Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What is your average speed ?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 01:50 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I see people posting 50 to 70 mile rides, ( on where did you take your Hybrid today). That
would take me all day. My computer says I average 9.7 MPH, but when riding, I always
try and stay around 10 to 17 MPH. Unless down hills, which I have (plenty) of, then hitting
35 MPH no problem going down, and pushing up the other side 3 MPH. I can ride 30 to 40
miles in a day commuting to town, but I'm always gone for most of the day, and make many
stops along the way. I guess my question is, as Hybrid riders, a lot of people post numbers
that would represent road riders. I'm sure I could maintain 17 MPH for 5 miles, if I picked
the terrain, not to hilly....Just wondering what the rest of you are averaging ? Richard
Old 07-11-10, 02:36 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today's average over 50 miles was 12.5, part road and part trail including several hilly sections.
Last week's 70 mile ride average was 12.9 on a mostly flat, mostly trail ride.
Old 07-11-10, 02:51 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Have no idea, as a computer isn't a priority at the moment. But it takes me roughly 45-60 minutes during my commute to ride just over 9 miles.
Old 07-11-10, 03:12 PM
killarbb

Bikes: small variety

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am averaging about 14-15mph. this is on rides of over 20 miles. yesterday i rode 43 miles and averaged 14.6mph. this is all on a trek 7.2fx. i have been riding for about 3 months.
Old 07-11-10, 03:36 PM
akdms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can ride downtown and back (13.6 miles) in about an hour pretty easily, with traffic. It's fairly hilly, but nothing too bad. On flat I can cruise at about 18 mph, but overall I'd say I average closer to 14-15.
Old 07-11-10, 04:35 PM
erdem

Bikes: trek fx 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
today i ride about 25 miles. my average speed was 12mph. my maximum speed ever is 29mph.

when climbing the hill a boy (looks like a racer) said 'hello' and passed me. it was quite windy. i tried to catch him but couldn't

i still have bike related problems. i put a shorter stem and moved the saddle to front. but this time i have difficulty in climbing hills. and after changing the stem a noise comes from the bike. so i'll again put on the original stem. i suppose my problems with the bike is related to fitting. the bike is big for me. so i decided to sell it in the future

yesterday i met to a young bike mechanic. he said that he'll make 95 miles in a day. i asked 'how long does it take to ride this distance?' and he said '5 hours'. that was incredible his bike is a full carbon mtb.

and i think the racers bike who passed me when climbing was also a mtb or a hybrid with wide tires.
Old 07-11-10, 05:14 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I just did a test.

39 minutes, 8.5 miles, that is with all the add ons my bike has, around 30 pounds. Bike
weighs 31 pounds, it was very hot, 93.9 degrees. 48 percent humidity, and I tried not
to loose time on water bottle drinks, cars etc...I was going to take off the extras, just to
see how fast I could go. But that seemed like I was defeating the point. I might could
have done a little faster, but that was trying close to my best....... Richard
Old 07-11-10, 06:32 PM
Rob_U

Bikes: Trek 2008 Navigator 2.0, 2010 Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whether I think I'm going to take it easy, or go hard I seem to be at around 15mph. I've dipped below on a couple of occasions, but recently I've been training for a metric century ride (the 64 mile course of the One Helluva Ride in Chelsea Mi) and I would try to pace myself and I'd still end over 15. The ride was just yesterday, and full of hills, and I did 15.67 for the 64 mile average, and I was tired, and my hands were killing me at the end. But, still had the same average.

As far as the hills, I hate them, so I attack to get them to get it over with. I average 13-17mph on the uphills, but after about 55 miles that became more difficult, and more like 10-11mph. My knee tendons also felt like they were bulging out after 60 miles.

Last edited by Rob_U; 07-12-10 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-11-10, 08:00 PM
kh6idf

Bikes: Cervelo RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually ride at 14-16 mph (no hills here) with no wind. With a headwind I seem to go about 12 and I've been up to 30 with a tailwind. I ride a Marin Fairfax.
Old 07-11-10, 08:03 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
14 ~ 16
Old 07-12-10, 05:10 AM
kevkwak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
14.5 - 16.5mph on my daily commute, ~ 10 miles each way... sure I could manage it faster without my camelback and really pushing.
Old 07-12-10, 06:22 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My average is between 18 and 21 mph on partly flat and partly hilly terrain doing both roads and some trails on 10 to 20 mile rides.
Old 07-12-10, 10:13 AM
Shepp30 

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Satellite Comp, '98 Schwinn Searcher GSX, '90 Schwinn Traveler, '87 Miyata 312, '87 Schwinn World Sport,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My daily ride of 20-25 miles of rolling hills is between 12-14 mph depending on wind and how I feel.

I rode 70 miles Saturday morning on the local paved bike path (flat) and averaged a fuzz over 14 mph for 4 hrs and 55 minutes.

Speed, for me anyway, doesn't come over night. I'm riding 400 miles per month and just hit 1600 for the year (starting March 7th). I am just now able to notice a bit of a difference. The wind and the hills are getting a bit easier every few weeks.

Looking back however, I was happy with 10 miles at 10MPH when I first started.

