Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to return to cycling after a 15 year break?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How to return to cycling after a 15 year break?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-20, 12:06 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by elae
... 15 years ... 30 pounds heavier ...barely made it 2 miles and I was done!

- What have you done to get back in shape?
BTDT, myself. Greater weight gain. Old injuries. Too much time elapsed with a "desk job" and not staying focused.

What worked for me:

1. Got into the gym, daily. Did lots of mild-to-moderate strength training, whole-body, functional movements. Yoga helped, as well.

2. Did lots of shorter (<4mi) brisk walks and hikes on trails. Gradually got speedier. Eventually selected steeper and more-challenging trails.

3. Got a cheapie step-through, single-speed bike (which helped with the leg injuries, allowing me to more easily get onto and off the bike). Gradually did longer rides, but taking my time and focusing on being speedy enough to place some demands on cardio and leg strength.

Within a year, with all of these things, I was able to get on a "proper" bike again, without troubles. Gearing's still an issue, with being low enough to aid my old injuries. But aside from that it's vastly better than it was. Cardio improved a lot. Muscle stamina, now, is night and day compared to what it was at the start. I can go 20mi on the bike, which is about all I want to do, though I can go a bit farther.

As for using a trainer for the bike, that'll certainly help. Others who do trainers can suggest useful setups, programs, workout routines to follow.

Congrats on getting back to cycling. Painful as it might be the first several months, in the end it's worth it.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 05-01-20, 12:38 PM
elae

Bikes: Litespeed - Arenberg | Specialized Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
BTDT, myself. Greater weight gain. Old injuries. Too much time elapsed with a "desk job" and not staying focused.

What worked for me:

1. Got into the gym, daily. Did lots of mild-to-moderate strength training, whole-body, functional movements. Yoga helped, as well.

2. Did lots of shorter (<4mi) brisk walks and hikes on trails. Gradually got speedier. Eventually selected steeper and more-challenging trails.

3. Got a cheapie step-through, single-speed bike (which helped with the leg injuries, allowing me to more easily get onto and off the bike). Gradually did longer rides, but taking my time and focusing on being speedy enough to place some demands on cardio and leg strength.

Within a year, with all of these things, I was able to get on a "proper" bike again, without troubles. Gearing's still an issue, with being low enough to aid my old injuries. But aside from that it's vastly better than it was. Cardio improved a lot. Muscle stamina, now, is night and day compared to what it was at the start. I can go 20mi on the bike, which is about all I want to do, though I can go a bit farther.

As for using a trainer for the bike, that'll certainly help. Others who do trainers can suggest useful setups, programs, workout routines to follow.

Congrats on getting back to cycling. Painful as it might be the first several months, in the end it's worth it.
Thank you for sharing. I like the idea of going to the gym and adding yoga. Activities I used to be very active in and seem to have fallen to the wayside. I’m gathering all the wonderful information that this group is sharing and looking forward to implementing it into my training and come back. This group has really inspired me ☺️
Wishing you the best!
Old 05-02-20, 08:22 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
My work schedule is very heavy right now. And, we live in an area that doesn't have a lot of safe bike routes near my home... I'll need to drive somewhere, park and ride, etc. So a trainer will help me increase my fitness level whist getting on the bike in the early morning at home, maybe set up in my office at work, or at home after work.
Given the heavy work schedule and need to park and ride you might enjoy having the option to ride a trainer when time doesn’t permit going outside. With two bikes you have the option to leave one set up on the trainer.
Dumb trainers are very economical and can readily be found used. Kurt Kinetic Road Machine or something similar is a low cost to test one out.
Old 05-02-20, 09:34 AM
elae

Bikes: Litespeed - Arenberg | Specialized Mountain Bike

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Fendertele
Kurt Kinetic Road Machine.
I ended up buying the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. It should arrive on May 4th! My husband and daughter are also buying bikes soon and we plan to ride together as a family. I look forward to this next chapter in my biking/cycling adventure :-)
Likes For elae:
Old 05-08-20, 07:25 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Friendly advice. Try to talk your husband into something similar to a Specialized Sirrus. Easier to ride than a mountain bike, easier to go faster, and arguably more comfortable.

It will be a great starter bike, and might evolve into a permanent fixture. Fit will be similar to the mountain bike he had, but much better for road and paved paths.

MHO,
Old 05-09-20, 02:18 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 1,198 Times in 690 Posts
Back on the bike.

