tandem - Craigslist find
Belgium Bertin. an angel spared it and sent it my way.
Fuji Folding 4130 Mountain bike - Marlboro edition trash find
Specialized HR -A1, latest trash find (who throws bikes out??!!)
Old 12-28-08, 09:56 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is another problem that has happened in my area. Some of the counties decided that white metal couldn't be dumped in the same place as other refuse. So after a while you either had to get the company that you bought your new stove or whatever from to take your old stove. When that wasn't possible we started to see white metal tossed out along river beds and deserted fields so the counties had to make recycling centers to take white metal. But you are correct about cans and bottles. Because we have recycling centers close to us you don't see many cans along the side of the road. Now we are faced with a problem getting rid of old TVs and Computer screens. I am lucky I have found a county number for hazardous material pickup.
Old 12-29-08, 06:13 AM
Bob Nichols

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding yesterday I saw a whole trash bag that had spilt open and trash all along the side of the road. Don't know if it fell out of someone's truck or was thrown out. I don't ever throw trash out of my car window. Just throw it on the floor and then clean the car out every once in a while. We could save a lot on money on trash pick up if everyone would do this.
Old 12-29-08, 08:09 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
There is another problem that has happened in my area. Some of the counties decided that white metal couldn't be dumped in the same place as other refuse. So after a while you either had to get the company that you bought your new stove or whatever from to take your old stove.
That's the first question I ask when we're shopping for a new appliance. I tell the salesman before we look at anything that not hauling the old appliance away is a deal breaker. They almost always find a way to make it work. If they have to factor something into their price, I don't care.
Old 12-29-08, 08:43 AM
50000 Guatts of power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the best you can do is get a dump truck and pick up the stuff yourself

it is so easy to complain, but step up and do something. pick it up.

decide what makes you a better person.
Old 12-29-08, 09:16 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1
the best you can do is get a dump truck and pick up the stuff yourself

it is so easy to complain, but step up and do something. pick it up.

decide what makes you a better person.
That doesn't fix the problem. A week later and it will be back again. I'm not complaining I am looking for solutions to a problem.
Old 12-29-08, 09:44 AM
enine

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have plenty of relatives whos appliances are so bad they happily take my used ones, I've usually just bought new when we either didn't have one before or remodeled, usually buying higher end stuff that has never broken down or was easy enough and worth fixing if it did. Broke the water fill tube on our washer years ago when I washed a large comforter and the duct tape i fixed it with is still holdng fine.
The wosrt is people that flip lit cigarest out, I've stomped out a couple small leaf fires. When they do that while stopped at a light I always want to pick them back up and toss them back in the car.
Old 12-29-08, 03:32 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
About the cigarettes --

Honestly, it amazes me that a smoker is disgusted by something that they're, well, smoking.
Old 12-29-08, 03:50 PM
Pocko

Bikes: MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ I actually know of a cyclist who smokes and rides...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.