Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Blitzu 168T test, can I borrow your lite?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 01:26 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts

Hi folks; this came in today. Manufacturer claims 168 lumens; not too impressed with initial tests:

https://www.amazon.com/Blitzu-Rechar...MXVFZ15R9XPDMA

I'm at the office so the only other light I have here is a Cygolite Hotshot Micro, claiming 30 lumens.
Side by side; the Micro looks brighter. But the 168T's beam is more spread out; while the Micro is narrower.
Anyhoo; testing continues. The only other rear light I have is a Hotshot Pro 80. Was hoping another member
can lend their light(s) for more comparisons. Hoping I can get my hands on more powerful models;
See.sense ICON +, Dinnotte, Lupine, Lezyne Strip Drive, Cateye X5, etc. Will replace your light if I break or
lose your light. Have met fellow members for comparo and have borrowed other member's lights before.
Did I ever pay you for your shipping cost @no motor? ? In exchange I can lend you any of my lights
afterwards; Hotshot Pro 80, Hotshot Micro and Blitzu 168T.

Can also meet tomorrow(Saturday); I volunteered as a riding marshal with Bike New York for Summer Streets.
My assignment is from 6am till 1pm. So I'll have plenty of time to spare.

Hotshot Micro vs Blitzu 168T by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Cyborg 168T vs Cygolite Micro by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 08-12-16, 04:24 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
You did one way or another, I'm still using some of the goodies you stuffed the box with when you returned my light. I wouldn't have any worries about getting a light back if you loan it for his testing either and would loan him another light but I don't have any that he's mentioned.
Old 08-13-16, 04:09 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Hi folks; this came in today. Manufacturer claims 168 lumens; not too impressed with initial tests:

https://www.amazon.com/Blitzu-Rechar...MXVFZ15R9XPDMA
You're comparing apples to oranges ( or to put another way, like comparing a 2ft. fluorescent lamp to a flashlight ). Single high powered leds are very bright. The micro-panel LEDs can't produce the same intensity but since there is a lot of them in one panel they still look bright. The output will be much more dispersed though.

I have two of the smaller versions. While I can't say if the lumen output of these lamps are as claimed I do know that the lamps are indeed very visible if using at dusk or at night. Some people like rear lamps with wide beam patterns and some like narrow. I like both......which is why I use both kinds, wide and narrow. Narrow lamps for conspicuousness at distance and wider output lamps for conspicuousness to the sides and for closer traffic. If you have a Hotshot 80 I would think you already have a lamp that can do a bit of both. Regardless, I doubt the Hotshots are as visible from the sides as these cheap micro-led panel lights. Not to mention ( but I will ) that these cheap micro panel lights are half the cost of the brand name lights.

I think if you were going to only use one rear lamp you might do choose a lamp based on where you intend to use the lamp the most. If you were to use a rear lamp primarily in an urban environment one of the micro-panel lamps might make a decent choice. If you're riding in the sticks you would definitely want a rear lamp with more throw. Then again there's always option three; a rear lamp with a little of both. I would think the newer Hotshots should have both of those bases covered, more or less.