- What have you done to get back in shape?
- I'm considering buying a bike trainer .... which one do you suggest for someone in my condition?
Similar story, aged 56 decided to get back to cycling
Rebuilt my 1979 Road bike, had to source larger cogs for the freewheel. I was unable to push the cogs I was using in my teens. Plus there are more hills here, or so I tell myself.
Purchased another (lighter) road bike. Wow more modern tech is wonderful. Haven't ridden the old bike since.
Had a couple of rides in high heat late last year that just about finished me.
Decided a Trainer would be a good investment for cold, wet, and too hot weather. Purchased Smart Trainer.
I now mix and match between the road bike and the Trainer. I have no excuses not to ride one or the other.

I'm getting faster and fitter.
I found a Fitbit to be a huge motivator. I can actually see my numbers changing in the Fitbit App long before I can feel the difference.
I've been watching my resting heart rate drop, and my Cardio fitness score increase. Mix that with tracking my rides on Strava and I can see myself improving.
Pun intended, but it is a up hill battle after ~20+ years sitting behind a desk.
I was hoping to get into some group rides, because those can also be quite motivational on a Sunday morning, when all you really want to do is pretend to be asleep so the wife goes and makes the coffee.
Obviously no group rides currently, fingers crossed for later in the year,

All the best

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 05-09-20 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-17-20, 12:24 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I caution you about riding with your daughter, especially if you hook up with a group.

She's a teenager, right? You may think about family bonding time, but she is very likely to get fast pretty quickly. She'll leave you in the dust without a qualm. And then the rest of the group will hassle you and your husband about getting her better equipment. Just sayin'....

How have you and one of your bikes been getting along? I was off my bike from aged 16 - 28, when I figured I could commute from my home to grad school campus by bike faster than by car. I had to crawl up stairs after my first 2 mile ride. I was commuting 5 miles (each way) to campus in no time. If you've been riding, you probably know what I mean by now.
Old 05-18-20, 12:42 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
My work schedule is very heavy right now. And, we live in an area that doesn't have a lot of safe bike routes near my home... I'll need to drive somewhere, park and ride, etc. So a trainer will help me increase my fitness level whist getting on the bike in the early morning at home, maybe set up in my office at work, or at home after work.
Technically I started back riding in September 2018. Actually broke my self imposed 25 year bicycle exile at that time but during the fall of 2018 I probably rode about 250 miles total then put the bike away for the winter.

Last spring I started back in a more determined fashion but still maybe 600 miles from April to September 2019. This includes a metric century and another 40 mile organized ride. At that point I had to take a medical leave of absence but in the fog of (last) summer I purchased a used fluid trainer (Kinetic RM) which I promptly stashed in the garage.

Got the trainer out, got it working and picked up a few additional goodies for it and on November 13, 2019, I opened up an account on Zwift. Between that date and April 30 I rode 3000 virtual miles and climbed 250,000 feet of elevation. Now today, with the new riding season upon us, people that I rode with last year cannot believe I'm the same rider as last year. I'm doing a once a week metric century plus other training and recreational rides.

The thing a trainer offers is convenience. You come home from work, even if it's dark outside you hop on your bike and ride. Services like Zwift offer relief from the tedium of a trainer and there are all kinds of rides, races, tours and training programs. Not trying to sell anyone anything but this camper two years ago couldn't ride a mile without being totally winded and exhausted. And now I'm riding 150-200 miles per week.
Old 05-19-20, 09:01 AM
oldlady62

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I haven't ridden in about 15 years. I used to commute to work before I relocated. I can tell you that my first day commuting to work it took me an hour to go 5 miles. But it got easier every week. I used to have to get off my bicycle and walk up the hill to my house. Some "fit" woman told me there was a reason I had a triple crankset. LOL! That's right, I couldn't even do it with a triple in the beginning. So, just start. Don't wait another day. Have fun!
Old 05-19-20, 12:03 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
commute, then you have to ride
Old 05-29-20, 06:02 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
In December 2019 I weighed a, for me, obese 86kg and hadn't ridden a bike for more than 20km on a single ride or more than about 100km in total over the previous 15 or so years. For someone who lived and breathed cycle racing in his youth it was unthinkable that it happened.

In January 2019, I went on a diet and hit the gym and started cycling again - using an e-bike! Which I thoroughly recommend btw as a way to ease yourself into cycling. By the end of March, I weighed 66kg and felt much healthier. In June I ditched the e-bike for a regular all-me powered one and got fitter, stronger, chased Strava KOM's, got them, started racing again - came 5th in my first race in November (age group that is, out of 54 and 21st out of 277 overall).

I'm 65kg now, far stronger and still getting fitter and faster and hope to get on the podium when racing eventually resumes.

