Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 03-08-20, 11:28 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 201 Posts
I'm don't put too much stock in cadence for my style of riding. As a Triathlete you're essentially a time trialist and running bigger gears at a slower cadence is just normal.
As a personal thing, I just found a comparatively lower cadence suits me. Had I been introduced into this Bike Riding as a cyclist, perhaps I would have found spinning more to my liking. To be clear my relatively low cadence is not layman slow. I'm not really sure what my cadence is, perhaps I'll count today when I finally ride but, probably 70 -80 rpms.
Like C-Cat, I believe the spinning is more Tour/Recovery related. However, I'm sure there's a correlation between power vs cadence vs gearing and may be worth exploring for those motivated by that type of thing. What ever gets you out there enjoying the ride or improving your performance...or enjoy the ride by improving your performance.
Now which Ironman will I choose today?
Old 03-10-20, 07:11 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 94 Posts
It’s too BIG

So I figured out a while ago that my ‘89 Blue smoke is a 56cm. (I thought it was a 54cm.) I kept it in the trainer, I’ve done a ton of rides on it, completely balded the rear tire, and now...I’m wondering if I should part with it because it is truly too big for me. I thought I could limp it along and things might be more comfortable, but after taking out my 54cm Ironman and my 54cm Shogun 500 yesterday, I realize it’s just not working. (They were neglected and I felt bad.)

so here’s the question—can I make it work? The 54s feel light and agile and comfortable. The 56 is an untamable beast. Here’s a picture. Along with my first impression—swapping out the stem might make things better, if only a little. What else can I do? The seat is at my height, it rides nice even though I need to repack the bearings/lube everything.

Robbie has specs on the 54cm.

Old 03-10-20, 07:36 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
As shown, fit/sizing is incorrect for what you are trying to do. No drop from saddle top to bar top is a clue. Why are the bars so high? If the saddle height is correct, then installing an 80mm stem would make the saddle-to-bar stretch more comfortable.

Hot Old Guy tip: when riding in a comfortable position, the front axle should be exactly obscured by the handlebar. Altering the saddle fore-aft position and/or the stem length will correct this if needed, as long as you don't get too crazy with saddle position and lose leverage on the crank arms. BTW, how long are those crank arms?

Three optimum fit measurements you need to figure out and know:
1) Center of BB to top of saddle as measured along the seat tube
2) Center of seat post just below the saddle to center of handlebars where it passes thru the stem
3) Center of handlebar to the ground when bike is vertical

With those three measurments you can get virtually any bike to fit you, or at least come close. Sure there are some relatively minor differences in BB drop and stuff that can throw it off but 99% of the time those three will get you there.

Last edited by rccardr; 03-10-20 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-10-20, 08:15 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
As shown, fit/sizing is incorrect for what you are trying to do. No drop from saddle top to bar top is a clue. Why are the bars so high? If the saddle height is correct, then installing an 80mm stem would make the saddle-to-bar stretch more comfortable.

Hot Old Guy tip: when riding in a comfortable position, the front axle should be exactly obscured by the handlebar. Altering the saddle fore-aft position and/or the stem length will correct this if needed, as long as you don't get too crazy with saddle position and lose leverage on the crank arms. BTW, how long are those crank arms?

2) Center of seat post just below the saddle to center of handlebars where it passes thru the stem

With those three measurments you can get virtually any bike to fit you, or at least come close. Sure there are some relatively minor differences in BB drop and stuff that can throw it off but 99% of the time those three will get you there.
Great info. I use the same #1 with slight variations in 2 and 3.
Old 03-10-20, 08:23 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by seypat View Post
Great info. I use the same #1 with slight variations in 2 and 3.
Yep, yep, I use the same thing.
Obviously makes it easier to setup my bikes. Of course it helps that all my bikes are Super... similar.
Old 03-10-20, 08:40 PM
texaspandj

Actually since three of my IMs are built for Tris and have the same saddle, I measure tip of saddle to stem. And because my crankarms may be different lengths I measure center of pedal to top of saddle (following seat tube). And finally, top of stem to center of front hub (following fork).
My fourth IM is a size smaller and built as a road bike so slightly different saddle fore and aft. However, saddle height and stem height I achieved using my regular methods.
Old 03-10-20, 09:30 PM
seypat

