Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-23, 05:04 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
Rebuilt a C'dale Slice yesterday...new cockpit toys, rear saddle cages, replaced all cables/housings, etc. Came out nice.
No name adult tricycle that hadn't been used in years...covered in cob webs and spider egg nests...ick...replaced tubes, rim strips and the usual tuneup stuff. Always funny to adjust the leather band style rear brake...still working well.
Old 04-29-23, 01:16 PM
50yr_roadie
2wheelfan

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race, Giant TCR, Peugeot PSV10, Peugeot UO-8(2), Peugeot UE-8, FUJI S12-S LTD, Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice touch!

Originally Posted by ascherer
Replaced the Delrin washers on the Mk I’s Mafac Competitions with spiffy brass ones. The bushings are already brass, or I would have done those as well.
Where'd you find them? I'm doing a restoration / period-correct upgrade of a '74 black and gold Peugeot uo-8. This would be a nice touch.
Old 04-29-23, 01:48 PM
DAbiker2023

Bikes: 1985 Bridgestone T700, 2000 Flite 300, Jamis Sputnik, 77/78 Motobecane Grand Something, Bridgestone CB1, 75 Takara 732, Austro Daimler Inter10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Bridgestone T700

Done. Replaced the new wheels with the refurbished originals.

with new CR18 rims.

with original Sansin/Arya wheels
Likes For DAbiker2023:
Old 04-29-23, 03:35 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by 50yr_roadie
Where'd you find them? I'm doing a restoration / period-correct upgrade of a '74 black and gold Peugeot uo-8. This would be a nice touch.
C&V: where a simple question gets you a loooong answer.
If you're working on a UO-8 it would have MAFAC Racer brakes. The pivot assembly is different between the Racer and the Competition I posted about, and you can't just replace the outer washers on Racers. I upgraded a set of Racers this winter, here's some pics:

The item that looks like a red tophat is an integrated bushing/washer and the flat washer sits behind the brake arms. I got the bushings from another forum member, and there's a conversation about them here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post22806136. The old Delrin bushings came out easily and I used a vise to push in the new ones. The old pivot bolts could have been polished but in my experience they just get dull again so I replaced them with allen bolts, I think they're M6. I got the brass washers and allen bolts from my local hardware store, they both needed some modification, the bolts had to be cut shorter and the inner diameter of the washers needed to be a bit larger. I used a reamer and files for that. Alternatively, you can buy some excellent and pricey ready-to-go parts from Rene Herse.

Competitions use metal bushings and flat Delrin washers fore and aft, so it was a simple matter to clean everything up and put the brass washers on. Hope this is helpful, good luck with the resto and post some pictures!

Likes For ascherer:
Old 04-29-23, 03:42 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Just picked this Dawes Super Tourist up off FB market place.

It was covered with dried, caked on mud and dust. I hosed it off and applied a liberal dose of PB blaster to everything.
I will let it sit in the garage for a couple of days to let the pb blaster do it’s thing and evaporate. The smell can be pretty intense in closed in basement!
Old 04-29-23, 04:23 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 820 Posts
Once again, I partially re-built my Fuji Ace, now a 1 X with 44t chain ring, and 11-40 10 speed cassette. The bike has been my experimental rat for trying different things, including refinishing. Through all the changes, I have not spent many dollars on it. It's been stuff I had on hand or was given to me, or traded an item for something else. It has been a really good learning tool for me. It has compact drop bars with a 4600 right brifter, and 6500 on the left with just the brake cable. Pretty sure I will be switching to a Velo Orange Porteur bar, bar end lever on the right, and cross type brake levers. The crankset is FSA Omega with just the one ring on the outside.
I took it out for a 20 mile ride today, all is good and operating as it should. I have 30mm Zaffiro Pro G tires on it, maxes out at 32, an old set of Bontrager Race Lite wheels that are really good condition. The bike is really comfortable, but definitely on the heavy side.
I really thought I would not do a 1 X, but I had stuff and a rainy windy day yesterday. The Fuji was just sitting partially torn down. I thought I was giving it to a nephew, but he never got back with me. Being that I am about a 95% good pavement rider, and live in flatland Delaware, the 1X is just a curiosity for me. I like it fine, the gears matchup with me pretty well. I do really feel a couple of the gear jumps, particularly 15t to18t. I feel the change from 18t to 21t, but not quite as much.
I am glad I did it, and no will no longer have that question bouncing around in my brain. Now, if my nephew decides he wants to claim it, I will likely give it up. I have posted too many pics of this bike through all the changes, it looks basically the same, no need to post another.
Old 04-29-23, 11:37 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
I got started on the 11 speed gear hub NJS Stratos track bike. The frame spread went well, cold set to 136mm, no drama the dropouts aligned easily as did the frame. Park tools are the shiznit...
Next up will be verification of the chain line and develop a plan for the shift cable routing for the Alfine Hub.

Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr

: Mike
Old 04-30-23, 06:15 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
Where are you going with this? Track bike, no provisions for braking....with a freewheeling 11 speed hub...?

