Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Your century bicycle(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 07:25 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I've got the Son hub/Schmidt E6 now, along with a front bag instead of the saddlebag, so it's nearly a dead ringer for an old Frenchy. Still need to make another fork to stabilize the handling with a loaded front bag, but I'm nearly satisfied. Which is nice...

You still thinking about framebuilding, Mike?

Last edited by Six jours; 01-17-08 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-17-08, 07:30 PM
Six jours

Originally Posted by Lamplight
That is a beautiful bicycle, and you should be extremely proud of it! I hope to someday build frames very similar, when I have a place to do it. Are the Grand Bois tires at all puncture resistant? I never see it mentioned, but where I ride it's pretty much a requirement.

Edit: I just saw your blue bike on the previous page, also beautiful! It appears we share similar taste in bicycles!
Thanks mate! I'm awfully happy with it. I have only 500 miles or so on the tires, with no flats and no sign of wear. So far I am very impressed with them, but it's much too early to say anything really definitive. The tread is different -- much thicker -- than the Grand Bois Cypres that I like so much, so I hope them to be less punture-prone. I'll update when there's something more to say.

The blue frame is hanging forlornly in the garage now. I'm thinking of turning it into a traditional French-style porteur.
Old 01-17-08, 08:10 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Six jours
I've got the Son hub/Schmidt E6 now, along with a front bag instead of the saddlebag, so it's nearly a dead ringer for an old Frenchy. Still need to make another fork to stabilize the handling with a loaded front bag, but I'm nearly satisfied. Which is nice...

You still thinking about framebuilding, Mike?
for sure. soon as i figure out being a daddy.
Old 01-17-08, 08:13 PM
Six jours

Yeah. I'm glad I got started when I did; it would be too late now!

Has the blessed event occurred yet?
Old 01-17-08, 08:31 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Which bag are you planning to put on it? Will a lower-trail fork be more stable or less?
Old 01-17-08, 08:44 PM
Six jours

I've got an Ostrich brand bag from Velo-Orange on right now. It's okay, but a little longer front-to-back and shorter top-to-bottom than the good French bags. It was almost $200 less, but I might still bite the bullet and get a Berthoud.

Trail is an interesting little bugger. In this instance, decreasing trail by increasing rake makes the bike less stable, but also decreases wheel flop. The front bag definitely increases the sensation of wheel flop, especially at low speeds, and in conjunction with the wide tires also tends to slow directional change. So in this case, decreasing trail kills two birds, in the sense that I want both a slight increase in sensitivity to directional inputs and a decrease in the tendency of the bike to lean off in unwanted directions at low speeds, especially when riding with hands off the bars.
Old 01-18-08, 01:48 PM
Lamplight

The Ostrich bag seems to be a great deal compared to the Berthoud bags. I really wanted a Berthoud but I just couldn't justify the expense, plus the exact size/color combo I wanted was proving hard to find. I'm trying to learn more about frame geometry, trail, etc. so that I'll have a clue when I try building a frame myself. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-18-08, 02:02 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah. I'm glad I got started when I did; it would be too late now!

Has the blessed event occurred yet?
waiting... waiting... almost worse than being on hold with customer service.
Old 01-18-08, 11:27 PM
Six jours

Originally Posted by Lamplight
The Ostrich bag seems to be a great deal compared to the Berthoud bags. I really wanted a Berthoud but I just couldn't justify the expense, plus the exact size/color combo I wanted was proving hard to find. I'm trying to learn more about frame geometry, trail, etc. so that I'll have a clue when I try building a frame myself. Thanks for the info!
Yeah, that was exactly my thought about the Ostrich bag. My only real problem with it is that it is quite a bit larger front-to-back thn the traditional bags, so it looks a little funny. I have read that having weight forward of the front axle has a negative effect on handling, as well, but don't know if this is the case. I am probably going to pop for a Berthoud bag at some point...