Man, I have been having some bad luck this year. One strange, stupid incident after another. Yesterday, as I was exiting the Sam's Club gas station, there was a car wreck right in front of me. One rear ended another. The front car creeps down into the Walmart parking lot next to the Sam's. The other goes down to a different entrance. I turn behind the front car and keep an eye on the back one. She acts like she is going to turn into the parking lot, but makes a U turn instead, stomps on it and speeds away. Hit and run, Baby! I turn around and take off in pursuit. It's not hot pursuit. You can only pursue so fast in a 1 ton van with a couple of pallets of stuff on it. I lost her at a light about a mile from the scene. So I turn around and go back to the scene. By the time the fuzz arrived and I gave a statement, etc. it was too late to go to Fredericksburg and make my deliveries.
Old 03-10-20, 09:44 PM
seypat

Man, I have been having some bad luck this year. One strange, stupid incident after another. Yesterday, as I was exiting the Sam's Club gas station, there was a car wreck right in front of me. One rear ended another. The front car creeps down into the Walmart parking lot next to the Sam's. The other goes down to a different entrance. I turn behind the front car and keep an eye on the back one. She acts like she is going to turn into the parking lot, but makes a U turn instead, stomps on it and speeds away. Hit and run, Baby! I turn around and take off in pursuit. It's not hot pursuit. You can only pursue so fast in a 1 ton van with a couple of pallets of stuff on it. I lost her at a light about a mile from the scene. So I turn around and go back to the scene. By the time the fuzz arrived and I gave a statement, etc. it was too late to go to Fredericksburg and make my deliveries.
So I go there today. After the deliveries, I spot a couple of vintage drop bar roadies in front of a pawn shop. I stop and take a look. After the look, I was walking back to the van and noticed a sheet metal screw imbedded in one of my tires. I still have to drive back to Richmond. I find a level spot and remove the screw. Even though it was in a tread knob it is long enough to go through and the tire starts leaking. I have to put on the spare. Now the glass half full person would say finding the screw was actually good luck because the tire could have blown out on the return trip and caused a bad accident. Still, it seems like something like this is happening every week. Every freaking week.
Old 03-10-20, 10:06 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Originally Posted by rccardr View Post

Thank you!

The bars are high because I've never bothered to adjust them. They're for another rider. My seat is adjusted to me, and the saddle replaced with one Robbie sent me. I've only ridden this bike outside for about 40 miles, the longest around 15mi. The rest were trainer. 20mi was the longest so far, per my training plan.

I just feel stretched out when on this bike. I can ride it in the drops and in aero, but it's always felt like I'm to my full extent. I would offer it to my husband (who is my inseam but a longer torso) but he seems to be afraid that he's going to break my "dainty" bike.
*sigh*

Last edited by TriBiker19; 03-11-20 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-11-20, 04:08 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 893 Times in 569 Posts
Yepper, da Doc knows.
1) Center of BB to top of saddle as measured along the seat tube. 28.875 to 29.00 inches.
2) Center of seat post just...….where it passes thru the stem. 61cm.
3) Center of handlebar to the ground when bike is vertical. Depends how aggressive I feel.
Now, if you want to save that 56cm for yourself... based on the photos and my extensive experience trying to fit a 5'6" man on a 56cm bike for thousands of miles. (Oh, wait, it wasn't "trying." It was done.)

1-go shorter on the stem. 70mm or 80mm max. Period. Handling will be a bit twitchier.
2-zero-setback seat post. Period. Yes, you may be 20-25mm farther forward. So be it.
You just gained up to 2", maybe more. A bit twitchier, but so much easier to reach the DT shifters.

Other options:
1-shorter reach bars. Hard to find in C&V, and not always measured the same.
2-saddle position. Don't exceed the marks on the rails; but some saddles have longer rails and enable this.
3-raising the bars. This moves them back, too, but not much. It eases the bendover. Comfort = speed.
4-crank arm length. Newly popular (the trends cycle a lot, pun intended). Pick up a few mm in height.
5-saddle type. Yep, makes a difference. I still have that Vetta that I think you would like.

Putting it bluntly, you can't change much about where your feet go.
(crank arm length, foot position)

You can change more about where your butt goes.
(seat post set back, saddle height, rail length, mounting position-sounds like a romance novel).

Your butt location makes a difference in where your hands end up.
(gonna stop while I'm ahead).

Like Doc says, you can make a bike fit. It may not be your optimal fit, but it can fit.
Another way of seeing it, is triathletes generally think pain is good.
Good for them. Don't think that way.

