Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Posting some info from another member re Coronovirus

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Posting some info from another member re Coronovirus

Old 03-26-20, 12:45 PM
  #226  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,197

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked 2,507 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
Ka-Blam.

Coronavirus has been downgraded to an infectious disease – like the flu

Has this been picked up yet by any of the media outlets in Canada or the USA?


They're a little busy with this:
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coro...e-day/2344831/
livedarklions is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 01:29 PM
  #227  
Jicafold
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
Ka-Blam.

Coronavirus has been downgraded to an infectious disease – like the flu

Has this been picked up yet by any of the media outlets in Canada or the USA?
So?
Jicafold is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 01:38 PM
  #228  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 12,078

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5778 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 278 Posts
"Hey .... if we call it by a different name it won't be as deadly, right?"

Pardon, I am going to paste some Pinarello stickers on my $120 Walmart mountain bike so it rides like an F-10.

Anyway .... I think this one has run its course .... you guys stick around and have fun. I have done enough good to balance out the harm I have done here, so I am making a getaway.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 05:25 PM
  #229  
Jicafold
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
"Hey .... if we call it by a different name it won't be as deadly, right?"

Pardon, I am going to paste some Pinarello stickers on my $120 Walmart mountain bike so it rides like an F-10.

Anyway .... I think this one has run its course .... you guys stick around and have fun. I have done enough good to balance out the harm I have done here, so I am making a getaway.
So when you leave a thread you need to announce your departure? Should we care? That's called narcissism.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 07:43 PM
  #230  
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious
 
SHBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster View Post
Nucleic acid, is in RNA or DNA, is the most specific SARS-Cov-2 testing in existence. So, that should clear that up for you. (I perform that “better than nothing” type of testing.)
Great!

Also take note, this is what the "authorities" "say".

What actually happens could be something entirely different, hence my skepticism. (anyone who has lived in China knows this)

Are you on the front lines?
SHBR is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 08:26 PM
  #231  
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious
 
SHBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
The show must go on!

The death march continues.

Thousands of US Troops Will Be Stuck Overseas Under Sweeping New Travel Ban
The Pentagon has released new details on an expanded halt-movement order that will force tens of thousands of troops deployed overseas to stay there until the spread of a deadly global pandemic begins to slow.
Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Wednesday enacted a 60-day overseas travel prohibition for troops, their accompanying family members and Defense Department personnel. The new rules, which expand on existing travel bans, essentially bar all U.S. personnel from any international travel.
Italy Reports Largest Jump In New Cases This Week
Italy's Civil Protection Agency reported the largest jump in new cases in five days on Thursday, dealing yet another blow to hopes that cases might finally be peaking in the current 'epicenter' of the global outbreak.
US now has highest number of coronavirus cases
The United States now has the highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the world, according to data gathered both by Johns Hopkins University and The New York Times.
Orange man proposes dividing US by risk levels
Orange man, keen for an early lifting of economically costly social distancing measures against the coronavirus, said on Thursday he would propose dividing the United States by risk levels.
Record number of Americans file for unemployment
With streets in major cities empty, and shops and restaurants forced to close due to the coronavirus pandemic, there was a record explosion of Americans filing for unemployment benefits.
China to block most foreigners from entering country
The Foreign Ministry on Thursday said China will block most foreigners from entering the mainland -- including those with valid visas and residence permits -- to stem the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. The measures will take effect from Saturday. Entry by foreign nationals with APEC business cards will also be suspended, as will a number of transit visas and visa-free arrangements. It's the latest in a series of measures announced on Thursday that also make it harder for Chinese citizens to travel overseas and return home.

The foreign ministry stressed the suspension was a temporary measure that China had been compelled to take in light of the outbreak. The only exceptions appear to be for diplomats - though it said foreign nationals coming to China for necessary trade, economic, scientific, technological or humanitarian needs could still apply.
The new restrictions were announced shortly after the mainland's civil aviation authority said China would also drastically cut its international flight routes to stop imported virus cases.

Flights out of China will be capped at just one route a week to each country, with international airlines also permitted only one route. <--just like North Korea!

And, Guangdong authorities say all arrivals from overseas - including Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan - must now undergo quarantine and testing from 6 am on Friday. The arrivals are to be quarantined at designated locations for 14 days - with expenses paid by the person in quarantine.
Watch live as ULA's Atlas V rocket lifts off from Cape Canaveral with the AEHF-6 mission for the U.S. Space Force Space and Missile Systems Center.


Last edited by SHBR; 03-26-20 at 08:30 PM.
SHBR is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 08:33 PM
  #232  
AdkMtnMonster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Off the front
Posts: 252

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
Great!

Also take note, this is what the "authorities" "say".

