Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Studdable tires...

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Studdable tires...

Old 02-24-20, 05:32 PM
onandoff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Studdable tires...

I am new to Fatbikes and just bought one. The tires are 27.5 x 4 Cake Eaters studdable. It came with the studs and tool. We are now not quite at the end of winter here, still have a combo of snow, ice and bare gravel. Am I able to ride it and then later stud the tires without worrying about krud in the stud holes ? I'm not sure how much I will use the bike in the other 3 seasons. Should I buy other tires for the 3 seasons and swap twice a year ? Thank you in advance.
Old 02-26-20, 10:36 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
You'll most likely have to dig grit and dirt out of the stud pockets. It's a pain. I use a separate wheel/tire set for studded tires. They sell little buttons you can put in the stud pockets to keep junk out of them, fwiw. I have no idea how well they work. https://www.fyxation.com/products/co...-kit-100-studs
Likes For 5teve:
Old 02-28-20, 08:13 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Install one wheel and you'll understand Steve's reco. Removing isn't much fun either.
Old 02-28-20, 08:21 PM
onandoff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for the responses. I have purchased 2 three season tires. I will leave the tubes in and swap between studded and regular.

​​​​​
Likes For onandoff:
Old 02-29-20, 07:41 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by onandoff
Thank you for the responses. I have purchased 2 three season tires. I will leave the tubes in and swap between studded and regular.

​​​​​
what are the other tires you went with? I know a few guys riding Cake Eaters and they really like them.
Planning to build a 27.5 fat set this year so may choices are limited.
Old 02-29-20, 10:20 AM
onandoff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought 2 take off maxxis 27.5x3.8 minions. I receive my bike next week. I wanted to buy 4.5 wide for the front but am not sure if they will be too wide for the fork clearance.