Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Opus triton or Surly crosscheck- opinions sought.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 07:19 PM
engo
The spirit is willing...

Bikes: 2013 custom, 1994 Marinoni Special, 1934 Macleans Featherweight, 1984 Bertrand, 2011 self-built custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Until this year, I've commuted on my '94 Marinoni Special. This winter, I sprung for a new groupset and a fresh paintjob for the Marinoni, and I don't want to commute on it any longer.

I also have an '07 Opus triton, which is more of a sportive/tri bike. I've been waffling back and forth between A) just sticking a rack on the back of the Opus and using it to commute, and B) buying the Surly crosscheck frame that's on sale at my LBS, swapping over all the components, and selling the Opus frame.

On the one hand, after spending what I have on the Marinoni, I'm reluctant to spend more. On the other hand, commuting on a sporty bike like the Opus with a rack seems kind of ridiculous.

Thoughts? What would you do?
Old 12-15-08, 07:49 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
I am perfectly happy with my Cross-Check. I have no idea what an Opus Triton is.

But if you already have it and like it, why does keeping it and riding it not make sense? Enjoy its sportiness.
Old 12-15-08, 08:22 PM
kolossal
Fred Hipstaire

Bikes: Fixie, Winter SS Beater, Opus Sentiero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried both frame. The CrossCheck is way better. Heavier, sure, but comfy and durable. If you have the option of building a CC on the cheap, I wouldn't hesitate a second.
Old 12-15-08, 10:18 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never heard of an Opus Triton, but it does look like a fine ride. There is nothing wrong with it as a commuter it would be good. Unless of course you want the options open to easily run fenders, or wider tires, or single speed it, switch to an IG Hub, or switch to any style of bars, or run studded tires, or rack, or any of the things the Cross Check will not only do, but do and and all of them very well.

As a commuter. Cross Check for the win. I love mine.
Old 12-15-08, 10:58 PM
Torrilin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the Opus has the geometry I'd expect from your review last year, I'd guess the chainstays are 42cm or less. Even if it has rack brazeons, with geometry like that, the rack won't carry much. At 42cm, I find about the most I can carry is 40 lbs, and that is pushing it. If they're shorter than 42cm, it could be *much* less. That is not a bike I would put a rack on.

It is unlikely that such a racy bike has the clearance for studded tires. Stock 23mm is awful narrow when you need at least 37mm for studs... and in your climate, odds are you need studs for year round commuting.

All this suggests to me that you'd do better with a more suitable frame. The Cross Check is one of Surly's faster twitchier framesets (keeping in mind that they are pretty cargo and car free focused), so if you need a cargo oriented bike it is probably not the right frame. But something with good tire clearance, room for fenders, and decently long chainstays is the right idea.
Old 12-16-08, 04:42 PM
engo
The spirit is willing...

Bikes: 2013 custom, 1994 Marinoni Special, 1934 Macleans Featherweight, 1984 Bertrand, 2011 self-built custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks y'all,

I kind of came to the conclusion that the Triton was better used by someone else, doing triathalons or something. Glad to hear the majority agree.
I'm not sure if I'll end up with the crosscheck, but I'm definitely now in the market for a bike more touring oriented.

Best,
Neil
Old 12-16-08, 05:02 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by engo
Thanks y'all,

I kind of came to the conclusion that the Triton was better used by someone else, doing triathalons or something. Glad to hear the majority agree.
I'm not sure if I'll end up with the crosscheck, but I'm definitely now in the market for a bike more touring oriented.

Best,
Neil
If not the X-Check, look at the Soma Double Cross. It's another commuter build-a-bike favourite.
Old 12-16-08, 05:10 PM
rmac

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torrilin
If the Opus has the geometry I'd expect from your review last year, I'd guess the chainstays are 42cm or less. Even if it has rack brazeons, with geometry like that, the rack won't carry much. At 42cm, I find about the most I can carry is 40 lbs, and that is pushing it. If they're shorter than 42cm, it could be *much* less. That is not a bike I would put a rack on.
How does the length of the chainstays limit the amount of weight a bike can carry?
Old 12-16-08, 06:19 PM
mstrpete
Big Doofus

Bikes: Trek 830 MTB, Fuji S10-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmac
How does the length of the chainstays limit the amount of weight a bike can carry?
Yes, good question.
Old 12-16-08, 07:51 PM
kolossal
Fred Hipstaire

Bikes: Fixie, Winter SS Beater, Opus Sentiero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is that 40lbs+ tend to be bulky. The more weight you carry, the bigger the panniers will be. On a Triton, that could indeed be a problem if you want to carry loads of stuff. So it's not the weight per se...
Old 12-16-08, 09:49 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
The Triton can't accomodate wide tires, which is a deal breaker for winter commuting in Ottawa. I have a Cross Check and I think you should get one too.
Old 12-16-08, 10:02 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Bikes: Waterford 2200, Litespeed Tuscany, Salsa La Cruz, Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy a Salsa Casseroll or La Cruz frame.
Old 12-16-08, 11:20 PM
AdamD
Biker, Lover, Fighter

Bikes: My own hand built frames

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ok_commuter
mmmmmmm salsa casserole

Old 12-17-08, 12:24 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Buy a Salsa Casseroll if you don't mind a bike with a sloping top tube. Personally I'm not a fan of the look.
Old 12-17-08, 09:38 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Opus is aluminum the Surly is steel. Get the Surly.
Old 12-17-08, 09:40 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ok_commuter
Casseroll is a sexy frame. Especially in the fixie colors.
Old 12-19-08, 09:12 AM
Torrilin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmac
Chainstay length is a way of judging the bike's wheelbase length and how high the bike's center of gravity is. A longer wheelbase is more stable, and a lower center of gravity is more stable. Geometry wise, you can't get a longer chainstay on a bike without doing both.

In my experience (keeping in mind that I'm female, and thus shorter and lighter than the average male), when you overload a bike's rear wheel you get very squirrelly front end handling. It will feel like your front end is skating over ice, while the rear is stable. If you can shift your weight around so the front wheel is weighted more, this improves handling. This is hard for someone my size to do, since there just isn't much weight to shift.

So on my bike with 42cm chainstays, I have a hard and fast cargo maximum of 40lbs. If I go to 45lbs, I can't shift weight around enough to keep the front end stable. A smaller and lighter rider might have a lower limit, and a larger one might have a higher. On my bike with 45cm chainstays, I haven't found the upper limit on the rear yet. (Upper limit for my arthritic joints, yes... upper limit for the bike, no.)

Pannier size and shape definitely seems to play a role. Panniers that are deep, and go all the way down to the axles are better than ones that ride higher. Panniers that carry the weight higher are bad. And then you get into tradeoffs, because if your panniers go down to the axles, you can't shove them very far forward before they start banging your heels. (yeah, chainstay length affects heel strike too!)