Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Texas

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Texas

Old 03-30-20, 06:46 AM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 613 Posts
I don't think these are bluebonnets, I saw them in Palo Duro Canyon on the Brazos River (pronounced Hudson River).

Scanned from a Fujichrome slide

I had a great trip to the Panhandle. Very interesting experience, a great way to leave this universe while staying at home. They bury Cadillacs there, you know?
Old 03-30-20, 07:07 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 87 Guerciotti, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 08 Lemond Filmore, 12 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Washington

Looks like TX rain not Seattle mist
Likes For joesch:
Old 03-30-20, 07:14 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 87 Guerciotti, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 08 Lemond Filmore, 12 Cervelo R3

Weekend DFW update, the weather was gorgeous, low 70s, little humidity and wind.
Allergens also did not seem too bad.
Got in two long rides and barely broke a sweat.
Unfortunately too many were enjoying at both Whiterock and Katy trails and as a result quarantines are now being considered.

Bet the same case for the Austin river trails ?
Likes For joesch:
Old 03-30-20, 10:21 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 917 Times in 614 Posts
Interstate 40 where most people travel is where the view of Texas is all flat comes from.

Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-30-20, 11:57 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2784 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 164 Posts
Flat lands just have more sky.
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 03-30-20, 04:23 PM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Interstate 40 where most people travel is where the view of Texas is all flat comes from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO__1VdQqbc
Flat is an understatement. Approaching Palo Duro Canyon there is a sign "Canyon Entrance 1/4 mile". I remember thinking "WTF? I can see 5 miles up the road there ain't no Holy Moly! Where did this come from!" Palo Duro Canyon is beautiful, got to see my first non-cartoon roadrunner there.

My friends in Amarillo took me out for a steak dinner. "Just out of town" they said. Seems like we left at 4:30pm and got there after 6. I should have known this was going to be special when I got out of the car in this 4 or 5 acre parking lot that was paved, well, paved is not really the word, covered is better, with beer bottle caps. At least 3 inches deep, maybe even feet deep in beer caps. We go in to the dining room and the waitress asks me what I'm drinking. I order a martini, up with an olive. She looks at me like I just spoke Mandarin Chinese. "Light or regular, we ain't got no mar-ti-nees." "Okay, regular" "How you want your steak" "Maybe a 6 ounce or so filet cooked medium rare" "Listen, funny guy you want your steak cooked or not?" "Medium" Steak, home-cut fries and beer is all they offered. The original limited menu. We got there early and by the time we had all drank the requisite 10 beers and digested the steak and potatoes the parking lot had filled up. Now I'm from Jawja and I've seen pickemup trucks all my life but out in that 4 acre lot that night were more pickemups that I've ever seen in one place in Jawja except at a junkyard. I was real disappointed not to see a Cadillac with steer horns on the hood.

I
Old 03-30-20, 05:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11180 Post(s)
Liked 2,780 Times in 1,546 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I read gas is now self service in OR due to covid. Not really sure how that makes sense.
People are also pushing for that in NJ now. Guess the thinking is that infection from surfaces is less likely than from relatively close distance. Or maybe itís because you should put yourself at risk if you want gas and not the attendants.
Old 03-30-20, 05:37 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Flat is an understatement. Approaching Palo Duro Canyon there is a sign "Canyon Entrance 1/4 mile". I remember thinking "WTF? I can see 5 miles up the road there ain't no Holy Moly! Where did this come from!" Palo Duro Canyon is beautiful, got to see my first non-cartoon roadrunner there.

My friends in Amarillo took me out for a steak dinner. "Just out of town" they said. Seems like we left at 4:30pm and got there after 6. I should have known this was going to be special when I got out of the car in this 4 or 5 acre parking lot that was paved, well, paved is not really the word, covered is better, with beer bottle caps. At least 3 inches deep, maybe even feet deep in beer caps. We go in to the dining room and the waitress asks me what I'm drinking. I order a martini, up with an olive. She looks at me like I just spoke Mandarin Chinese. "Light or regular, we ain't got no mar-ti-nees." "Okay, regular" "How you want your steak" "Maybe a 6 ounce or so filet cooked medium rare" "Listen, funny guy you want your steak cooked or not?" "Medium" Steak, home-cut fries and beer is all they offered. The original limited menu. We got there early and by the time we had all drank the requisite 10 beers and digested the steak and potatoes the parking lot had filled up. Now I'm from Jawja and I've seen pickemup trucks all my life but out in that 4 acre lot that night were more pickemups that I've ever seen in one place in Jawja except at a junkyard. I was real disappointed not to see a Cadillac with steer horns on the hood.

I
Reminds me of
from the most excellent movie Hell or High Water."
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 03-30-20, 05:40 PM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Close, very, very close.

Scary close.
Old 03-30-20, 07:02 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '83 Bianchi Nuovo Racing v2,'74ish Windsor Carrera Sport, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 141 Posts

I
Sounds exactly like the steak place I went to outside of... well, it really isn't outside of anywhere, it's more like 4 hours WSW of Fort Worth in the middle of between nowhere and nowhere else. I had the idea that, since I'm living in Texas I should go about getting a good steak. I think my screw-up was not ordering the 42 oz slab. I think if you order anything under 24 oz they just toss some old bootleather on the grill for a couple seconds each side and serve it up with some half-warm green beans out of a can and a potato wedge from the bused plates.

