Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using stripped cranks?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Using stripped cranks?

Old 03-31-20, 09:55 PM
disco_kevin30

Bikes: Bianchi Europa, 1971 Dawes Galaxy, Peugeot Competition, Peugeot Super Competition, Panasonic DX-4000, Trek 610, Raleigh Technium Tri-Lite, Centurion Le Mans RS, Takara Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Using stripped cranks?

I have drilled Stronglight cranks that have a fairly stripped bolt area. The threads are semi present, but they definitely dont look good and I plan to order the proper remover so I can ascertain if they are completely ruined or moderately functional. I think I have decided to use them anyway on an upcoming build (Peugeot PKN 10) because they are otherwise in perfect shape. My logic is, I may as well use them and just count on having to destroy them at a point in the future vs not using them at all and just recycling them. I dont mind having to resort to worst case scenario removal if I can get some more life out of them. Has anyone else here knowingly used a part that was damaged and resigned themselves to dealing with a potential hassle down the road?
Old 03-31-20, 10:01 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Yup, and it was a BB on a 20 year old kid's bike. Since it will get handed down to another kid I might end up having to deal with it but I suspect it'll be someone else's problem in 20 years. The bike is only for them to ride to school and loan to friends for joining us on rides and its not like those threads do anything to hold the crank on.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-01-20, 04:35 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You can always get the cranks off with a pair of Jacobs chuck wedges.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-01-20, 07:04 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
You can always get the cranks off with a pair of Jacobs chuck wedges.
Or with a pickle fork.

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-01-20, 08:25 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts

Can I rethread a crankarm?

https://www.bikeforums.net/13293342-post15.html

https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...ractor-system/

...it took me years to find someone selling of these, and I can't remember who it was. I have had trouble ordering the replacement adapters that refit your crank to standard. But as long as I have the oversized puller, I can just use it to pull those crank arms that have been rethreaded oversized. It is expensive, and you need more than one Stronglight stripped crank to justify purchase. It's a great tool, but it's too bad they are so difficult to come by.

Anyway, there are some other solutions in the linked old thread above.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-01-20, 08:40 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Used with some caution, Jacobs chuck wedges are a non-destructive, non-damaging way to remove a square taper crank. The wedges are relatively inexpensive and available from any industrial supply house or even on Amazon. I believe the #6 taper is the recommended size.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 04-01-20, 09:07 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

Can I rethread a crankarm?

https://www.bikeforums.net/13293342-post15.html

https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...ractor-system/

...it took me years to find someone selling of these, and I can't remember who it was. I have had trouble ordering the replacement adapters that refit your crank to standard. But as long as I have the oversized puller, I can just use it to pull those crank arms that have been rethreaded oversized. It is expensive, and you need more than one Stronglight stripped crank to justify purchase. It's a great tool, but it's too bad they are so difficult to come by.

Anyway, there are some other solutions in the linked old thread above.
It can be purchased directly from Jim Stein. The guy is a real gentleman. Answers the phone himself and always willing to help.
I have one and it works great.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 04-02-20, 10:43 AM
Laingod

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can always ride it as it is, eventually the crank arm will simply fall off, that will be the time to change it
Likes For Laingod:
Old 04-03-20, 11:32 PM
disco_kevin30

Bikes: Bianchi Europa, 1971 Dawes Galaxy, Peugeot Competition, Peugeot Super Competition, Panasonic DX-4000, Trek 610, Raleigh Technium Tri-Lite, Centurion Le Mans RS, Takara Grand Touring

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. The wedges look like a good way to take care of this particular situation. I may pick them up instead of the Stronglight puller due to the cost difference, anyway. Good call on those! I have heard of gear pullers and riding with the crank bolt removed which is why i just assumed there would be destruction/major hassle involved. I am getting pretty pumped about this build! I have Swiss bb and I wasnt sure if it was the right spindle width but I did a test fit and it looks like its going to work; they sit a little inboard but no rubbing or anything so i am just going with it. Thanks again for the replies!
Old 07-22-20, 02:45 PM
HawkeyeMatt

Bikes: Raleigh C-500, Peugeot UO9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re-use crank with stripped thread?

I have a similar problem on a GT Palomar youth mountain bike I'm trying to refurbish (12.5" frame, 24-inch wheel, c. 2000) on the cheap. Bottom bracket is not spinning freely at all - Shimano tapered square cartridge needs replacing, I have concluded. I extracted non-drive side crank but stripped threads on DS crank have me stuck now.

Please advise on the best cost-effective options as far as extracting stuck crank, reinstalling or replacing crank with replacement BB:
  • Do I have to remove the crank before I can get the bracket cartridge out? Is it possible or advisable to take the cartridge out entirely and then try to get the crank off? Is it easiest to get it off using those wedges against the frame's BB hub ... or once the cartridge is off somehow?
  • How would I re-install the DS crank with stripped threads?
  • What is the best way to get drivetrain running well again for under $40?
Old 07-22-20, 04:17 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I rode with stripped crank extractor threads for over 20 years. When I finally had to remove them I used the pickle fork method. Pretty brutal, need a metal shim against the bottom bracket but still wacked it pretty badly. Replaced the crank just last year.

