Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 08-13-20, 05:01 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
That particular year broke a lot.
Old 08-13-20, 07:36 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
That particular year broke a lot.
Yep, the Achilles Heel. Remove the right shifter and see how many of the six tangs remain. Bet it ain’t a lot of them.
Good news is that there are plent6 of 105 and Exage shifters out there with an improved design that will work just fine...and are cheap.
Keep those levers, though, cuz the socket will accept DA 6, 7 and 8 speed indexing pods as well as 8,9 and 10 speed Shimano indexing pods. Just in case.
Old 08-13-20, 07:38 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 108 Posts
I seem to have gotten the shifting sorted out. I took the shift lever apart, cleaned out a bunch of dirt and reassembled it. Good to go at this point!
Likes For orcas island:
Old 08-13-20, 09:21 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by orcas island
Im working a bit on my 1986 (Grey) Ironman and wondered if anyone had a suggestion for replacement brake hoods to fit the Shimano 600 lever set that is on there currently? A good fitting set of no name replacement hoods is fine for my purposes. Thanks in advance!

I think the Cane Creek brand will work. Let me check tomorrow and get back with a definite answer.
Old 08-14-20, 08:56 AM
seypat

Dia Compe is still in bidness.

ROAD&RACING | Product Category | DIA-COMPE

https://www.amazon.com/cane-creek-br...ek+brake+hoods

It appears the Cane Creeks are non areo and a little short. I think the Dia Compe BL07 listed on the A-Zon page as well as the Origin8 listed on that page would work. You might have to trim some off the back of the BL07s. Or not.

Last edited by seypat; 08-14-20 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-14-20, 10:49 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Actually, those BL07s don't look right, with that diagonal front edge. I think you'll need a set shaped like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/274441949651

Unfortunately those ^^^^^ are gum brown, couldn't find any in black on the 'Bay. But you know, nothing goes better with the timeless, understated, dignified colorway tones of a silver-on-pewter version of this bike than:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312766583688
Old 08-14-20, 11:40 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by orcas island
Ahh. I just began to wonder if perhaps these weren’t the original equipment on the bike... Thanks!
They are original , the 1986 Catalog specs them both ways either the Dia Compe's or the Shimano 600.
Old 08-14-20, 01:42 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Dia Compe is still in bidness.

ROAD&RACING | Product Category | DIA-COMPE

https://www.amazon.com/cane-creek-br...ek+brake+hoods

It appears the Cane Creeks are non areo and a little short. I think the Dia Compe BL07 listed on the A-Zon page as well as the Origin8 listed on that page would work. You might have to trim some off the back of the BL07s. Or not.
FWIW, the BL 07 hoods are a PERFECT fit on the SunTour Edge levers on my '90 Black Lightning.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 08-16-20, 07:48 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
But you know, nothing goes better with the timeless, understated, dignified colorway tones of a silver-on-pewter version of this bike than:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312766583688

And here is a good price for the frameset to match those hoods.

I swore off 58cmX57cm as too small.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...178182286.html

Old 08-16-20, 08:23 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
^^^^^^ +1, those hoods would rock on a Miami Vice edition. They might fall off that bike, however, with no levers to hold them up
Old 08-19-20, 08:36 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
We finally got a cool front in Cen-Tex so now in the 90s. Good thing too as the 100 mile self imposed ride on the 29th is fast approaching. I'm not sure my riding buddy will ride it with me. He rode 40 the other day but said 100 is a whole different ball game. So I said what if we just do a 25 mile course 4 times. He proposed doing the first and last 25 or some other combination. But I have a problem with that as he'll start off fast as usual and then I'll have to gut out the rest. I said just do the whole thing and go my pace. I think that's his whole worry that he won't be able to sustain his regular pace, which we wouldn't be able to. But he likes to push it.
Since I'll probably have to ride by myself I'm thinking of riding the first 25 miles on my '86 Ironman the second on my '87 Ironman, the third on my '88 Ironman and the last on my '89 Ironman. Since my out and back 25 mile course is my place of business (where I keep my bikes) it should be relatively easy to do. It'll be my official rest stop.
My wife is 100% behind my crazy endeavor and may even ride the last 25 miles with me. She's always supportive of anything involving physical fitness or staying healthy.
I already have thoughts on what my rest stop will be stocked with.
Later Ironkids.
Old 08-20-20, 06:39 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Getting ready.:.

Back-to-back centuries planned for Sat-Sun.

Saturday is actually an 80-mile charity ride that is not canceled. The last rest stop is at 75, so we hit that, backtrack 10 and do it again to hit the 3-digit mark. I may be cut loose to open it up for a 5-hour shot. Westward finish into the wind, so it could be “a day.”

Sunday is disorganized but we expect several. I’m scheduled to pull the entirety but hope to get some backup. The group intends to go after six hours, with a real mix of abilities, so my cat herding mode will be in effect.

I’ve been climbing well, putting my 1x through its paces. A local ride/route guru is really making us better as a group, even across power and endurance levels.