I have unfinished business.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-11-20 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 08:11 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
You make some excellent points, Robbie. The best one, which you infer, is that starting with the corrct size bike makes a difference in performance. Yes, we can play with shorter stems and saddle placement and seatpost setback, but the best performance comes from a setup that fits the rider to begin with. It took me (literally) years to learn that a 57cm seat tube, a 56cm top tube and a 100mm stem were my magic numbers. Sure, I CAN ride a 55 or a 59, but I'll never be as comfortable or as efficient as I am on what really fits me.

"Getting all of the contact points right makes the pain tolerable." You can quote me on that.

Last edited by rccardr; 03-12-20 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-11-20, 08:27 PM
texaspandj

Doc beat me to it. RT knows more about making a larger than needed bike fit than just about anyone. But ...the right size just makes things easier.
I've had a 46, 50, 52, 54, 56, and 60 cm Ironman and at a vertically challenged 5'7" I figured out 54cm works for me.
​​​
Old 03-11-20, 09:59 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

They used to say the proper fit makes all 3 contact points go numb at the same time. It's what I aim for in cold weather.

Sort of.
Old 03-12-20, 10:20 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
As some may know my Miami Vice has been on display at my local COOP that i am involved with. a couple weeks ago they decided that the bikes on display really needed a display tag. i really liked the one they made for my MV.

Old 03-12-20, 11:53 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by fleslider View Post
As some may know my Miami Vice has been on display at my local COOP that i am involved with. a couple weeks ago they decided that the bikes on display really needed a display tag. i really liked the one they made for my MV.

That's Awesome.
Old 03-12-20, 11:57 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 376 Posts
^^^^^ Except for the millennials who come into the co-op, read the sign, and ask "Who's Don Johnson?"
Old 03-13-20, 08:09 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
^^^^^ Except for the millennials who come into the co-op, read the sign, and ask "Who's Don Johnson?"
Similar to this news about John Travolta. "Who's John Travolta?"

Old 03-13-20, 12:01 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Similar to this news about John Travolta. "Who's John Travolta?"

Oh, that's the guy who was in the old movie, Pulp Fiction.
Old 03-13-20, 12:10 PM
seypat

In other news, I did not like the way the Turbo looked with black rims. Thought I would, but I like it with shiny ones more. I also did not like the Suntour barcons compared to the Shimano L600s. So, I ordered in some different stuff. Still waiting on the spokes and another set of L600s.
Old 03-13-20, 02:30 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

I’ll bet they know who Dakota is...

I have unfinished business.

Old 03-13-20, 04:08 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
I’ll bet they know who Dakota is...
Who's Dakota?
Old 03-13-20, 05:01 PM
seypat

Who's Dakota?
I think she's the daughter of the actress in those two old movies Body Double and Something Wild. After those movies she got an ordinary desk job and started working 9-5. Her husband also wanted an Ironman but couldn't afford it.
Old 03-14-20, 11:10 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

I think she's the daughter of the actress in those two old movies Body Double and Something Wild. After those movies she got an ordinary desk job and started was a Working Girl. Her husband also wanted an Ironman but couldn't afford it.
FIFY.
Cherry 2000. I believe she was quite young, if not under age, when she became the missus of Mr. Miami Vice.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-14-20 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-14-20, 11:54 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
FIFY.
Chetry 2000. I believe shevwas quite young, if not under age, when she became the missus of the Mr. Miami Vice.
Cherry 2000 was one of the classic "Midnight Movies" in my area along titles such as:
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Flesh Gordon
Death Race 2000
The Perils Of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak
The Further Adventures of Tennessee Buck
and many others. In a true twist of irony, North Texas and the DFW/Fort Worth Metroplex always had a special place in it's heart for the Rocky Horror Picture Show experience.

My son will be 18 in June. I need to find the Porky's trilogy and give it another viewing. They just can't make movies like that any more.

I have Big Trouble In Little China, Streets of Fire & The Warriors on disc. He's already seen those. Great movies like that need to be watched, not forgotten. If Tom Cody road a bike, it would be an Ironman.

Last edited by seypat; 03-14-20 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-14-20, 12:16 PM
seypat

Speaking of "Who's Don Johnson?" and old, I turn 55 next week. I thought about getting me one of these as a self gift. I am afraid that nobody will no what it means except me, and Robbie, of course.

https://www.redbubble.com/people/sup...lan-sweatshirt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.