Gear pullers have never worked for me.
Old 07-22-20, 08:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Self extracting crank bolts only work if the crank is already easy to remove, otherwise its a self stripping tool.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-22-20, 09:12 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by disco_kevin30
I have drilled Stronglight cranks that have a fairly stripped bolt area. The threads are semi present, but they definitely dont look good and I plan to order the proper remover so I can ascertain if they are completely ruined or moderately functional. I think I have decided to use them anyway on an upcoming build (Peugeot PKN 10) because they are otherwise in perfect shape. My logic is, I may as well use them and just count on having to destroy them at a point in the future vs not using them at all and just recycling them. I dont mind having to resort to worst case scenario removal if I can get some more life out of them. Has anyone else here knowingly used a part that was damaged and resigned themselves to dealing with a potential hassle down the road?
If it's just the extractor threads that are trashed, but the taper is OK, then absolutely use them - the extractor threads play no structural role in the crank's function. I think Stronglights have a chromed plastic bolt cover that you may not be able to install if the extractor threads are gone, but the cover is only decorative, so NBD. Make sure that your BB is well greased and in good condition, and you'll likely not have to remove the cranks for years. If/when you do, a cheap 2-arm bearing puller from Amazon or an auto parts store can likely be pressed into service to pull the cranks - I've seen these as low as ~$20. . I had a PKN10 as a teenager - it was a workhorse until the derailleur hanger got trashed, and I didn't have the cash or ability to fix it
Old 07-22-20, 10:18 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
It can be purchased directly from Jim Stein. The guy is a real gentleman. Answers the phone himself and always willing to help.
I have one and it works great.
This is a great site - I love cool tools, especially when they're original and just "smart"
Old 07-23-20, 04:55 PM
HawkeyeMatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I rode with stripped crank extractor threads for over 20 years. When I finally had to remove them I used the pickle fork method. Pretty brutal, need a metal shim against the bottom bracket but still wacked it pretty badly. Replaced the crank just last year.

Thanks. That video in this thread above that Moe Zhoost posted is fantastic. Gonna see who's got a pickle fork I could borrow and give it shot - Matt

Last edited by HawkeyeMatt; 07-23-20 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 06:29 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Originally Posted by HawkeyeMatt
Thanks. That video in this thread above that Moe Zhoost posted is fantastic. Gonna see who's got a pickle fork I could borrow and give it shot - Matt
Autozone has free loaner tools

You will scar your bottom bracket though

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 07-23-20 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-24-20, 06:50 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkeyeMatt
I have a similar problem on a GT Palomar youth mountain bike I'm trying to refurbish (12.5" frame, 24-inch wheel, c. 2000) on the cheap. Bottom bracket is not spinning freely at all - Shimano tapered square cartridge needs replacing, I have concluded. I extracted non-drive side crank but stripped threads on DS crank have me stuck now.

Please advise on the best cost-effective options as far as extracting stuck crank, reinstalling or replacing crank with replacement BB:
  • Do I have to remove the crank before I can get the bracket cartridge out? Is it possible or advisable to take the cartridge out entirely and then try to get the crank off? Is it easiest to get it off using those wedges against the frame's BB hub ... or once the cartridge is off somehow?
  • How would I re-install the DS crank with stripped threads?
  • What is the best way to get drivetrain running well again for under $40?
1) Since a cartridge BB requires the cartidge spline tool, yes, you'll need to get the arm off first.
2) If by "stripped threads", you're referring to the threads on the arm, they have nothing to do with attaching the arm to the BB axle, so re-installation would not be affected. You would simply be relegated to using one of the alternate methods (Jacobs wedges, pickle fork, one of a few RJ videos) to remove it next time
3) If you're willing to use one of the alternate methods, cheapest method would be to replace the BB for $15-20 and re-install the arms including the stripped one.* Next cheapest option would be to replace the crankset as well, with an early entry-level one.** If you have a bike co-op nearby that's open, you might find a used one for $20-ish. Are the chainrings on yours riveted on, or bolted?

* Okay, one even cheaper option, but probably not worth the trouble. RJ the Bike Guy even has a video on how to take apart and re-grease a cartridge BB.
** One slim possibility, but not out of the question given it's a near entry-level model, is that this is one of the three late '90s Shimano crankset models that was subject to recall. Might be worth looking up, as you may be eligible for a free replacement.

Last edited by madpogue; 07-24-20 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-28-20, 04:12 PM
HawkeyeMatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

Got the pickle forks from AutoZone, wedged a shim in there, been whacking it good at alternating points... squirted WD-40 inand let it sit ... tried again several days now... crankarm is not coming off or budging.

Neither is the cartridge on the non-drive side that I can access close to budging. Doubting it's worth hacksawing through the crank for this frame.

I'm new to this but losing hope on this frame. Close to calling it quits and junking it :-( though that just seems wrong ... I want to make the Palomar GT a slow steady rebuild / learning experience but it is taking all my bike shop time to no avail now. I've got all the parts off it - in good shape mainly - as a consolation that will save me some face as I cut losses. Thoughts?
Old 07-28-20, 04:41 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
WD40 won't do anything. It's not a penetrant.

HEAT on the arm might help. It will expand at a higher rate than the spindle.

RJ the Bike Guy on youtube has some other options, IIRC.

Last edited by madpogue; 07-28-20 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 05:30 PM
Pop N Wood

Yeah was going to recommend a heat gun. Had to use that on my bottom bracket. Be sure to use a heavy hammer as well. It is often the sharp vibration as much as pressure that gets them to come off.

Hard to believe the pickle fork didn't work. A tool of last resort normally.

One last option would be to clamp the crank arm in a vice than use an air hammer on the end of the spindle. Works great on stub axles on a 240Z. Gonna eat the crank arm though

Some guy on here was claiming liquid nitrogen makes the ultimate stuck seat post remover. Not sure I would mess with that.

I guess next on my list of desperate tools is an angle grinder. Hacksaws take forever.