Last edited by Shepp30; 07-12-10 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 10:42 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10-12mph.
Old 07-12-10, 11:42 AM
pokey1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 to10.5 rolling terrain -- hence pokey1
Old 07-12-10, 12:02 PM
Exocet 98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
My average is between 18 and 21 mph on partly flat and partly hilly terrain doing both roads and some trails on 10 to 20 mile rides.
"I have a double hernia in both my back and my neck ... I can hardly move my left arm as I am typing this and will probably have to take a muscle relaxant very soon to reduce the pain and throbbing headache."
You sure about that Pinocchio??
Old 07-12-10, 12:55 PM
Coloradopenguin

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just had this discussion during a small group ride Saturday. Over the same relatively flat 30+ route, I consistently average 14 to 14.5 mph on my Specialized Sirrus Comp. Over a 35-mile course with a steady 2-3 percent grade, and two lengthy 5+ grade hills, I average about 13 -- trying to keep my pace above 10 on the steady grade, above 6 over the climbs, and flying back home.

Heat also had an impact -- below 80 degrees I'll consistently avg. about a mile per hour faster.

It's also interesting that on a 64 mile ride this spring, I rode with a couple of good roadies and avg. 16.5 over the first 40 miles but paid for it on the last leg -- ended with a 12.6 avg. speed. Same course on my own pace a month later, avg. 14 mph. Don't know if this is because I stayed within my comfort zone throughout the ride, or I was just in better shape ;-)

And don't ask my pace when I'm just out for a fun ride with lots of gawking!
Old 07-12-10, 06:34 PM
Talldog

Bikes: Several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In general, and no disrespect intended here, why would anyone care what their AVG speed is on a hybrid. I suppose if you are closely monitoring a fitness prgram then it would make sense, but even then there are variables that crop up that skew the usefulness of the stats. All I know is that some days I can ride very quickly, and other days I can't ... c'est la vie je suppose. But I do wish that I could someday approach the 18mph average that one poster (in a different thread) claimed with a stock Trek 7100. If I could do that, then I would start training for for the TDF (but not on a hybrid, LOL).
Old 07-12-10, 09:25 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Talldog
In general, and no disrespect intended here, why would anyone care what their AVG speed is on a hybrid. I suppose if you are closely monitoring a fitness prgram then it would make sense, but even then there are variables that crop up that skew the usefulness of the stats. All I know is that some days I can ride very quickly, and other days I can't ... c'est la vie je suppose. But I do wish that I could someday approach the 18mph average that one poster (in a different thread) claimed with a stock Trek 7100. If I could do that, then I would start training for for the TDF (but not on a hybrid, LOL).
I dont really see what the bike being a hybrid has to do with it. Some hybrids are so similar to road bikes that it surely can't be much of a stretch to figure out why somebody might care about speed.

You mentioned fitness reasons, which is why I track my speeds, so I wont go into that. But even if somebody is simply riding for the joy of it, it can still be neat to watch your average speeds increase over the months. Data feedback can also lead people to hop on their bike and strive for a new best, just for fun!

Anyway, I suspect this thread was originally started so people can get an idea of what is common on this bike type. Going from my wifes 7.1 FX to my 7.3FX for example got me 1.5mph. Good info to know.
Old 07-12-10, 09:55 PM
big_al

Bikes: Trek 7.7 and Trek superfly Al Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride 11-12 miles every morning for fitness and ony been riding for two months i average 12-12.5 mph
Old 07-12-10, 09:55 PM
SouthshoreMIL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the 10.5mph range. Did just under 8 miles in about 45 minutes today.

Still very out of shape and rehabbing a knee tendon issue, so I have to take it easy and avoid even downhill speeds that could help re-injure the tendon. Keeping the speeds down and emphasizing light spinning in lower gears has really helped.

Everyone has a different fitness level. I'm aiming toward a 10 mile ride, then I can set a new goal. When I got back on my bike earlier this year, 3 miles left me out of breath and nearly unable to walk. Any goals have to be set against your previous performance, not against someone else.
Old 07-12-10, 10:43 PM
Norboo

Bikes: Trek 5200 and Trek D.S. 8.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Talldog
Why people always start with “all due respect” "no disrespect intended” when they are about to insult someone?

Sorry talldog, not picking on ya, but I couldn’t resist
Old 07-12-10, 10:45 PM
Talldog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
I dont really see what the bike being a hybrid has to do with it. Some hybrids are so similar to road bikes that it surely can't be much of a stretch to figure out why somebody might care about speed.

You mentioned fitness reasons, which is why I track my speeds, so I wont go into that. But even if somebody is simply riding for the joy of it, it can still be neat to watch your average speeds increase over the months. Data feedback can also lead people to hop on their bike and strive for a new best, just for fun!

Anyway, I suspect this thread was originally started so people can get an idea of what is common on this bike type. Going from my wifes 7.1 FX to my 7.3FX for example got me 1.5mph. Good info to know.
To each his own I guess. For me, if speed were the important thing I would just ride my road bike. They are much faster period. I have no idea what is "common" with this type of bike. There are too many variables involved. I have four hybrids and they all roll differently, although I do know which one is the fastest for me. Some of these average speed reports on a hybrid are simply amazing. For instance, 18mph is somewhere around 30kph. On an upright bike not designed for out and out speed that is simply amazing.
Old 07-12-10, 10:55 PM
Talldog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Norboo
Why people always start with “all due respect” "no disrespect intended” when they are about to insult someone?

Sorry talldog, not picking on ya, but I couldn’t resist
For the same reason some people offer up the phrase "I couldn't resist" as some sort of validation.

But what it really means, at least to me, is that someone offers up a different opinion but wants to state up front that it is just that ... an opinion.
Old 07-13-10, 01:53 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Exocet 98
You sure about that Pinocchio??
Very sure. Doublechecked. Triplechecked.
Why do you ask?
Why do you constantly try to bug me (and fail at it)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.