There has to be a plan behind this.

cheers -mathias
Old 04-30-23, 01:49 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Originally Posted by steine13
Where are you going with this? Track bike, no provisions for braking....with a freewheeling 11 speed hub...?

There has to be a plan behind this.

cheers -mathias
Hi Mathias,
There is a concept, sort of a modern day 1947 Raleigh Record Ace only short and twitchy. I'm trying to keep the build as simple as possible, target weight is 19 lbs. I might be a bit over though. Brakes will be Avid Shorty Ultimate CX cantilever (ordered) on braze on posts. Cockpit will be a titanium Brooks B15 swallow that has been in a box for the last 4 years, bars will be Nitto B125 in a 80mm Nitto Craft stem, seat post will also be a Nitto NJS part.
I'm currently looking for a good local wheel builder as my last guy turned out to be a flake... ouch. any way here is a preview of the crankset.

Old 04-30-23, 07:28 PM
Bergz
Bergz

Bikes: Woodrup, Avanti, no-name

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 51 Posts
Busted bench vice....

I picked up 3x 700c wheels from the metal recycling pile at the dump at the weekend, mainly for the near new Continental 35mm tires. One had a 7 speed Shimano freewheel I wanted so out with the splined removal tool. Didn't budge but the removal tool began to slip.... I read somewhere that you can tap an appropriate sized bolt into the freewheel splines and use that. Found an appropriate bolt and clamped up in the vice. A good wrench on the rim later and I heard a great "crack" Great, that's broken it free I thought.
Hmmm. sure had broken it! And worst of all, the freewheel is still stuck.
Old 04-30-23, 09:18 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts

VO Diagonale rims, 105 hubs, Sapim race spokes, 650b. For a Fuji S12S LTD resto-mod
Old 04-30-23, 10:53 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

Originally Posted by Bergz
I picked up 3x 700c wheels from the metal recycling pile at the dump at the weekend, mainly for the near new Continental 35mm tires. One had a 7 speed Shimano freewheel I wanted so out with the splined removal tool. Didn't budge but the removal tool began to slip.... I read somewhere that you can tap an appropriate sized bolt into the freewheel splines and use that. Found an appropriate bolt and clamped up in the vice. A good wrench on the rim later and I heard a great "crack" Great, that's broken it free I thought.
I’m a big vice fan! I’ve got them everywhere! Sorry to see yours this way!
Old 05-01-23, 02:23 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Man that must have been well mounted. Mine always turn
Old 05-01-23, 04:44 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 254 Posts
Yeah... "Made in England" is the direct cause of the crack... You need some replacement "Made in Germany". Some proper Heuer. Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Heuer whatsoever.
Old 05-01-23, 09:52 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
We like to think of a vice as indestructible and they often are.

Looks like maybe no spacer on the other side of the jaws, uneven load, snap!

They need a little love from time to time, ya gotta lube the screw and slide from time to time.
Old 05-01-23, 05:41 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Stem Wedge Repair Fail

I picked up a well abused Trek 830 a few weeks back for a parts bike. I was mainly interested in the drivetrain and shifters, however, any additional good parts are always good to save for some future project. In trying to get the bike apart, the stem was stuck. I loosened the stem bolt and gave it a few more wacks with carpenters hammer. Then hit the stem bolt harder but not hard enough to damage the bolt. The stem wedge loosened. It turned out that the shop that assembled the bike greased the seat post but not the stem wedge. Or maybe that was Trek's job.

The threads in the wedge were damaged from the beating. My fault, maybe.

Well, usually that would be the end of the stem wedge, but I thought I could at least try to repair it by drilling and tapping in a larger bolt, cutting this bolt to fit in the wedge and then drilling and tapping it M6. This is one of those "nothing to loose" propositions. If the repair fails, the part was going to get tossed anyway and I would learn something from the experience.

I should have drilled and tapped a 7/16" - 20 nf, but I didn't have that size screw. So I went for 3/8" - 16 coarse thread. That would not have left enough steel for the M6, but that wasn't the issue. I was able to drill and tap the wedge pretty well. In the process of tightening the vise to hold the wedge while I deformed teh screw threads, I clamped the wedge hard enough to crack it. The crack is easier to see with MarkerfFlux, a crude version of MagnaFlux.

What I learned:
- Stem wedges are cast iron (I knew this already, but had it reinforced)
- Not all stem wedges are the same hardness (softness)
- This wedge was on the softer side
- Don't use a 3/8" bolt to repair an M6 tapped hole
- Don't use a grade 5 bolt to repair a stem wedge because it is too hard
- Use Loctite high strength threadlocker or CA glue to hold the threaded insert in
- Don't try to tighten the wedge in a vise so tight
- Just forget about trying to repair a stem wedge
- I'm an idiot
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 05-01-23, 09:23 PM
Nemosengineer 

It's been a good day, I found a wheel builder local to me and had a nice conversion, made an appointment for Thursday, looks like DT Swiss spokes and nipples.
I don't know when a stash becomes a horde but I think I'm getting close... I found the rims, The seat, NJS Makashima pedals with factory titanium spindles, the bars and the stem. I found the NJS seatpost I was looking for and it's 26.8mm not 27.2mm. Cant win them all but I did find a set of Campy levers I did not know I had : )

Old 05-01-23, 10:02 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I picked up a well abused Trek 830 a few weeks back for a parts bike. I was mainly interested in the drivetrain and shifters, however, any additional good parts are always good to save for some future project. In trying to get the bike apart, the stem was stuck. I loosened the stem bolt and gave it a few more wacks with carpenters hammer. Then hit the stem bolt harder but not hard enough to damage the bolt. The stem wedge loosened. It turned out that the shop that assembled the bike greased the seat post but not the stem wedge. Or maybe that was Trek's job.