To try and improve, I am getting after the climbing, then looping back to climb again with the groove and go group. My back can’t take standing, so going back down and spinning back up is working out well. It’s giving me about 12% more mileage and about 20% more climbing elevation than otherwise. The extra is a a more relaxed pace, so now I know what Doc meant by “grooving” when the time is right.

I’m fortunate that St. Louis has such a good bunch of cyclists. In every way.
Old 08-20-20, 10:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I did some 50-75 mile rides this month in the heat to prepare, but I may have overtrained. My legs are dead this week, low energy, so I'm taking it very easy, trying to keep my heart rate and effort down, so hopefully I'll be ready by the end of the month. It's been a year, last August, since my last full century. Usually neck cramps keep me down to 50-75 miles. We'll see how it goes next week.

Meanwhile I've swapping components around on the Ironman. I just found a frayed cable on the right downtube shifter last night. While I'm replacing cables I think these date back to 2018), I'm gonna swap out the Suntour GPX for Shimano Light Action friction shifters and maybe a Shimano 600 Tricolor or other Shimano RD just for giggles. I also have a Dura Ace 7-speed downtube shifter set, but I'm not sure whether it's compatible with an 8-speed 600 Tricolor RD. Guess I could find out by trying it myself.
Old 08-21-20, 05:46 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by canklecat
I did some 50-75 mile rides this month in the heat to prepare, but I may have overtrained. My legs are dead this week, low energy, so I'm taking it very easy, trying to keep my heart rate and effort down, so hopefully I'll be ready by the end of the month. It's been a year, last August, since my last full century. Usually neck cramps keep me down to 50-75 miles. We'll see how it goes next week.

Meanwhile I've swapping components around on the Ironman. I just found a frayed cable on the right downtube shifter last night. While I'm replacing cables I think these date back to 2018), I'm gonna swap out the Suntour GPX for Shimano Light Action friction shifters and maybe a Shimano 600 Tricolor or other Shimano RD just for giggles. I also have a Dura Ace 7-speed downtube shifter set, but I'm not sure whether it's compatible with an 8-speed 600 Tricolor RD. Guess I could find out by trying it myself.
C-Cat, I feel you on the overdoing it esp in the heat. I've been mostly no work out this week but I'm excited about the challenge of the 100 mile ride so I feel I'm ready. Still not in shape the way RT is. Man, at my current fitness level completing a (1) century is challenging enough. Shout out to RT.
I had the light action on my '86 Panasonic bitd and it worked good. Seems to me the tricolor 600 8 speed RD should work fine with the 7 speed DA shifters however I have no actual experience with that setup.
Funny I was gonna pm you and see if you got the DA 8 speed shifter and RD on the CV sales thread. BTW, I still have your tricolor group...someday I'll get it to you. I may just have to make a special trip to Fort "party' Worth.
Old 08-21-20, 06:33 AM
seypat

You Texas people have to be careful this time of year. I don't know what the weather is like where RT is at. The problem is your sweat evaporates so fast that you can't really tell when you get in the danger zone. That sun bakes your a$$ out quickly. If you're not taking in enough fluids and being careful, you can get in a life threatening situation fast.

That's in direst contrast to where I live. You walk out of the house and the soupy humidity immediately hits you in the face. Moist is a word you get very familiar with. It's more uncomfortable that the Texas stuff, but not as life threatening.

Speaking of humidity, last Saturday the Richmond area set various records for rainfall. July was the wettest on record. August already is as well. We had 6-10 inches(depending on the specific areas) that fell that day. The Marathon training run that morning was 13 miles. I know people gripe about being out in those conditions, but at least the rain keeps the heat away. You just have to put up with stepping in puddles/mini streams and your shoes full of water. I had to run holding my glasses most of the time because they needed some mini windshield wipers on them.

Last edited by seypat; 08-21-20 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-21-20, 06:46 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

You Texas people have to be careful this time of year. I don't know what the weather is like where RT is at. The problem is your sweat evaporates so fast that you can't really tell when you get in the danger zone.

That's in direct contrast to where I live. You walk out of the house and the soupy humidity immediately hits you in the face. Moist is a word you get very familiar with. It's more uncomfortable that the Texas stuff, but not as life threatening.

St. Louis is humid. Two rivers humid. Not as bad as Memphis.
Never thought about the sweat drying issue in TX.
Chances are, at HHH, I'd have blundered right into that.
Looks decent for the virtual ride. There, jinxed it.

We'll need pics from the folks who do a ride on the 29th. I plan to ride an Ironman, of course.

My "new" bike wouldn't be appropriate, or ready. I did get the R BB cup off, finally.
Some minor repair on the rear brake bridge (some dumbie put a star washer on it, tightened the caliper, and cut the carbon).
There is a "tightening" of the steerer at full L, so I'll check that headset.
Sometimes, getting bikes from not-so-careful builders is a lesson in patience.
I rationalize it when I look up even the bars and seat post on eBay. Holy cow.

Gotta swap some chain rings onto the DA9100 crankset, then build it.
We'll see how a modern Italian carbon with DA9100 can handle a Wolftooth Roadlink and a 34t rear.