FWIW, if you like this kind of bike and plan on learning how to build them, I'd say getting a hold of all the back issues of Bicycle Quarterly is practically a requirement. There is more info about this stuff in those magazines than any other source I've seen. At the very least, get a copy opf volume three, issue three, which includes a serious investigation of what made the old French bikes handle, along with a dozen or so drawings of various constructeur frames with lengths and geometries included. Invaluable; I've been essentially copying them.
Old 01-18-08, 11:29 PM
Six jours

Originally Posted by bmike
waiting... waiting... almost worse than being on hold with customer service.
Yeah. It's not really bothering me though. She had her last day at work today and is now going on vacation, so she's very relaxed and ready, which makes it easy on me too. I do have the sinking feeling that these are the last restful days we'll be having for the foreseeable future...
Old 01-19-08, 09:24 AM
Lamplight

FWIW, if you like this kind of bike and plan on learning how to build them, I'd say getting a hold of all the back issues of Bicycle Quarterly is practically a requirement. There is more info about this stuff in those magazines than any other source I've seen. At the very least, get a copy opf volume three, issue three, which includes a serious investigation of what made the old French bikes handle, along with a dozen or so drawings of various constructeur frames with lengths and geometries included. Invaluable; I've been essentially copying them.
Thanks, I've been meaning to do that but just haven't gotten around to it. I subscribe to the magazine already but have only been getting it for the last three issues.
Old 01-27-08, 09:21 PM
matthew_deaner

Bikes: Trek 5200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are some pics of my recently finished Salsa Casseroll.

Build list:
Frame/Fork: Salsa Casseroll, 60cm
Pedals: Shimano SPD A-520
Handlebars: Bontrager Race Lite 44cm (from my Trek 5200)
Bar Tape: Fizik Microtex
Headset: Cane Creek S-8
Stem: Cannondale 110mm (from e-bay)
Wheelset: Open Pro / Ultegra hubs with Wheelsmith DB spokes
Crankset: Campy Ultra Torque Centuar CT (compact 50/34)
Chain: SRAM PC971
Rear Der: Shimano XT med. cage
Front Der: Shimano 105
Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace bar-ends, 9-speed
Brakes: Tektro R556 with Kool Stop pads
Brake levers: Tektro R200
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: Brooks B-17
Fenders: SKS P35
Water bottle cages: King
Cassette: Shimano 105 13-25T
Bag: Carradice Barley
Tires: Michelin Carbon 23c right now, switching to Panaracer Pasela 32c soon.
Old 01-27-08, 09:27 PM
biffstephens
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is on page 7 as well....I had done 7 up too then...

I did 17 last year....hopefully more this year and a few under 5 hours..

Old 01-31-08, 02:26 PM
huerro
Villainous

Bikes: Trek 420, Cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just realized I never posted this...My first century bike, immeadiately after the fact:
Old 01-31-08, 10:04 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's my kind of bike right there! (except for the saddle, looks like a butt-hatchet).
Old 01-31-08, 11:44 PM
huerro
Villainous

Bikes: Trek 420, Cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ianjk
That's my kind of bike right there! (except for the saddle, looks like a butt-hatchet).
Thanks! I'm fond of it.

The saddle is actually great. It fit's my skinny butt perfectly and I actually find it more comfortable than my b17.
Old 02-02-08, 11:59 AM
Barabus
My cassette goes to 11

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone, Canondale T2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kraxmel
This one is mine. In fact, I rode 154 miles on it Saturday and one of these days plan to do some touring and week long rides on it.

WOW- really WOWWW!
Old 02-11-08, 09:33 PM
ncherry
Linux HA Author :-)

Bikes: '91 Trek 1100, '98 Mongoose RX100, '06 Giant TCR Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, here's my current century ride:

I did a double century last year on this bike. I love this bike for long rides.
Old 02-12-08, 02:09 PM
JasonJ

Bikes: 2007 Salsa El Santo / 2004 Salsa La Raza / 1998 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matthew_deaner
Here are some pics of my recently finished Salsa Casseroll.
I'm a huge Salsa fan -- I ride a La Raza now and I'm building up an El Santo right now -- and I love your Casseroll. Have you been out on it yet? It looks great.

I'm sure my La Raza would be fine for the odd century, but I keep looking at the Casseroll and wondering if it wouldn't be a better bike for me. The kicker is that I'm lopsided -- my legs want a 58 cm frame while my torso and arms want a 54. Do you think the sloping geometry would help me with that?