In my case I missed my love of being outdoors cycling and accepted I had turned myself into a has-been and a slob who needed to wake up and stop wasting time that could be spent enjoying the sport I am passionate about. It wasn't easy, I had knee issues, felt my age and slower metabolism but once I got over that initial starting period, I never looked back and I'm just so happy I did this. Life is so much better, being healthier, being outdoors riding, meeting new people, gaining new friends.
Old 05-29-20, 08:12 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I took a 20 year hiatus After finishing graduate school, it was more convenient to drive than ride. After I started working in downtown DC, the reverse was true, so back on the bike. People do what is most convenient. I discovered that current US bikes were rubbish -- no fenders, chain guards, or lights -- they really went to hell after 1977. If you shop around and are willing to import from Germany or Holland, you can do OK. As a utility cyclist, you don't care if it is hot, cold, snowing, hailing or a hurricane. When it's time to do the mission, you do the mission. Sport/recreation riders don't think like this, and they gripe about motivation.

If you are tired after 2 miles, you were riding too hard. Slow down and finish the trip. Keep finishing trips, and you will start getting faster. When I returned to cycling, it was a 10 mile round trip to work and back. Didn't matter -- taster than driving, easier than the Metro. That was enough.

For me. the bike is a tool to get to work and back. Car is for fun. Best way to benefit from a bike is to make it your primary transportation. If I didn't have to ride, I would never ride. I was at 2,500-6,000 miles a year before the virus forced me to work at home. Now, it's about 200.

1) Don't care if 'i'm ever in shape -- .too old (73) to make varsity. On the other hand, I do want to keep passing my flight physical. That's why I'll start riding to work again once they open up my office. That and the beauty of a sunrise while crossing the 14th Street Bridge and the fresh tire tracks in the snow during the winter.

2( If it won't take you to work or to the store/restaurant, it's useless. We have a Nordic Track in the basement. Good for laundry, so we keep it.

3) I have no idea what accountability support is
Old 05-30-20, 05:28 AM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
I relate to so many of these posts as I too have just returned from a similar hiatus. Good reading.

My story: in my late 20s as I was finishing law school in Philly I got into rock climbing and eventually mountaineering. I graduated and moved to Harrisburg and immediately went to the only shop selling climbing gear to find fellow climbers. Years later and still climbing, near and far, the climbing shop owner made a deal with a bike shop owner. I was doing some teaching for the shop so I got in on it and soon had my first real bike, a Nishiki International.

Marriage, babies, my job all dovetailed with riding far more easily than disappearing in a remote mt range and my climbing buddies were now my riding buddies. I bought a custom frame from a builder in Lititz, PA and polished my campy bearings often! 15 yrs later, in 1993, I bought a Merlin titanium, campy bike, and rode. Raced both bikes and was a good amateur racer winning $5 gift certificates for placing in short time trials. I was a cat 4 rider for a year. Then came fly fishing. Want an interest that involves as many detailed equipment choices as biking? There are thousands of variables, taking years of practice, experimenting and reading.....well, the bikes grew dusty.

Late fall 2019, at 68, I’m convinced by two of my long time climbing, biking, fishing buddies, now living one in OR, one in WA, to join them on an Eroica ride in CA. 81 miler, no problem. Then I read that it involves about 7k ft of climbing on a qualifying vintage bike with old pedals, down tube shifters etc. My lowest gear Is a 42 x 21. Yikes.

I’ll compress this you indulgent readers. Wife got me a Wahoo and I trained all winter. Yes, I was shocked that I was slow, incapable of real power, endurance etc etc. I rode outside as the weather permitted. The same. Slow and powerless. Eventually.....you get it...a little better. And the mental part really is what carries one to a good place. Lost weight, looking fit for near 70, bragging rights!
A few days ago, I picked up my 27 year old Merlin from the shop where it was purchased those many years ago, sporting a new 12 speed Campy Chorus gruppo and new wheels. Lighter, looking new and with gears! Today’s ride climbs 4K ft over two mts and otherwise all rolling terrain in beautiful farmland. My 50 yr old fellow rider will make me anaerobic at the start but I’ll be kind and wait for him along the home stretches.
Let’s take the pleasure as we can. Best,
jim

Last edited by jleeg; 05-30-20 at 06:17 AM.
Likes For jleeg:
Old 06-01-20, 09:01 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
You might consider a recumbent or a trike.
Old 06-01-20, 09:10 AM
big john

Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,023 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
. If I didn't have to ride, I would never ride.
I'm not knocking that or trying to pick a fight but how did you end up on a forum like this?
Old 06-01-20, 11:10 AM
oldlady62

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I feel so much better. Thank you. Today I rode for the first time in 7 years. I rode 1 mile. Okay, 1.03 miles!!! I also used to ride daily at many points in my life. I'd usually ride about 200+ miles a week at my peak, yes, working full time. So, 1 mile. It's a start. I know I will get better. So will you. <3

(And thanks to the COVID, I want a new bike. LOL! Also, I have an old Garmin Edge 200 that still works, so I can compete with myself.)

