Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clothing help for “short” people.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 04:21 PM
Matt74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This post is for “short” cyclists only. 5’9” and under for men (176 cm), 5’4 for women (163 cm).

I say “short” because most clothing manufacturers don’t make clothes for average height people. It seems stupid to ignore 50% of the population, but they do. Most guys just buy cloths that don’t fit.

Basically sizes are all for tall people of various widths, not for various sizes of people. Where it is listed, cycling manufacturers are using 6’ tall models, with 38” chests, wearing “medium”. This is not average. Now you can talk about “racer” build all you want, but most of us don’t race, and a lot of guys I see in lycra (who are more accomplished than myself) are distinctly overweight. 6 members of Team Sky are 5’9” or under. Very tall slim guys also have problems, but this is for short people. (Start your own thread.)

I am 5’7”, thin, and nothing fits. Nothing. Jerseys bunch up around the waist, and shorts go to my kneecaps. I’m finding that size charts are useless.

If you are “short” please post any clothes you like that fit you.

Please list your (real) height and weight, the brand, model, size, fit (very important: “club”, “race”, etc.), and when you got it.

50% of us thank you!

*50% are 5’9” or SHORTER. CDC: Anthropomorphic Reference Data For Children and Adults: United States, 2011-2014
Also:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ight_worldwide

Last edited by Matt74; 08-05-18 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 04:41 PM
Matt74

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can offer the following:

I’m 5’7”, 150 lbs.
Chest 39, waist (belly) 32, hips 38.

Pactimo and Rapha both sell bibs with short and long inseam options, but I haven’t tried them.

I recently (2018) got a pair of regular “Black Bibs” from https://www.theblackbibs.com/ . They were inexpensive and awesome. A medium fit me great, except the legs were too long, like knee caps long. I would have had them hemmed (which would have been simple because of the construction, but the pad was too thick for me. A nice pad, but a bit bulky for my taste. Some people would certainly like it. I emailed them and they made me a custom version of their medium size “Black Bibs Plus”, with a special shorter inseam and a special thinner pad. They’re a bit tighter in the legs than the regular Black Bibs (different material), but they are working for me. They said they were thinking about putting the shorter version into production - if you email them expressing an interest they might.

I haven’t found a good fit for a jersey yet.

Last edited by Matt74; 08-05-18 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 09:30 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I was 5'6 before I hit fifty. The decreasing height didn't get rediscovered around my middle either so...

Look at the largest youth sizes. My wife thinks it's a boon that she can find me nice clothes at a fraction of the cost otherwise. (She happens to be over 5'9.) best to you

Harv
Old 08-05-18, 11:39 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Height by itself isn't useful without cycling inseam.

I'm 5'9" with a 32in inseam, 135lb, 35in chest, 28in waist, 33in hips.

I've got x-small Rapha Classic bibs, small Pearl Izumi, medium Falconi bibs that all fit (plus a Lusso medium from Merlin that are too big), but the Rapha are much shorter. It should be easy enough buying bibs though, since you can find/ask for inseam length.

I've got jerseys from Pearl Izumi (club and race fit), Pactimo (race and aero), and Voler (club), all small and different degrees of loose, with my Pactimo jerseys being noticeably shorter than PI and Voler. I started cycling this year and lost 10lbs, which is why I'm trending toward smaller and tighter clothing. I also have some difficulty finding the right fit because most budget/mid-level brands don't seem to make smaller than small except for custom orders, and there aren't as many helpful reviews from people my size compared to ones ordering the larger sizes.

Last edited by surak; 09-24-18 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 01:44 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Puleeeeeeze.

At 6'2" (in my youth 6'3") I have no sympathy for you. At least you have the option to buy ANYTHING and have it altered (tailored) to fit your smaller size. One cannot tailor anything larger. SO, as someone at the other end of the spectrum. BOO HOO! (jk)

-Kedosto
*unable to wipe my tears 'cause my sleeves are too short*
Old 08-07-18, 04:40 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
At 5'7", 165lbs, 40" chest and 31" inseam, I know how the jersey fit problem goes. I don't have much trouble with shorts. I've only had the length issue with the Black Bibs shorts(11" inseam on a medium is way too long). My favorite shorts are the Performance Bike brand Ultra shorts in medium. The only jerseys I've found that aren't too long are from Twin Six. The medium fits snug and is just the right length. My only complaint is that the pockets are a bit high and hard to reach into while riding.
Old 08-07-18, 05:06 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I've pretty much abandoned 'proper' cycling clothing. I'm 5'6", 86KG (190lbs) and have a 48" chest. I do a lot of weight-training and bodybuilding so have the exact opposite of a cycling physique! I've bought a few pairs of padded undershorts and I wear unpadded gym, casual or cycling shorts over them. On top I wear my gym clothing which has excellent moisture wicking properties.

I own a few cycling jerseys but hardly ever wear them as I cannot do the zips up due to the size of my chest and shoulders. I have bought some padded cycling shorts and tights from a brand called Funkier which do fit okay. Didoo is another (cheap) brand that sells cycling clothing that fits me.

Under Armor tops (the non-base layer ones) have a nice relaxed fit for those with larger torsos and look good too.

Also, fitness clothing costs a fraction of what proper cycling clothing costs.
Old 09-24-18, 06:47 PM
John HP

Bikes: 1998 Marinoni Leggero, 1988 Tommasini Super Prestige, 2018 Holdsworth Competition, 1996-ish Redline Cross Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Dude

Originally Posted by Matt74
I can offer the following:

I’m 5’7”, 150 lbs.
Chest 39, waist (belly) 32, hips 38.

Pactimo and Rapha both sell bibs with short and long inseam options, but I haven’t tried them.

I recently (2018) got a pair of regular “Black Bibs” from https://www.theblackbibs.com/ . They were inexpensive and awesome. A medium fit me great, except the legs were too long, like knee caps long. I would have had them hemmed (which would have been simple because of the construction, but the pad was too thick for me. A nice pad, but a bit bulky for my taste. Some people would certainly like it. I emailed them and they made me a custom version of their medium size “Black Bibs Plus”, with a special shorter inseam and a special thinner pad. They’re a bit tighter in the legs than the regular Black Bibs (different material), but they are working for me. They said they were thinking about putting the shorter version into production - if you email them expressing an interest they might.

I haven’t found a good fit for a jersey yet.

I know this is old, but I have a pair of the basic black bibs and if it were not for the long legs and thick pad, they would be perfect. Was it more expensive to get a thinner pad? It looks like they are selling the short legged version now.