I'm also going to surprise a guy this weekend with a 59cm Y-Foil frame, gratis.
Just to see what he can do with it. And I'll need a favor, eventually.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 08-21-20 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-21-20, 06:47 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

The Marathon training run that morning was 13 miles. I know people gripe about being out in those conditions, but at least the rain keeps the heat away. You just have to put up with stepping in puddles/mini streams and your shoes full of water.
BTDT. Blisters?
Old 08-21-20, 07:13 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Don't minimize the dangers of high humidity. Your skin and clothing will acquire moisture that may or may not actually be perspiration depending on whether you are fully hydrated. So you can be slimy and dripping but also internally dry.
Rode Skyline Drive last weekend, 48 miles and 5700 feet of climbing. Humidity was over 85% and the temps in the high 60's/low 70's. Only time in my riding career where I was both drippy and cold.
Had to work at keeping the fluids consumed & at the end of the day had downed a bunch of electrolytes without much of a pee stop.
So, there's that.
Old 08-21-20, 07:59 AM
seypat

St. Louis is humid. Two rivers humid. Not as bad as Memphis.
Never thought about the sweat drying issue in TX.
Chances are, at HHH, I'd have blundered right into that.
Looks decent for the virtual ride. There, jinxed it.

We'll need pics from the folks who do a ride on the 29th. I plan to ride an Ironman, of course.

My "new" bike wouldn't be appropriate, or ready. I did get the R BB cup off, finally.
Some minor repair on the rear brake bridge (some dumbie put a star washer on it, tightened the caliper, and cut the carbon).
There is a "tightening" of the steerer at full L, so I'll check that headset.
Sometimes, getting bikes from not-so-careful builders is a lesson in patience.
I rationalize it when I look up even the bars and seat post on eBay. Holy cow.

Gotta swap some chain rings onto the DA9100 crankset, then build it.
We'll see how a modern Italian carbon with DA9100 can handle a Wolftooth Roadlink and a 34t rear.

I'm also going to surprise a guy this weekend with a 59cm Y-Foil frame, gratis.
Just to see what he can do with it. And I'll need a favor, eventually.
Always working the angles. Speaking of your new modern bike, you never answered my question. Is the new modern bike another "ghost" as in Wraith. I was looking at the website a few weeks ago. It says it has expired today. I hope he is still in business.
Old 08-21-20, 08:10 AM
seypat

BTDT. Blisters?
No. If there is one I have learned in my life, It is this. When you find equipment that works, stay with it until it doesn't work anymore. I will plug Swiftwick socks. I've never had a blister while wearing those. Another thing I have learned. You can never have too much friction control. On a day like that, any place that might have a contact point with clothing, etc. put some friction control on it. Toes, Achilles heels, inside of your arms, whereever. Any place that might rub on something else, lather it up.
Old 08-21-20, 08:15 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Funny I was gonna pm you and see if you got the DA 8 speed shifter and RD on the CV sales thread.
Yup, I did! I figured I'd better pounce. Even inexpensive brifters from MicroShift, MicroNew and others are harder to find now due to the economic slowdown.

So I snagged two sets of the same DA 8-speed brifters and RDs. One set will go on the Trekenstein.

The other might go on a Diamondback carbon fiber frame. I have some 10-speed DA stuff, but only bar-end shifters, not brifters.

Or maybe I'll turn the Diamondback into a time trial bike. I'll make it up as I go along.
Old 08-21-20, 08:17 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by rccardr
Don't minimize the dangers of high humidity. Your skin and clothing will acquire moisture that may or may not actually be perspiration depending on whether you are fully hydrated. So you can be slimy and dripping but also internally dry.
Rode Skyline Drive last weekend, 48 miles and 5700 feet of climbing. Humidity was over 85% and the temps in the high 60's/low 70's. Only time in my riding career where I was both drippy and cold.
Had to work at keeping the fluids consumed & at the end of the day had downed a bunch of electrolytes without much of a pee stop.
So, there's that.
Was it raining? If not, probably a fun day.
Old 08-21-20, 08:23 AM
seypat

rccardr, do you know we might get a bike trail that goes between Petersburg and Ashland? If that happens, we might get one that goes all the way to DC as well. You gotta love Sportsbackers. They do so much for the RVA area.

https://www.sportsbackers.org/bike-w...ransportation/
Old 08-21-20, 11:01 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by canklecat
Yup, I did! I figured I'd better pounce. Even inexpensive brifters from MicroShift, MicroNew and others are harder to find now due to the economic slowdown.

So I snagged two sets of the same DA 8-speed brifters and RDs. One set will go on the Trekenstein.

The other might go on a Diamondback carbon fiber frame. I have some 10-speed DA stuff, but only bar-end shifters, not brifters.

Or maybe I'll turn the Diamondback into a time trial bike. I'll make it up as I go along.
That's awesome. I love the look of that particular year of DA brifters. Of course I like DA period over anything else including campy.
Are you still insisting on keeping your Ironman stock?
Old 08-21-20, 12:16 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I sold my Ironman a week ago.

Regrets...I've had a few...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.