Hi there,

I recently had my bike tuned up at our local bike shop and jumped on the bike to take a ride. I barely made it 2 miles and I was done!

Thanks so much!
elae
Old 06-01-20, 12:05 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by oldlady62
I feel so much better. Thank you. Today I rode for the first time in 7 years. I rode 1 mile. Okay, 1.03 miles!!! I also used to ride daily at many points in my life. I'd usually ride about 200+ miles a week at my peak, yes, working full time. So, 1 mile. It's a start. I know I will get better. So will you. <3

(And thanks to the COVID, I want a new bike. LOL! Also, I have an old Garmin Edge 200 that still works, so I can compete with myself.)
Good for you and I really mean this. I posted #58 in this thread so I will not repeat myself. My absolute 1st ride after 25 years came shortly after I purchased new tires and tubes for my mid-80's road bike. I was doing my best to put off that first ride but finally I ran out of excuses.

I live on a street that is 0.7 miles long. It starts out at 8% grade for about 350 feet of incline, then levels out for about 0.3 mile then continues another 0.2 miles at 8%. I live on the flat part so my first ride was there, I lasted to about 0.1 mile on the incline, turned around and coasted home, total ride less than 0.6 miles. I thought that my lungs were going to literally pop out of my chest.

So from my experience younglady62 your ride was twice as long as mine. Now, 18 months after my first ride: On Thursday I did 20 miles on my trainer using Zwift. Friday I did a metric century on my hybred bike. Saturday I did yardwork and picked up a new puppy for Mrs. Thomas15. Sunday I did two rides, 20 miles with a friend, then 20 miles on my trainer. For the week I did 158 miles and climbed 8500 feet of vertical. I still work full time i'm also 62. I don't even know you but since you took the time to post this it is obvious that you are going to continue. I'm proud of you!

Last edited by Thomas15; 06-01-20 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 04:26 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I'm not knocking that or trying to pick a fight but how did you end up on a forum like this?
LOL Because riding is essential to me. It's the easiest and most practical way for me to get to work. Just because I find it hard to ride for any reason other than utility, it doesn't mean I don't enjoy riding.
Old 06-01-20, 05:24 PM
big john

Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,023 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
LOL Because riding is essential to me. It's the easiest and most practical way for me to get to work. Just because I find it hard to ride for any reason other than utility, it doesn't mean I don't enjoy riding.
It didn't seem like you enjoy cycling, it even seemed a little bitter. Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. It's been a huge part of my life for 35+ years and the bulk of my social life with 100 group rides per year. I did ride to work a few times but I didn't like it. Riding in was ok and took nearly the same amount of time as driving but riding home while exhausted was miserable especially when it was hot.
Old 06-05-20, 01:36 AM
Mixbury

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just stumbled upon this thread having recently returned to cycling during the lockdown.

I retrieved my 1985 Alex Moulton AM7 out of storage after 30 years and have been back in the saddle for similar reasons to other posters. I concur with many of the comments above.

First time out 3 miles left me feeling hopelessly unfit, but it wasn't long before I was enjoying 20 mile rides and starting to put in respectable times on segments. I have combined faster shorter rides with longer rides at touring speeds, and would recommend observing rest days after a hard day when you've achieved a step up in performance to give the old muscles a chance at recovery. Someone mentioned stem height, and this is definitely the case for me; I need to sort this as my 18yo riding position is not so comfortable anymore! I'd also recommend sensors and a computer: the metrics presented in something like Strava provide encouragement as the graphs swing up and the times start to drop. Also a chest strap to monitor heart rate.

I'm still not a fan of hills and headwinds, but it is very rewarding maintaining a good cruise speed at steady cadence on a long stretch of road and feeling you could keep that up all day.

If anyone is reading this and needs encouragement - go for it.
Likes For Mixbury:
Old 06-08-20, 01:08 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
You have the bike. All you need to do is ride it. You will develop fitness as you ride. I would think that in a few weeks or maybe a month you'll be doing 20-30 miles per ride and you will feel pretty good.
Old 07-22-21, 02:13 PM
mariank

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 1 road; Fuji Absolute 1 hybrid; NorcoXFR2 trail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the encouragement

I happened upon this thread last night, the eve of me getting back on my road bike after a 5+ year hiatus. At 63, I was feeling a bit nervous. Your encouragement and advice given here also encouraged me, and I'm proud to report that I was able to put in 6.5 miles at a slow pace without forgetting that I was clipped in and taking a fall. This thread was exactly what I needed to just do it!