The threads in the wedge were damaged from the beating. My fault, maybe.

Well, usually that would be the end of the stem wedge, but I thought I could at least try to repair it by drilling and tapping in a larger bolt, cutting this bolt to fit in the wedge and then drilling and tapping it M6. This is one of those "nothing to loose" propositions. If the repair fails, the part was going to get tossed anyway and I would learn something from the experience.

I should have drilled and tapped a 7/16" - 20 nf, but I didn't have that size screw. So I went for 3/8" - 16 coarse thread. That would not have left enough steel for the M6, but that wasn't the issue. I was able to drill and tap the wedge pretty well. In the process of tightening the vise to hold the wedge while I deformed teh screw threads, I clamped the wedge hard enough to crack it. The crack is easier to see with MarkerfFlux, a crude version of MagnaFlux.

What I learned:
- Stem wedges are cast iron (I knew this already, but had it reinforced)
- Not all stem wedges are the same hardness (softness)
- This wedge was on the softer side
- Don't use a 3/8" bolt to repair an M6 tapped hole
- Don't use a grade 5 bolt to repair a stem wedge because it is too hard
- Use Loctite high strength threadlocker or CA glue to hold the threaded insert in
- Don't try to tighten the wedge in a vise so tight
- Just forget about trying to repair a stem wedge
- I'm an idiot
“It is a fine line between sheer genius and absolute stupidity”. I have crossed this line many times, often in the wrong direction. That said, if you don’t try anything you won’t learn anything!
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 05-02-23, 08:31 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
“It is a fine line between sheer genius and absolute stupidity”. I have crossed this line many times, often in the wrong direction. That said, if you don’t try anything you won’t learn anything!
--- so my idea for starting a B-F Self-Help group for Those of Us Bad at Wrenching (SHTuBaW) is possibly not needed? Several recent failures (one quite epic) have me down a bit. Thinking of starting a 12 Step program to break the habit and just ride the working bikes I have.

Cheers!
mrv ("stop be before I buy another project bike")
Old 05-02-23, 10:33 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Got this Cinelli stem yesterday from @hazetguy. It was black anodized.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-02-23, 02:12 PM
Positron400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

Makes sense you posting it today, as it must've taking you 24 h to get the anodizing off - Kudos! Way too few silver/grey parts out there. Everything seems to have gone black..
Old 05-02-23, 03:13 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by SurferRosa

Good to know CInelli 1A can come black anodised. I will be looking for various black parts in a few months. Wasn't planning Italian components, but good to know there's an option. I only seem to find 3T black stems.
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 05-02-23, 03:33 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Positron400
Must've taking you 24 h to get the anodizing off - Kudos!
Well, I didn't time myself, but it definitely took longer than I thought it was going to. After deanodization, I started with sandpaper, and that was a mistake. Wasted a lot of time. I should have just started with a file to remove all the little cloudy areas left behind and only then moved to 600 grit under a dripping faucet.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-02-23, 08:46 PM
Nemosengineer 

Another good day. Worked on the cockpit swapped out the Campy Record levers for IRD Campy aero copy's for better hand position, fitted the Jtek shifter (its a large item but it has to pull a lot of wire) and used a 0.3mm shim to get a solid instillation (the Nitto bars are 23.8mm, the Jtek is machined to fit 24mm).
Received a shipment from NJS EXPORT, toe straps, pedals, and a really nice NJS Hatta alloy headset. From amazon a Dura Ace shift cable kit.
Some days you have to bite the bullet... The correct size Nitto NJS seatpost had to be ordered from Germany because all the usual sources are out of the 27.2mm, ouch its on the way.

Old 05-03-23, 04:54 AM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Another good day. Worked on the cockpit swapped out the Campy Record levers for IRD Campy aero copy's for better hand position, fitted the Jtek shifter (its a large item but it has to pull a lot of wire) and used a 0.3mm shim to get a solid instillation (the Nitto bars are 23.8mm, the Jtek is machined to fit 24mm).
Received a shipment from NJS EXPORT, toe straps, pedals, and a really nice NJS Hatta alloy headset. From amazon a Dura Ace shift cable kit.
Some days you have to bite the bullet... The correct size Nitto NJS seatpost had to be ordered from Germany because all the usual sources are out of the 27.2mm, ouch its on the way.

I think Hatta used to make Superbe headsets for Suntour back in the 80's.
This will be an interesting bicycle, looking forward to the photos of it when it's built up
Likes For VintageSteelEU:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.