What actually happens could be something entirely different, hence my skepticism. (anyone who has lived in China knows this)

Are you on the front lines?
Front lines? My wife works on a clinical care floor, I'm in the laboratory. She's on the edge of the battle, I'm sitting back in the area that gets shelled, so to speak.

There's still a long ways to go for us as a nation to get through this, and there's going to be a lot of unity as people start coming together more, even at a safe physical distance. We all depend on each other, each other's compliance, and common courtesy. This is still in the "getting worse every hour" stage, but it will not beat us. We will win. It takes a nation. It takes a planet. Stay safe, stay sane, wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, say thank you, tell people that you care about them, and let's all persevere with the strength of the whole human race behind us!
AdkMtnMonster is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 08:34 PM
  #233  
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious
 
SHBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
So when you leave a thread you need to announce your departure? Should we care? That's called narcissism.
So what?

I think a little self confidence would go a LONG way right now.
SHBR is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 08:36 PM
  #234  
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious
 
SHBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster View Post
Front lines? My wife works on a clinical care floor, I'm in the laboratory. She's on the edge of the battle, I'm sitting back in the area that gets shelled, so to speak.

There's still a long ways to go for us as a nation to get through this, and there's going to be a lot of unity as people start coming together more, even at a safe physical distance. We all depend on each other, each other's compliance, and common courtesy. This is still in the "getting worse every hour" stage, but it will not beat us. We will win. It takes a nation. It takes a planet. Stay safe, stay sane, wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, say thank you, tell people that you care about them, and let's all persevere with the strength of the whole human race behind us!
I'm hopeful, its all about having the right attitude.

SHBR is offline  
Old 03-27-20, 07:33 AM
  #235  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,186
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked 525 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
Ka-Blam.

Coronavirus has been downgraded to an infectious disease – like the flu

Has this been picked up yet by any of the media outlets in Canada or the USA?
This does not mean what you seem to think it means.

There is a reason that the people trying to misinform you only show you that screenshot, rather than the actual link to the actual page: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-con...us-of-covid-19

If you actually look at the REST of the information on that page, you will see that the significance of this designation refers to who is in charge of managing it, and what facilities are authorized to handle cases. It still recommends social distancing of 2 meters, and staying home unless you must go to work.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-27-20 at 10:48 AM.
Kapusta is offline  
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-27-20, 10:10 AM
  #236  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,197

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked 2,507 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
This does not mean what you seem to think it means.

That is why it is not reported much. It is actually utterly inconsequential.

I thought it meant all those people who died of it were misinformed about its lethality. Very comforting.

Death rate is lower because more people are getting it than first thought, correct? Still going to be a lot of dead people.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 03-27-20, 02:22 PM
  #237  
skookum
cyclotourist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: calgary, canada
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I thought it meant all those people who died of it were misinformed about its lethality. Very comforting.

Death rate is lower because more people are getting it than first thought, correct? Still going to be a lot of dead people.
Still not a good situation. Just less bad. It likely won't destroy western civilization, but if you're dead that won't make any difference anyway.
skookum is offline  
Old 03-27-20, 02:26 PM
  #238  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,197

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked 2,507 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
Still not a good situation. Just less bad. It likely won't destroy western civilization, but if you're dead that won't make any difference anyway.
It really isn't less bad. Diseases can be too fatal to spread rapidly, so they end up killing far fewer people than diseases with a lower fatality rate.

No one's postulating the end of western civilization from this one.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 03-27-20, 04:51 PM
  #239  
skookum
cyclotourist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: calgary, canada
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
It really isn't less bad. Diseases can be too fatal to spread rapidly, so they end up killing far fewer people than diseases with a lower fatality rate.

No one's postulating the end of western civilization from this one.
I understand your point. On the other hand if the fatality rate is very low there will be a large number of people infected with lesser symptoms, who will then be immune. This limits the spread of the disease as there will be fewer susceptible people to infect. I really dont think we know where we sit on this curve at this point.

I was being facetious about the end of western civilization. Some of the hotter takes on social media tend in this direction. Not you, obviously.
skookum is offline  
Likes For skookum:
Old 03-28-20, 12:04 AM
  #240  
Zen10NiN
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
Enough with arguing, personal insults, and attacks towards each other. It’s an obviously stressful time. But that’s not an excuse for some of these posts that do nothing but start or escalate arguments.
you are really something StanSeven. Can you please explain to me what rules I broke by expressing dissatisfaction with the functionality of this site? Is it against the rules to say Jesus Christ in the forums? Did this merit me getting banned from a forum?
Zen10NiN is offline  
Old 03-28-20, 03:29 AM
  #241  
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 17,899

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked 1,117 Times in 711 Posts
Thread closed for moderator review.
cb400bill is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.