I'm planning to be in Minneapolis over March Break, so I'm going to try and see if I can find a shop with a Casseroll I can swing a leg over.

JJ
Old 02-12-08, 05:57 PM
nine
tabula rasa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

here's my lemond but i'm hoping to build this up before the end of the rando season

Old 02-12-08, 06:22 PM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that was exactly my thought about the Ostrich bag. My only real problem with it is that it is quite a bit larger front-to-back thn the traditional bags, so it looks a little funny. I have read that having weight forward of the front axle has a negative effect on handling, as well, but don't know if this is the case. I am probably going to pop for a Berthoud bag at some point...

My only concern with reproducing french geometry is the rides where I don't need a handlebar bag. It's almost like you're designing a car around your favorite suitcase. Is this bike going be specifically for long distance rides where you really want to use the bag?
Old 02-12-08, 06:28 PM
matthew_deaner

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JasonJ
I'm a huge Salsa fan -- I ride a La Raza now and I'm building up an El Santo right now -- and I love your Casseroll. Have you been out on it yet? It looks great.

I'm sure my La Raza would be fine for the odd century, but I keep looking at the Casseroll and wondering if it wouldn't be a better bike for me. The kicker is that I'm lopsided -- my legs want a 58 cm frame while my torso and arms want a 54. Do you think the sloping geometry would help me with that?

I'm planning to be in Minneapolis over March Break, so I'm going to try and see if I can find a shop with a Casseroll I can swing a leg over.

JJ
I've put about 400 miles on the Casseroll so far. I haven't ridden it over 70 miles in one go yet, but plan to do some centuries on it in the spring and some doubles in the late spring/summer.

I'm probably built a lot like you... my legs are really long for my height. The sloping geometry and high head tube do seem to bring the bars in a bit closer as compared to racing-style geometry, but honestly I can't tell a big difference between this bike and my more "racey" ones.

The handling characteristics have been a bit of a surprise. I was expecting really relaxed, slow handling. Instead, the Salsa has somewhat quick steering, much quicker than my Surly LHT and Nishiki Prestige but not as quick as my Centurion LeMans and definitely not as quick as my Trek 5200. The handling seems like a nice compromise for a long distance bike. I thought it was a little too quick at first, but I've gotten used to it and I'm glad the handling is somewhat relaxed but still very much like that of a traditional road-racing bike.

The frame has a nice supple ride, and is surprisingly stiff. For reference, I weigh 170 lbs and am 6-feet tall. I can detect some chainstay flex when climbing seated in a low gear, and I can feel a touch of flex when climbing while standing, but overall the casseroll is one of the stiffer steel frames that I've ridden, while still delivering a nice ride.

Where the Casseroll really shines is fit and finish. The drop outs are hardened, polished stainless steel. The paint is simply perfect. It's a beautiful, rich metal flake, gold color, with a thick clearcoat. It looks so good I hate to take it out in the rain.

I got a good deal on this frame ($289 USD) but now that I've had it for a couple of months, I would have easily have paid full price for it.
Old 02-12-08, 07:49 PM
Six jours

Originally Posted by Hocam
My only concern with reproducing french geometry is the rides where I don't need a handlebar bag. It's almost like you're designing a car around your favorite suitcase. Is this bike going be specifically for long distance rides where you really want to use the bag?
I have a "standard" load that doesn't really change whether it's a 40 mile ride or a 400k. I don't mind carrying a couple of unnecessary pounds on the weekly club rides, etc., so it actually does make sense for me to "design around the bag".
Old 02-13-08, 01:05 AM
ncherry
Linux HA Author :-)

Bikes: '91 Trek 1100, '98 Mongoose RX100, '06 Giant TCR Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mind carrying a couple of unnecessary pounds on the weekly club rides, etc.,
A man after my own heart!

See this link for details: https://www.linuxha.com/other/non-ha/...ded_view_b.jpg (it's my camelbak after a long ride, there wasn't much change in the pack).
Old 02-13-08, 08:34 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a "standard" load that doesn't really change whether it's a 40 mile ride or a 400k. I don't mind carrying a couple of unnecessary pounds on the weekly club rides, etc., so it actually does make sense for me to "design around the bag".
Makes sense, it is a beautiful bike btw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.