OTOH being clearly not a local I think it was a no-win proposition from the start. If you're not from there you'd better be exuding an undying gratitude for having landed in God's country whilst simultaneously communicating sincere apologies for having the audacity of having been born elsewhere.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-30-20, 07:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

I
is a martini with an olive? Is that a new type of beer?
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-30-20, 07:33 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
Sounds exactly like the steak place I went to outside of... well, it really isn't outside of anywhere, it's more like 4 hours WSW of Fort Worth in the middle of between nowhere and nowhere else. I had the idea that, since I'm living in Texas I should go about getting a good steak. I think my screw-up was not ordering the 42 oz slab. I think if you order anything under 24 oz they just toss some old bootleather on the grill for a couple seconds each side and serve it up with some half-warm green beans out of a can and a potato wedge from the bused plates.

OTOH being clearly not a local I think it was a no-win proposition from the start. If you're not from there you'd better be exuding an undying gratitude for having landed in God's country whilst simultaneously communicating sincere apologies for having the audacity of having been born elsewhere.
No Way! All new born babies are born in Texas. Whoever told you otherwise is BSing you.
Old 03-30-20, 08:10 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Road Map

String
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-30-20, 09:40 PM
desconhecido 

Back in the late 70s, before I moved to Texas to become oilfield trash, I served in the army. We would go to Ft Bliss about twice a year for 2-3 weeks at a time. Back then, the two favorite El Paso places were Grigg's which served Southwestern food in a New Mexico style -- sort of like TexMex only better, and a steakhouse in Fabens called Cattleman's. Best thing there was a giant porterhouse. Griggs closed a long time ago, but it appears that Cattleman's in Fabens is still there. 3808 reviews with a 4.7 out of 5 average.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 03-31-20, 08:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

I
Yup, you are cruising flat land then there is a big crack called Palo Duro Canyon. I believe it is the divided point between the high plains and the southern plains. It reminds me on approach to Death Valley when the Earth falls into a giant hole. Death Valley was awesome standing at a point that is 90 feet below sea level. Now that is being in the hole .
Old 03-31-20, 11:18 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by desconhecido View Post
Back in the late 70s, before I moved to Texas to become oilfield trash, I served in the army. We would go to Ft Bliss about twice a year for 2-3 weeks at a time. Back then, the two favorite El Paso places were Grigg's which served Southwestern food in a New Mexico style -- sort of like TexMex only better, and a steakhouse in Fabens called Cattleman's. Best thing there was a giant porterhouse. Griggs closed a long time ago, but it appears that Cattleman's in Fabens is still there. 3808 reviews with a 4.7 out of 5 average.
Yes Sir. I found a video for the steak house in Fabens here it is. Next time Iím cruising out west Iím going to get a steak here will never past this by again!

Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 04-01-20, 09:02 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500/400, '89 Schwinn Le Tour, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 494 Times in 342 Posts
...speaking of Cadillac Ranch & jersey, some beauties in this video

Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 04-01-20, 10:08 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 517 Posts
Truck hauling toilet paper catches fire on Texas interstate

A sad day for North Texas.

Truck hauling toilet paper catches fire on Texas interstate

Last edited by FiftySix; 04-01-20 at 01:19 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 04-01-20, 05:02 PM
desconhecido 

Yes Sir. I found a video for the steak house in Fabens here it is. Next time Iím cruising out west Iím going to get a steak here will never past this by again!
Thats a nice video. Last time we were in El Paso was probably about 1982 and we made a trip out to Fabens. The restaurant business is a tough, tough business and a lot of really great places just don't make it. Lots of times because management loses control of the debt service, Nice to see a really great place is going strong after 45 years or so.
Old 04-01-20, 06:09 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 200 Posts
Our local news person described the contents of a trailer that had burned was carrying precious cargo before revealing it was TP.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 04-01-20, 06:44 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 517 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
Our local news person described the contents of a trailer that had burned was carrying precious cargo before revealing it was TP.
Lol.
Old 04-02-20, 07:27 AM
joesch

New Braunfels, Fredericksburg, most of the Texas hill country was settle by German immigrants. The towns have Octoberfest with traditional German cultural stuff like beer real beer not Keystone Light Wurstfest too, full of German foods like sausage and sauerkraut. My maternal grandparents could speak German. Popular waterpark called Schiltterbahn... plenty of German cultural influences in Texas.
Hopefully both the Tour de Gruene and Wurstfest can happen later this year around beginning of Nov. I would love to participate again.
Old 04-02-20, 09:51 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by joesch View Post
Hopefully both the Tour de Gruene and Wurstfest can happen later this year around beginning of Nov. I would love to participate again.
That area is fun in the summer with toobing the rivers to the music venues and the reservoirs. The near future doesnít look to good but hopefully things will come back.
Old 04-02-20, 07:14 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 200 Posts
What two countries border Texas?
Answer: Mexico and the United States.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 04-02-20, 07:36 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '83 Bianchi Nuovo Racing v2,'74ish Windsor Carrera Sport, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
What two countries border Texas?
Answer: Mexico and the United States.
You forgot Oklahoma

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.